Social Knives out Triggers Conservative Literati (Spoilers)

O

Overtures

I went to see Knives Out last night. Logistical Notes:

- Cinema: Boogie place, reclining seats, full service eat-as-you-watch restaurant.
- Tab: One Water, One Dr. Pepper, Loaded Tots, Pretzel Bombs, Fish and Chips.
- Marta (main character-ish) is a total babe.

It's a great movie that is simultaneously smart, dumb, funny, and entertaining, perhaps the perfect holiday excursion. But Its political undertones aren't very subtle - a greedy, rich, and white family loses their inheritance, including the family house, to a person of color (Marta) whose heart is pure. The final scene is of Marta standing on the balcony alone as she looks down at the family whose fortune she as just inherited. She is brown, they are white. She is in power, they are not. The power dynamic that has characterized America for hundreds of years is turned upside down.

The National Review put up a review of the movie:
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019...woke-white-left-annihilation-fantasy/#slide-1

The author states, "Rian Johnson has made an annihilation fantasy for the woke white Left." If this isn't the conservative literati's version of being triggered, I don't know what is. The author's thesis is that the movie triumphantly proclaims that people of color are in fact taking over America's culture and politics. Is it really, though? Marta isn't annihilating anyone in the movie, and the family, even without their inheritance, will be just fine.

Why isn't Hollywood allowed to make movies that scrutinize race relations without a white guy with a degree from Penn State claiming the stories are actually about genocide?

I'm thinking you take your education on race relations from Shaun King.

Dump.

I'm torn between being amused at the triggered conservatives, and hating Rian Johnson for being terrible.

@HereticBD wants threads dumped all the time.

Just the dumb ones, like this thread.

Seriously, have you heard of any political controversy surrounding this movie? It's pure baseless click bait, typos and all.

I went to see Knives Out last night. Logistical Notes:

- Cinema: Boogie place, reclining seats, full service eat-as-you-watch restaurant.
- Tab: One Water, One Dr. Pepper, Loaded Tots, Pretzel Bombs, Fish and Chips.
- Marta (main character-ish) is a total babe.

It's a great movie that is simultaneously smart, dumb, funny, and entertaining, perhaps the perfect holiday excursion. But Its political undertones aren't very subtle - a greedy, rich, and white family loses their inheritance, including the family house, to a person of color (Marta) whose heart is pure. The final scene is of Marta standing on the balcony alone as she looks down at the family whose fortune she as just inherited. She is brown, they are white. She is in power, they are not. The power dynamic that has characterized America for hundreds of years is turned upside down.

The National Review put up a review of the movie:
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019...woke-white-left-annihilation-fantasy/#slide-1

The author states, "Rian Johnson has made an annihilation fantasy for the woke white Left." If this isn't the conservative literati's version of being triggered, I don't know what is. The author's thesis is that the movie triumphantly proclaims that people of color are in fact taking over America's culture and politics. Is it really, though? Marta isn't annihilating anyone in the movie, and the family, even without their inheritance, will be just fine.

Why isn't Hollywood allowed to make movies that scrutinize race relations without a white guy with a degree from Penn State claiming the stories are actually about genocide?
It's a nice insight into his thought process. Being in an economically lower class is equal to annihilation, well if it's white people who lose the economic power anyway. The other way around was just the way things are.

Just the dumb ones, like this thread.

Seriously, have you heard of any political controversy surrounding this movie? It's pure baseless click bait.
I've never even heard of the movie but I don't keep track of Hollywood.

Then shaddup, dork.
The fact that I have never heard of a movie is not a good barometer for if a movie is well known or not. I don't think the thread is more clickbaity than other threads that survive in the war room.

I would not be eating fish n chips from the movies.

I do not need those types of shits when I get home from the theater.

Just be an adult and enjoy Parasite instead. #koeaisbest

I can't believe this is a thread, but it did make me chuckle so thanks for that.

Back