Knock down on the ropes

The Association of Boxing Commissions later eliminated the standing eight count in 1998 and it is usually not invoked in professional bouts today.

A standing eight count is different from a mandatory eight count, which is only assessed once a fighter is knocked down.

Usyk should have won by KO if ref followed the rules.

The other question is why Usyk laid off, he could have landed a few more shots as the referee didn't even step in yet. Could have finished the job IMO.

The other question is why Usyk laid off, he could have landed a few more shots as the referee didn't even step in yet. Could have finished the job IMO.

Usyk lacks killer instinct.

As I recall... if a fighter is deemed to be kept up by the ropes and would otherwise have gone down if it were not for the ropes, that is considered a knockdown and should it be ruled/called as such by the ref, then it gets a count and the refs discretion as to if the fighter is fit to continue just as a traditional knockdown would.

* I am not necessarily espousing this call, but I would say it is within the realm of what could be reasonably interpreted as a legitimate call. I would also say that waiving the fight off at that time would also have been within the range of a fair call.

It really did look like the ref saved Fury from a legit knockdown...if not KO. But I guess the right guy won. Though that margin was razor thin.

That was like 3 or 4 rope knockdowns. Fury has crazy recovery, but anybody else and that probably should have been stopped.

Why did the ref not let Usyk finish a helpless Fury here ?

https://x.com/bjpenndotcom/status/1791972998624215279
I didn't see the fight yet but I know from the past, refs seem to favor one fighter over the other, for some reason. It's never been the cleanest of sports. they say, ref for the ali-foreman fight was paid well into the thousands by each corner to favor their guy. Zack clearly favored Ali for whatever reason.

The Association of Boxing Commissions later eliminated the standing eight count in 1998 and it is usually not invoked in professional bouts today.

A standing eight count is different from a mandatory eight count, which is only assessed once a fighter is knocked down.

Knockdown​

An official knockdown is ruled in boxing when a fighter is punched and:
a) a part of his/her body other than the feet touch the canvas (such as his butt or glove)
b) when a fighter is being held up by the ropes (i.e. the fighter would have fallen had the ropes not been there)
c) when a fighter is hanging on, through or over the ropes and
d) cannot protect himself and, for whatever reason, is lodged on a position where he can't fall

If anything, the ref could have stepped in before. When he finally did, Fury was almost in a squatting position, being held up by the ropes. Ref has to step in at that point.

There wasn't a lot of time left, so imagine the ref doesn't step in and Tyson gets through the round somehow - that would have swung the scorecards into a draw (one judge for each and one scoring it 7-7).

Watching that in slow motion, it literally looked like Fury was sinking into his trousers.

<{outtahere}>

Knockdown​

An official knockdown is ruled in boxing when a fighter is punched and:
a) a part of his/her body other than the feet touch the canvas (such as his butt or glove)
b) when a fighter is being held up by the ropes (i.e. the fighter would have fallen had the ropes not been there)
c) when a fighter is hanging on, through or over the ropes and
d) cannot protect himself and, for whatever reason, is lodged on a position where he can't fall

I know this is the answer. I know about the rule. Just made this thread cause Fury pissed me off for saying they gave the decision to Usyk cause his Country's at war. Is nothing holly to you Tyson. For your ego compared your sports loss to thousands families losing their fathers and sons. Like stfu dude.

He sort of looked at what was happening to Fury. If he rushed forward he could hit him 1 more time. Which could be final. The ref steped slowly in.

I suspect the ref yelled "break"

Also Usyk knows that's a knock down

The only thing I don't like about the "ropes kept him up knockdown" rule is that its not used consistently.

Exactly

If anything, the ref could have stepped in before. When he finally did, Fury was almost in a squatting position, being held up by the ropes. Ref has to step in at that point.

Fuck, I can't stop laughing at that video, it looks like Fury's waistline is up to his neck, and that red effect on the video makes him look like a giant tomato on a stick.

lol i would understand it if Fury touched the ground with his gloves. It would be the most embarrassing KO of his life. and yet they wanna rematch.

Actually looks like Usyk pulled his punch. Did they agree to no KOs.

fury began to fall and the ropes held him up. that's a mandatory 8 count.

As I recall... if a fighter is deemed to be kept up by the ropes and would otherwise have gone down if it were not for the ropes, that is considered a knockdown and should it be ruled/called as such by the ref, then it gets a count and the refs discretion as to if the fighter is fit to continue just as a traditional knockdown would.

* I am not necessarily espousing this call, but I would say it is within the realm of what could be reasonably interpreted as a legitimate call. I would also say that waiving the fight off at that time would also have been within the range of a fair call.
Exactly this. If the only reason you stay upright is the ropes, it’s a knockdown.

Ref is a maggot, this should be a TKO by any boxing book. WTF.

Back