Knock down on the ropes

This person gets it:

- 20 seconds of unanswered blows.
- Fury's hands go limp to the point that he can't even lift them.

This should've been stopped. What Fury did afterwards is a moot point.

This person gets it:

Agreed . And Lyle was way more cognitive

Reactions: HHJ
This person gets it:

Could it have been stopped? Absolutely. But it wasn't. Turns out that allowing it to continue was the right call. I'd rather Usyk get due credit for beating Fury than hearing fanboy excuses about how Fury was 'prematurely' stopped.

The Association of Boxing Commissions later eliminated the standing eight count in 1998 and it is usually not invoked in professional bouts today.

A standing eight count is different from a mandatory eight count, which is only assessed once a fighter is knocked down.

Usyk should have won by KO if ref followed the rules.

There's also the rule that says if the ref determines that the fighter would've fallen had the ropes not been there its a knockdown sir.

Could it have been stopped? Absolutely. But it wasn't. Turns out that allowing it to continue was the right call. I'd rather Usyk get due credit for beating Fury than hearing fanboy excuses about how Fury was 'prematurely' stopped.
The thing is, I don't think you would've gotten a complaint of a "premature stoppage".

If Fury was stumbling back with his hands up, or trying to hug Usyk and hang on for dear life, then I would agree because he would show a level of cognition and would be intelligently defending himself.

But he's literally eating 20 unanswered shots, in which his hands are limp and by his side, he's bent over and stumbling and not even looking at Usyk. If there's any reason to stop the fight, it's right there.

The thing is, I don't think you would've gotten a complaint of a "premature stoppage".

If Fury was stumbling back with his hands up, or trying to hug Usyk and hang on for dear life, then I would agree because he would show a level of cognition and would be intelligently defending himself.

But he's literally eating 20 unanswered shots, in which his hands are limp and by his side, he's bent over and stumbling and not even looking at Usyk. If there's any reason to stop the fight, it's right there.
You don't think the deluded Fury stans wouldn't have tried to use the "premature stoppage" angle? I do.

They would have said he should have got a standing 8 in accordance with the rules. Which is what actually happened.

Did the ropes not hold Fury up several times before the ref stepped in for the count? The last one was most obvious, but given infinite space, he likely would have hit the canvas the very first time he slammed into the ropes.

I know it's an optional rule but it really did look like he prevented a clean ko uysk was about to get with lots of time left until he gave Fury an early round end.

People whine too much. If the ref doesn't step in with the count, there is a chance that Fury stumbles through the remaining seconds of the round without going down and Usyk only gets a 10-9 on the cards. That means the fight ends up a draw with the way the judges scored it.

The ref did the right thing, though, gave Fury an 8-count and a chance to show he could continue, which he could - Usyk got the benefit of a 10-8 round which is what helped him edge the decisive scorecard. The right man ended up winning and there is no controversy with the result.

Good job to the ref!

the tnt broadcast really felt fury won. some of the rounds were grossly scored.

I would have complained. Its a unified HW title fight that happens once every 25 years. The ref shouldnt be waiving off shit even if that means fighter x takes a few extra shots.

Back