Krylov knocks Maldonado DEAD at Fight Nights

Krylov has really improved a lot over the years. His debut in the UFC against Soa Polelei, he looked like a complete novice on the ground. I expected him to be subbed like every fight after how poor he looked off his back in that one. His subsequent Von Flue choke loss to OSP made me feel really confident he was going nowhere. But seemingly after that loss, he tightened things up and has been hard to take down and fairly competent on the ground. That Cirkunov sub loss is a bad one in hindsight, after we've seen Misha have nothing for higher-level fighters. But still, Krylov has shown himself to be capable of being a threat to anyone at LHW, particularly since he has serious finishing power. At only 26, I could see him coming back to the UFC to try and establish himself as one of the best in the world. It certainly makes sense for him to take the bigger bucks to stay close to home though.

please tell me the commentator/s were yelling 'maldababo' or some derivative throughout the fight.

Krylov came into the UFC looking like an out of shape can with like 3 losses to the same guy to the same submission. He has improved so much since. Legit top 10 LHW now days.

Last edited:
Krylov called out Vitor Belfort in his post-fight speech.

giphy.gif

If I remember it right he said that Belfort retired and Fight Nights have money (or something else) to organize such fight. From what I've seen Russian fans didn't like that - seems like people understand his words as something like "I don't wanna fight legit opponents, I wanna fight famous past their prime fighters for a lot of money".

Nice win for Krylov; not quite sure what Maldonado's plan was...

He should sign a 2 fight contract with the UFC to test his level..something like 50k/50k would I think be acceptable to both sides

He is exciting and only getting better it's a no brainer for both sides to sign a short contract that pays OK

Otherwise unless he fights Jiri, Bader or Davis it's a waste of talent IMO

I've wished Bellator would have signed both guys and made this match for a bit.

UFC were crazy letting this guy go, he could of been a future contender...hell he was on the very brink of it.

Nikita moved really well in that fight, he looked like a featherweight. He was good before but his movements were on another level. Anyway, too big, too young too strong too fast for his opponent

Always good to see Krylov fight. Hope he keeps fighting some of the relevant LHW options and doesn't go the can crushing route. Because he is way to good for that

Dude hard nut shot in the first 10 seconds of the fight? Rough night....

Click Bait thread title man... I watched that whole video and just to end up seeing a regular KO.

I'm glad Maldonado is ok though...and it wasn't a vicious KO like your thread implied.

He should sign a 2 fight contract with the UFC to test his level..something like 50k/50k would I think be acceptable to both sides

He is exciting and only getting better it's a no brainer for both sides to sign a short contract that pays OK

Otherwise unless he fights Jiri, Bader or Davis it's a waste of talent IMO
Krylov left the UFC because he wanted to be closer to his family.

Im fine with him fighting in Russia. He helps to legitimize the MMA scene there.

Krylov left the UFC because he wanted to be closer to his family.

Im fine with him fighting in Russia. He helps to legitimize the MMA scene there.

I don't buy it. I think he simply followed the easy money which was smart at the time.

Also why is fighting in Russia being closer to his family? Fighting in the UFC takes away at most a week of his time..it's not a legit reason...

He should test himself or forever remain a regional can crusher

Those eastern Europe show are getting better and better.

Krylov is legit and is making great money, I doubt he'll go back to the UFC.

He needs to come back to the UFC.. a spinn, an elbow, and a right hand.
UFC were crazy letting this guy go, he could of been a future contender...hell he was on the very brink of it.
Can not believe how the UFC let him go, LHW is awful right now
Haven't you guys heard? The UFC only offers good money to dolly-throwing shit talkers. Krylov would get 2k to show on prelims.

UFC LHW is a joke and the best LHW competition is heavily scattered now. 2 of the top 5 belonging to Bellator. Krylov was top 10 himself. People will likely anoint Gus number 1 once Cormier leaves but that will be based off no real accomplishment except “almost”. Luke Rockhold is likely to walk straight into a title shot after losing 2 of 3 at MW. Best competition my ass.
Gus also beat Glover and Jan B, 2 fighters very underrated in sherdog. This is somewhat MMA math, but Glover finished Cirkunov R1, a guy that made quick work of Krylov. That Glover win is better than Krylov entire career, and i like Nikita, while i don't like Gus very much.
Coker should try to get the this kid, only 26 and already a contender... maybe Rizin if they make another 100 KG GP would be good
Can not believe how the UFC let him go, LHW is awful right now
Asking the hardcore russian mma fans who can be the next rival for Krylov in the FNG roster
This russian is 4-0 at FNG and is undefeated (6-0), so maybe will be him, if they want to keep Krylov active.
Although, i won't be surprised if they bring someone outside the promotion just to fight Krylov.

PS: It's a terrible fight, but it's this guy most high profile win, Silva was 10-1 against legit competition in brazilian regional lv.

Nice win for Krylov; not quite sure what Maldonado's plan was...
To take punches waiting for his opponent to gas out like he always does? Worked against Omarov..
I don't buy it. I think he simply followed the easy money which was smart at the time.

Also why is fighting in Russia being closer to his family? Fighting in the UFC takes away at most a week of his time..it's not a legit reason...

He should test himself or forever remain a regional can crusher
Obviously it isn't only about fighting close to home, it's also about money, but with UKR having political tensions nowadays, being close to home is very important, specially when he just became father last year, there's also jet lag and he doesn't seem like someone who enjoys travelling/western MMA media.

Back