kyokushin Karate lol

I wish there was a hardcore Kyokushin (or offshoot) dojo around here, I'd join in a second. KK fighters are some tough SOB's. I think a lot of it is applicable to MMA, but no style including muay Thai, would be without some modifications.

Nevertheless I think it is the hardest form of Karate, e.g. Wado-Ryu is a very smooth form.

So I couldn't even wear a mouth piece, even if I asked the sensei

I assume that would be up to the sensei and the school you went to.

if KK would only allow punching to the face. That's the big problem. I would rather wear gloves and punch to the face than to not wear gloves not punch to the face.

I was just watching some footage from a tournament and don't know how I could keep myself from doing it. It just seems it would be natural, especially when you can kick and knee to the face. I would think a knee to the face would be more damaging than a punch.

The not punching to the face rule is probably more about protecting hands than heads. Boxing gloves were invented for a reason, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to not allow punches to the face but every rule system has a good reason for it's establishment even though certain evolutions of sport and equipment might currently have made such reasons irrelevant. Old habits die hard if you get my meaning.

Since competition doesn't allow punching to the face, karate matches fight at a much quicker pace. And I find that much more exciting.

Old habits die hard if you get my meaning.

Thats really true, not only in martial arts but in the whole life.

Some habits might be fatal.

I also think not punching to the heads is because of protecting the hands,
some times ago I saw an old freefight without fist protection, they used the carpus to hit in the face! (cruel thing, especially without protection the fights looks not so spectacular and end up much more quickly)

Once I saw KK they used a mawashi-geri to the temple to knock their opponents out.

Sosai speaks on Chokusetsu Dageki :D :
http://www.kyokushinmail.com/koya/letters/letter5.htm

I'd like to see Kyokushin tournaments that allow palm strikes to the head and punches to the body. The art really amazes me simply because the practitioners still adhere to a lot of old-school budo principles and traditions: meditation, forms, breaking, doing crazy stuff under waterfalls and in the snow.

To be fair though, Kyokushin directly takes the low and mid roundhouses from Muay Thai - I don't think the art would last in the ring at all if not for this, hardcore training or not. The knees also look very similar, I'm curious as to how they're trained and how different they are from MT knees.

Also to be fair, Kyokushin karatekas train harder than the Thais only because they don't fight nearly as often. When you're fighting every two weeks since a very early age in full MT rules, you can't afford to do crazy stuff in training and hurt your body. Personally, I think that the fighting a opponent who's trying to knock you out every two weeks since your teenage years is much better "training" than any amount of sparring without protection.

Kyokushin is still a very cool art though, I love watching people split stones with their chops. The kata are also very nice.

Lui Hailong said:
Sosai speaks on Chokusetsu Dageki :D :
http://www.kyokushinmail.com/koya/letters/letter5.htm

I'd like to see Kyokushin tournaments that allow palm strikes to the head and punches to the body. The art really amazes me simply because the practitioners still adhere to a lot of old-school budo principles and traditions: meditation, forms, breaking, doing crazy stuff under waterfalls and in the snow.

To be fair though, Kyokushin directly takes the low and mid roundhouses from Muay Thai - I don't think the art would last in the ring at all if not for this, hardcore training or not. The knees also look very similar, I'm curious as to how they're trained and how different they are from MT knees.

Also to be fair, Kyokushin karatekas train harder than the Thais only because they don't fight nearly as often. When you're fighting every two weeks since a very early age in full MT rules, you can't afford to do crazy stuff in training and hurt your body. Personally, I think that the fighting a opponent who's trying to knock you out every two weeks since your teenage years is much better "training" than any amount of sparring without protection.

Kyokushin is still a very cool art though, I love watching people split stones with their chops. The kata are also very nice.

Our roundhouse kicks are different from Muay Thai, but I'm sure that the low kick was added to the Kyokushin arsenal after seeing its effectiveness in Muay Thai.

I'm not too sure about how Muay Thai fighters throw knees, but I don't think that the ways they are thrown are too different from each other. The way that a Kyokushin fighter effectively throws a knee must be very balanced since we're not allowed to clinch, push, pull, or grab. I haven't seen too many knees thrown in Muay Thai where there wasn't an attempt to lead the opponent into the knee.

Many Japanese and Brazilian Kyokushin fighters are hardcore because their lifestyle allows them to train fulltime. In the U.S. and Canada, a lot of us have full time occupations outside of karate, so we can't afford to devote ourselves to this-and-that kind of training. As a result in the World Open or World Weight Category, the skill levels vary from country to country, in which many fighters don't deserve to be there, but are there only because they are one of the best for that country.

Overall, in terms of strength, cardio, and core, Muay Thai fighters train just as hard as Kyokushin fighters. Granted, Kyokushin training throws in some painful exercises here and there, but it's pretty much even.

All Kyokushin fighters spar with gloves. shin guards, etc. It's standard. We recognize the value of a fighter's longevity with protection. It's only in competition where Kyokushin fighters don't use protection.

i remember in pride .....6 or 7, where they had 2 KK guys go it it. and it was soo exciting! I would love to train in it one day!

kyokushin karate got 6'8' 270lbs gerry harriss koed by a 6 foot 176lbs bjj guy at ifc 1 with a single punch in 15 seconds

shadsmithfan said:
kyokushin karate got 6'8' 270lbs gerry harriss koed by a 6 foot 176lbs bjj guy at ifc 1 with a single punch in 15 seconds

that's retarded to say, kyokushin didn't get him ko'd, him not protecting himself well enough got him ko'd, you can say that about anyone

I train Karate and in my dojo we have a similar system of sparring as Kyokushin. Its full contact to the body with punches and kicks but no contact to the head with punches.In competition ther is full contact to the face and head with kicks but competitors where head gear.

The reason for this is so that ppl that dont want to get hurt in a full contact fight like in the ring etc can still benefit from a martial arts system that gives them a "taste" of real combat without the risks inherited.

The truth is young children women and even young men want to learn self defence but dont want to have broken noses and black eyes every day in order to learn it. In light of this the Kyokushin karate and other "Freestyle" systems of karate are a good martial art system for ppl to learn withouth having the increased risk of having your face knocked off.

Having said this i have had my nose broken ribs bruised and the only reason my front teeth are where they are is b/c i wear a mouth gaurd at all times when sparring.

The risks are still there with this system of training but not as great.

Also in the dojo u show respect and exercise control when sparring an opponent that may be smaller/not as skillful or of the diffrent sex. So against a lower rank fighter that does not have the same skills it is expected that u go easy on them and instruct them and show them how to fight. However against an equal opponent at the high ranks (Brown belt +) fights can be full on and very challenging and result in knock downs.

The problem with Mac Dojos is they dont teach sparring and the truth is u can becomea better fighter unless u sparr.

blanko said:
if KK would only allow punching to the face. That's the big problem. I would rather wear gloves and punch to the face than to not wear gloves not punch to the face.
Kyokushin used to allow face punches, but barenuckle full contact face punches have well-known problems.

Mas Oyama thought that fighting with gloves and protection was not real kumite, so he sacrificed face punches rather than sacrificing the guiding principle of his karate.

I personally love KK. A lot of you don't relize, but MMA has it's history going back to Holland with Jon Blumming who is a 10 dan Kyukushin and 10 dan Judo, he back in the 60's combined grappling and stand-up to start his off shoot to Kyukushin karate. His off-shoot is known today as MMA, the man is 75 years old today and he still gives out challenges to guys who could be his grandsons and no one acpts his invitation lol. Look him up on google the man amaziing

In modern MMA, the Gracie NHB challenges predate the Holland stuff.

meng_mao said:

Best Avatar ever :)

meng_mao said:
I am sure of that, I just want to make a point that Kyukushin had it's foot in MMA too back in the day, the Gracies are the Gracies and no one can take away there accomplishment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jahmaltheknight
Back