Last night's fight = Proof that Fedor time Pride HW Division was vastly superior to modern UFC HW

Highly unlikely. Gane would have those guys in a panic on the feet from the opening bell. And chances are if they did get him down they wouldn't finish him like Jones

you can't compare those guys to Jones no disrespect to them.
I dont have to compare them. A takedown is a takedown. Esp when its a true HW. Ngannou took him down,and didnt even know what to do w him once he got him there,and still won.

No one ever seems to bring up the fact that Mirko avenged that loss against Gonzage in the UFC when he was way past it.
Both guys were way past it in the 2nd fight. And Gonzaga was getting the best of him for a good portion of the fight IIRC.

This bashing of elite HWs outside of Pride (whether it was prime versions of Cain, JDS, Stipe, Ngannou, Aspinall) by Fedor nostalgists gets so old. I remember people saying how Ngannou would stand no chance in a striking war with Pride versions of Fedor, Cro-Cop or even Big Nog.

We're talking about a guy who just took the HW boxing champ to a close SD and knocked him down during the fight. He even shocked the boxing world. Of course the Pride fan girls aren't going to retract their claims.

Last edited:
There isn't any sport in the world where the current athletes are not superior. It isn't Fedor's fault he was born in that era but there is zero chance in the world he would do well with the skills he had now.

It's stupid to even compare.

Whenever this topic comes up it really exposes how little most people know about the technical aspect of fighting.

Boxing fans are even worse, delusionally claiming 70s era HWs could beat modern top ranked HWs. They would be lucky to survive a couple of rounds

The worst part is when you actually go back and watch old footage. It is night and day with any sport but old fans watch those videos with rose tinted glasses or something.

It's actually embarrassing.

This bashing of the better current HWs (whether it was prime versions of Cain, JDS, Stipe, Ngannou, Aspinall) by Fedor nostalgists gets so old. I remember people saying how Ngannou would stand no chance in a striking war with Pride versions of Fedor, Cro-Cop or even Big Nog.

We're talking about a guy who just took the HW boxing champ to a close SD and knocked him down during the fight. He even shocked the boxing world. Of course the Pride fan girls aren't going to retract their claims.

That's boxing though it has no bearing on mma it really doesn't, its pretty sickening how everyone thinks Ngannou is invincible for putting up a good fight against Fury but still he took a loss and its not like he was unbeatable in mma he lost 3 times in his prime against Cisse, Lewis, Stipe and only got Miocic when he was at the end of his career so he's very beatable.

That's boxing though it has no bearing on mma it really doesn't, its pretty sickening how everyone thinks Ngannou is invincible for putting up a good fight against Fury but still he took a loss and its not like he was unbeatable in mma he lost 3 times in his prime against Cisse, Lewis, Stipe and only got Miocic when he was at the end of his career so he's very beatable.
Fedor, Cro-Cop and Big Nog were very beatable as well. And "That's boxing though" is an odd take for a Pride nostalgists since "K-1-level striking" was used endlessly as a trope during that era.

Last edited:
Fedor, Cro-Cop and Big Nog were very beatable as well. And "That's boxing though" is an odd take for a Pride nostalgists since "K-1-level striking" was used endlessly as a trope during that era and beyond.

First off Fedor's career started in 2000 in Rings and spanned until 2010 when he first took a loss to Werdum after 10 years he gets the pass of being past it because no one has a peak or prime that last for a decade so Fedor never lost in a 10 year span
so during that time period he was looking pretty unbeatable even though anyone can lose.

K1 level striking was actually exposed in mma more than a few times one of the times that sticks in my memory is Ray Sefo getting finished by Dave Huckaba, point is they are completely different circumstances altogether.

Fedor is certainley the fastest HW. Gane and aspionall would give him nightmares.

There isn't any sport in the world where the current athletes are not superior. It isn't Fedor's fault he was born in that era but there is zero chance in the world he would do well with the skills he had now.

So where would you say Fedor is athletically inferior and lacking in skills compared to someone like Spivac for instance?

Two heavyweights from the last PFL card (Denis Goltsov and Renan Ferreira) would beat prime Crocop and Nog decisively. They are bigger/taller/heavier and more skilled/well rounded too. Also both of them would give Fedor a tough fight and would possibly beat him too. The sport has evolved drastically and the amount of good heavyweights is much larger nowadays compared to what it used to be, it's not comparable.

Boxing fans are even worse, delusionally claiming 70s era HWs could beat modern top ranked HWs. They would be lucky to survive a couple of rounds

So George Foreman in his 40s was able to go the distance with juiced up Holyfield, Morrison and Briggs in the 1990s but he 'd be lucky to last more than a couple of rounds with Dillian Whyte? lmao.....

Implying Coleman & Randleman were well rounded world beaters in PRIDE
That is very true, but neither of those two fighters was competitive at HW division after it was stacked post 2002/03.

So TS gave some bad examples sure.

Fedor is certainley the fastest HW. Gane and aspionall would give him nightmares.
Aspinall beats every HW from every era imo.

Gane, no. Fedor armbars him and grapples him with ease.

It's even worse than that : he was only good in a circus show in Japan and when the sport was almost completely new and immature.

MMA is a very young sport, so what you say is especially true about MMA.

It is not neccesseraly true about old and well etablished sports such as boxing for instance.

Fedor would have been a complete joke today.

He would not get any belt in any weight class and he would have to fight under proper drug testing the first time of his life.

Too bad he already has 2 losses, because he beats everybody <seedat>
Ehhh only a single real loss, when he was 22 years old. Counting either the freak injury 15 seconds in or a DQ in a fight he was dominating is silly. They are losses sure, but he was only beaten once.

Also. I never said he beats every HW in history 10 out of 10 times did I?

But yeah, I think he's got the skills to beat every heavyweight you can care to mention.

Ehhh only a single real loss, when he was 22 years old. Counting either the freak injury 15 seconds in or a DQ in a fight he was dominating is silly. They are losses sure, but he was only beaten once.

It's a loss, just like for Silva or Conor. He was healthy before the fight and could not stay heathly during the fight. It's his own problem. It's not the most convincing win for Curtis, that's for sure, but he's the one who managed to stay heathly until the end of the fight.

I didn't count the DQ, it's the only relevant argument for a fake loss (assuming it's not a blatant foul out of desperation like Petr Yan or Ankalaev).

It's a loss, just like for Silva or Conor. He was healthy before the fight and could not stay heathly during the fight. It's his own problem. It's not the most convincing win for Curtis, that's for sure, but he's the one who managed to stay heathly until the end of the fight.

I didn't count the DQ, it's the only relevant argument for a fake loss (assuming it's not a blatant foul out of desperation like Petr Yan or Ankalaev).
There's a difference between a loss and being beaten. That was my point, I acknowledged that it's a legit loss in my post you responded to, genius. He destroys Blaydes in the eventual rematch btw.

Anyway, the original point stands. Him having losses doesn't mean he isn't capable of beating every heavyweight out there.

There's a difference between a loss and being beaten. That was my point, I acknowledged that it's a legit loss in my post you responded to, genius. He destroys Blaydes in the eventual rematch btw.

Yet such injuries never happen to dominant champions unless old like Silva.

And if they are injured, they still win their fight like Ngannou.

As for Curtis, let's see the rematch if it happens.

Back