Lawler is a tough fight for Askren

Regardless of who wins, I think everyone's going to enjoy watching Robbie punch Askren in the face.

I can't believe so many people forgot Lawler blew out his knee versus RDA and still went on to get get lit up and battle through another 4 rounds against RDA.

Personally, I don't think Askren has the power to hurt Lawler. There's little doubt he can dry hump him for eternity, but I can't wait to see Askren's reaction if Lawler begins stuffing takedowns and tagging him.

Wow, UFC tryin' to make Ben look poorly. Lawler has some of the best takedown defense out there and you need good striking to beat him. You knew Dana hates The Funk and wants to make him look bad so he can say "see, I told you so!".

Lawler is another one who has looked a shadow of himself since USADA. I think Rory was right about him.
USADA went into effect in the UFC July 1st 2015....the Rory rematch was July 11th 2015 so....Robbie also fought and beat Condit under USADA. Lawler's problem was too many wars in a short period of time

I really hate this no basis USADA claim everytime a fighter goes on a slide. People think it's a fighting game where the fighters all reset and injuries heal for each fight.

USADA went into effect in the UFC July 1st 2015....the Rory rematch was July 11th 2015 so....Robbie also fought and beat Condit under USADA. Lawler's problem was too many wars in a short period of time

USADA went into effect 10 days before their fight? You do know that guys cycle off stuff pretty easily. Not saying Lawler was using anything but he has looked a lot less dominant since stricter testing went into effect.

Lawler is not in his prime anymore, UFC needs to give Askren a high profile victory for his debut, and this is the fight. After that fight Askren will be in serious trouble, he's undefeated 18-0, two world titles, but he only fought two high level Welterweights (Lima and Koreshcov) the rest were 2nd or 3rd class fighters. The rest of the Top Ten Welterweights in UFC will put him to sleep.
Nikolay Aleksahkin is definitely a first class fighter. Sambo world champion. He was also beating Askren in the 5th round. He was getting the better of Ben and if there was a 1 more round, he would have KO'ed him.

He'll miss the 1st takedown, get nervous then get ktfo.

Lawler was taken down by Cerrone and RDA in his last 2 fights, that's not a good sign when you are scheduled to fight one of the best wrestlers in MMA. Also he's had some surgeries recently. I think Askren will take him down and win in his typical fashion, by slowly smothering his opponent on the ground.
I agree.

Its a smart choice for his debut, Lawler is a shadow of his former self but still has name recognition so a nice easy win which looks good on paper and builds hype.

At last someone who gets it.

Perfect test for Askren to see if hes actually UFC champion level.
Agreed at least to the extent to see where he is right now. If Lawler can defend against his wrestling we know he is in trouble.

USADA went into effect 10 days before their fight? You do know that guys cycle off stuff pretty easily. Not saying Lawler was using anything but he has looked a lot less dominant since stricter testing went into effect.
So you're saying he didn't look good vs Condit?

So you're saying he didn't look good vs Condit?

? Condit was 2-3 in his last 5 going into that fight. He has gone on to lose 3 more in a row after that fight.

Beating a guy that is 2-7 in his last 9 is not an accomplishment.

Lawler is another one who has looked a shadow of himself since USADA. I think Rory was right about him.
a6e.gif

I'm gutted that Askren is fighting Robbie as now I have to root against Ben.

Very interesting fight, and will be Askren's first top ten win. Robbie has dropped a few points but is still a great test to see just where Askren is these days.

Makes a lot of sense for his debut. A good guy, but not a guy at the top of the division. If he beat a Colby, a Till, etc. it would be tough not to give him a title shot with a win - regardless of style. If he beats Lawler with style, they can justify giving him a title shot (he beat Lawer with XYZ!!!!). If he wins ugly though, they can justify not giving him a title shot (he only beat Lawler...)

On one hand Lawler hasn't looked great in a while. On the other hand if Askren can beat Lawler it means he deserves to be in the mix with the top dogs. It's a dangerous fight for Askren. Props for taking it.

Actually Lawler's TDD is only 69% in UFC fights. That's at the low end of the spectrum for the WW class.

Realistically, the last top wrestler he beat in the UFC was Koscheck who was past his prime, going 2-2 into that fight.

He also did well against Ellenberger (who went into that fight coming off a loss). However Ellenberger went on to go 2-7 in his next 9, again clearly past his best days.

The two best prime wrestlers that Lawler has fought in his second run in the UFC is Woodley (who is coached by Askren) and Hendricks, both of which he lost to.

He has looked good stuffing shots against guys like Brown and Rory, but frankly they are nowhere near top wrestlers.

TDD% is one thing, but it doesn't gauge how well fighters scrramble and get up after being taken down. Lawler's terrific at scrambles and getting his base back after being taken down, so his TDD% is deceiving.

He'll miss the 1st takedown, get nervous then get ktfo.
Ben always misses his first takedown. He has a horrible shot. Just watch his fights or training and it's amazing how he isn't athletic or even that strong but he always finds a way to win by having a strong will.

Just happy that Lawler gets a paycheck without the brain damage. He deserves a few fights like this.

And he should be able to test Askren's chin a time or two.

Askren probably takes a UD in a 3 round fight. Maybe a sub if it's 5.

nah. lawler is old as fuck and didn't look good last time out. IMO they are feeding askren with this one.

Back