League of Legends, v9: The Phreak-y thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys remember this inforgraphic from awhile ago?

101112_RiotGames_LoL_InfoGraphic.jpg

This is a more recent article from January stating 27 million individuals a day with 7.5 million peak users http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/27/riots-league-of-legends-reveals-astonishing-27-million-daily-players-67-million-monthly/
According to a reddit thread they are releasing another info chart early next year.

Any thoughts on what the numbers will say? I think it is amazing just how popular this game is. It is like Coke vs Pepsi where you might think it is at least kind of a close race but it turns out to be more like 95% to coke and the rest of the market makes up the remaining.
It crushes every other game so hard, similar to the market domination that WOW had it seemed like a one horse race.

From my point of view it is fascinating to see a game like this succeed so well. Personally I never factor in a games popularity when rating it and this is one of the few big market games I have devoted serious time into.
I feel like two games in recent memory were made by the companies supporting independent media. Call of duty got behind the youtube scene and that game was carried by strong personalities putting out a ton of niche content from informative video commentaries down to silly videos of them goofing off in game.
Then it feels like LOL owes it all to the streaming community. I remember reading when I first got into LOL that "Doublelift" was in the top 3 most googled words from Korea. From the most skilled pros to random Riot employees you can find and interact with about anyone in the community.

Above all else I like seeing a company succeed by just giving the fans what they want. EA activision/blizzard are out there scumbagging their fans all day and Riot got the memo from valve that if you give people well made free shit they will spend their life savings on hats and skins.

So TSM beats SSW but loses to the weaker SHRC...hey I'll take it!

I'm rooting so hard for TSM and c9. Regular season I'll shit on TSM. Not this week.

I'm rooting so hard for TSM and c9. Regular season I'll shit on TSM. Not this week.

exactly! can't stand TSM when it's the NA games but fuck this is world's GO TSM!

exactly! can't stand TSM when it's the NA games but fuck this is world's GO TSM!

I would usually agree but I like white so hoping Baylife gets 3-0. But then C9 gets the 3-0 to make up for it :).

So TSM beats SSW but loses to the weaker SHRC...hey I'll take it!

I thought it was more epic that every single Korean team losses in the round of 8... in Korea.

Do this,tsm!

...sigh! 1 game down.

Last edited:
Jesus.. how can White possibly NOT win Worlds? I mean holy fuck.

love this world championship my top 3 champs are in action. Xerath, Ryze and finally JAYCE.

White with the expected win no real surprise but I feel if TSM can win one it will be the 3rd game in classic (this year) Baylife style.

Wow Singed, alright game 2 pull this out TSM.

This is going about as badly as people thought it might.

Goddamnit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back