Media Leon Edwards on Colby Covington getting the next title shot: “I don’t know how that makes sense"

I rather Colby fight for the title than Masvidal.

And Leon didn't say he was fighting Masvidal next. He stated Masvidal would make more sense from a ppv standpoint after being asked if Colby is the money fight. He also stated Belal is the most deserving

It makes sense as he is #2 and took the backup fighter status for the title fight. I get some want to see Khamzat and rightfully so but Colby also deserves the shot.
"Deserves," how? He's had two title shots in his last four fights, and lost. The subsequent wins after that were Woodley getting a freak rib injury, and then beating glorified journeyman Masvidal.

He really, really doesn't deserve another title shot, unless he beats another top contender in an elimination bout.

Colby getting the next title shot was part of the deal when Mas settled with Colby out of court that Colby would receive a title shot upon his return

Its also why Mas is taking a fight against Burns to help pay for the settlement

The UFC possibly did not want the Colby vs Mas case going to trial which would have brought bad press to the UFC so they "assisted" Mas with this one

4D chess by the UFC
I'm on board with this explanation.

The man doesn't have to beat a top 10, Colby has it from the eye test he is a tremendous talent. I have Colby beating Burns/Bial easily. Chimev would be a hard fight as that dude also has it.

Why throw a formality when on paper Colby is easily the a top 3 in the division with Chimev, Usman.
If he has it from eye test, then actually winning a fight - the criteria most fighters have to pass - should not be a problem then, right?

There's absolutely zero reason to give him Title Shot #3 in a period of five fights, when he's lost both title shots he's had, and hasn't beaten anyone in the other fights who are currently relevant.

And Leon didn't say he was fighting Masvidal next. He stated Masvidal would make more sense from a ppv standpoint after being asked if Colby is the money fight. He also stated Belal is the most deserving
Opera Snapshot_2023-03-19_201658_www.sportskeeda.com.png

because we all know people want to stay champ as long as possible.
Of couse they want to. Dude just beat Usman twice. He had a long winstreak to get here. Now he has to "test himself"?

Against a guy Usman already beat?? I could see why he wants to use his newfound powers.

Why does Leon the champ have to test himself,and Colby just walk into the title shot?
Leon didnt forget how long and hard it took him to get here. Oh colby you dont got to do any of that.

UFC: hey usman you can fight Masvidal twice
Hey Colby u aint got to do nothin,heres a title shot,U beat masvidal thats it.
Leon: well i'd like to fight masvidal
The fans: SHUT UP LEON,JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP

It makes sense as he is #2 and took the backup fighter status for the title fight. I get some want to see Khamzat and rightfully so but Colby also deserves the shot.
Coly is on a one fight winning streak and that win was Masvidal! He also hasn't fought in over a year. Meanwhile, you have Belal Muhammed Who is undefeated in like his last 9 fights with just one NC.
He deserves a title shot way more, but doesnt get it because he doesnt run his mouth like an idiot.

he wants a squash match with Masvidal. He is more worthy than the second best guy after Usman. lol.

Back