Leslie Smith is suing the UFC

The purpose of Project Spearhead was to get the NLRB to decide if UFC fighters were employees or contractors. Federal Law protects employees being victimised for organizing, if she brings a case as a victimised employee then the NLRB could have to decide the status of the fighters even without the 150 cards. This is what I understood from the Helwani interview anyway. What happens seemingly depends on a decision that is currently being considered by the NLRB. I'm not a lawyer lol.

I’m not a lawyer either, so I don’t quite understand how she has a case. Maybe she can recover if she demonstrates to the NLRB that the UFC has a consistent pattern of dumping fighters that try to organize.

But as I posted earlier ITT, she’d have little trouble getting an attorney to take her case on a contingency fee if the case was worth their time. Supposedly she’s “consulting with” Lucas Middlebrook, an expert in the field, but he’s charging by the hour if she needs GoFundMe.

good point, im definately not hysterical. lol.

i think without a doubt the ufc mistreats a lot of fighters, and when i say" ready to roll "and a fighter hasnt fought in 6-9-12 months or more how do they possably make a living? that is the point i thought i made, i need to pay a mortgage, kids, etc and need constant income to do it. im sure they are more or less the same.

thanks for "calmimg " me down
I believe the UFC has to offer a non-injured/suspended fighter 3 fights a year or they have to pay them the show money for the fights not offered.

I believe the UFC has to offer a non-injured/suspended fighter 3 fights a year or they have to pay them the show money for the fights not offered.

I know it was that way with the $12/12k fighters.
Maybe higher tiered fighters is different?

It doesn't benefit the fighters because the UFC would fold. The UFC is NOT the NFL or NBA, we have discussed this a billion times. Why not bring up Microsoft while you are at it, since unrelated corporations are, according to you, analogous? And the company was bought for 4.2b by the current owners based on future promise. This is money they PAID, not RECEIVED. There is no money left for this, the company was bought on margin and is in cost-cutting mode.

huge money is being negotiated for the tv deal. i think it will benefit the fighters to have a union, this is solely the point and really all that i care about.im not a big Leslie Smith fan, but i do think she cares about other fighters and think sher's really trying to help people here. i think thats pretty transparent so people bashing her i dont really understand. i dont give a fuck if dana is the president, or how much money he has. i think the fighters deserve the same rights as a NBA, NFL,NHL, MLB, players get. that is all.

but they dont seem to do that, a union would help that

I know it was that way with the $12/12k fighters.
Maybe higher tiered fighters is different?
Maybe. One reason could be that as fighters get more pay they are less inclined to take 3 fights a year as opposed to the 12kers who need the income.

Yes they can, it'll be a terrible business decision to cut a champion, but they can.

They have full authority in cutting whoever they want. I think there was a thread long ago on how UFC contracts are structured and there was a clause that they can cut you for whatever reason at their behest. As it should be.

There are guys who would fight in the UFC for free, so the floor value of a fighter is 0. Probably even in the negative, since they get the biggest platform possible to increase their popularity and market value.

You plebs are thinking the UFC should be run like the federal government, including the employment of people who do nothing but receive a check on a Friday and who are then impossible to fire.

There dozens of Leslie Smiths willing to fight for peanuts and attempt to better their careers, she has taken up valuable spots with a price tag that far exceeds her ability or popularity long enough. And before you ask how do I know, look at the ratings when she fights. No blockbusters there.
No this has been stated many times. The UFC can't cut someone coming off a win or cut a champion. The champion's clause. It also keeps a champion from leaving with the belt and fighting some where else.

The UFC doesn't have "full authority" to cut anyone without cause.

The floor value isn't free. That is fucking stupid. What commission is going to let a UFC fighter fight for no money?

The UFC is governed by a government body. I think you are the pleb, sir.

Besides, again! Leslie Smith wasn't cut. She wasn't re-signed. There is a difference.

but they dont seem to do that, a union would help that
We do not know if they do. The requirement is literally that the UFC has to offer them a fight. If they say no it counts a an official offer.

I'm not a Go Fund Me expert, but don't most GFM give something in return?
Ex: If you donate X-amount, you get an autograph or a poster or something?

Also if she wins the suit, does she pay everyone back?

No this has been stated many times. The UFC can't cut someone coming off a win or cut a champion. The champion's clause. It also keeps a champion from leaving with the belt and fighting some where else.

The floor value isn't free. That is fucking stupid. What commission is going to let a UFC fighter fight for no money?

The UFC is governed by a government body. I think you are the pleb, sir.

The UFC is regulated by a government body, not governed. The contract decisions are all on the UFC.

The floor value of a fighter is 0. New fighters don't bring in any revenue unless they already have a name from the onset. That's why Bellator pays some undercarders $200 to show. The UFC could do just that, just so the commission wouldn't "govern" them. But they'll take a massive hit in prestige.

Source on the UFC not being able to cut whoever they want whenever they want?

The UFC is regulated by a government body, not governed. The contract decisions are all on the UFC.

The floor value of a fighter is 0. New fighters don't bring in any revenue unless they already have a name from the onset. That's why Bellator pays some undercarders $200 to show. The UFC could do just that, just so the commission wouldn't "govern" them. But they'll take a massive hit in prestige.

Source on the UFC not being able to cut whoever they want whenever they want?
I'm not going to be bothered with your stupid ass posts anymore. They are quite stupid.

I hope the UFC have an expert in Bird Law on standby to fight this case.

ssunnamedjpg-c748a9_1280w-640x360.jpg

I'm not a Go Fund Me expert, but don't most GFM give something in return?
Ex: If you donate X-amount, you get an autograph or a poster or something?

Also if she wins the suit, does she pay everyone back?

If she wins you get a justice boner :D

Concession noted.

Run along.

I thought it read 'CONCUSSION noted' at first glance (I like skylow btw)
That would be funnier ;)

To add in, I would think they could cut a fighter after a loss legally. Why would UFC voluntarily add that in themselves?

I’m not a lawyer either, so I don’t quite understand how she has a case. Maybe she can recover if she demonstrates to the NLRB that the UFC has a consistent pattern of dumping fighters that try to organize.

But as I posted earlier ITT, she’d have little trouble getting an attorney to take her case on a contingency fee if the case was worth their time. Supposedly she’s “consulting with” Lucas Middlebrook, an expert in the field, but he’s charging by the hour if she needs GoFundMe.

Looking at Middlebrook's twitter I get the impression that his relationship with Project Spearhead is quite a deep and longstanding one, its not as if Leslie phoned him up last Friday and asked him to represent her. I'd say they were on a joint mission, one which needed funds, sure, but a bit more involved than the average ambulance chaser would bring to the table.

Where are you getting this from? That's not part of the contract.

It could be an interesting case depending on how much money she can raise and what kinda lawyer she can get. I'm assuming she's trying to establish the UFC basically got rid of her in retaliation for her union/association organizing, which the UFC wouldn't be able to do to their employees. So it's yet another mma lawsuit challenging fighter classification, but with this added layer of employer retaliation thrown in.
The UFC isn't obligated to resign anyone. Doesn't matter the reason why they don't either.

so negotiate a contract that reflects that. open the books up and people are going to be blown away at the profits, there is a reason why they dont want the books or the numbers being public. because it favors them massively, just like the backlash when they got 4 billion. people were like whoa ! thats big big coin to be paying someone peanuts
There you go.

Back