Lug's Spear: Unleashed S&P

Squat
185lbs: 5x5
-Really sore in the hamstrings still, felt it at the bottom of my squats quite a bit.

SOHP
85 lbs: 2x5, 1x4, 1x3, 1x2
-Going to have to back the weight off this a little if I want to hit 5x5.

BORs
95lbs: 1x8, 3x10, 1x8
-Just trying to get comfortable with these. I'm going to re-read the section in my SS book. I don't feel like I have a good grasp of what a good rep is yet.

Pull Ups (BW)
7, 4, 4

Notes:
I need to try to get more sleep or something. I don't feel like I'm recovered from my last workout. I think the recovery will go a lot faster if I make sure to be consistent. Having fun with the ol' squats though.

Life Update:
-Currently working on a masters in clinical mental health counseling
-Working part time as a teacher for special needs children at a non-profit private school
-Got engaged last valentines day, this log is actually older than my relationship come to think of it
-Back seems to be stiff at times, but I don't experience any pain so I'm going to keep an eye on that

Last edited:
Congrats on the engagement! When you say last Valentine's day do you mean a few weeks ago or Valentine's 2011? Either way congrats and good luck with the wedding planning.

Congrats on the engagement! When you say last Valentine's day do you mean a few weeks ago or Valentine's 2011? Either way congrats and good luck with the wedding planning.

Thanks Doc, yeah it was this past valentines from a few weeks ago. Now onto the wedding planning phase, the wedding list is becoming a monster that won't stop growing. How's everything going? Seems like your lifting is going pretty well.

Thanks Doc, yeah it was this past valentines from a few weeks ago. Now onto the wedding planning phase, the wedding list is becoming a monster that won't stop growing. How's everything going? Seems like your lifting is going pretty well.

Yeah wedding planning can be pretty daunting. Thankfully my wife was great at it, she's very meticulous and really knew what she wanted in terms of colour schemes, flowers, music etc.

Things are going pretty well with me. I made some good progress last year with lifting and am just shy of the 1000 total. I've been back training Muay Thai since the new year and I'm starting to get my conditioning back and not be gassed every class, lol. If I can be really consistent and get in more sparring I'm hoping I can do another fight in the Summer or Fall. My wife and I are trying to get pregnant so that kinda puts a time limit on Muay Thai.

Looks like you're pretty busy too. Good to see you lifting again.

Yeah wedding planning can be pretty daunting. Thankfully my wife was great at it, she's very meticulous and really knew what she wanted in terms of colour schemes, flowers, music etc.

Things are going pretty well with me. I made some good progress last year with lifting and am just shy of the 1000 total. I've been back training Muay Thai since the new year and I'm starting to get my conditioning back and not be gassed every class, lol. If I can be really consistent and get in more sparring I'm hoping I can do another fight in the Summer or Fall. My wife and I are trying to get pregnant so that kinda puts a time limit on Muay Thai.

Looks like you're pretty busy too. Good to see you lifting again.

I'm going to have to catch up on your log, a 1000 is awesome. Muay thai is a work out, do you have any videos of your past fights? Well if you need to be busy doing something, that's a pretty darn good option. Thanks, glad to hear you are doing well.

Welcome back Lugs! And congrats on your engagement.

^my wife is the same. She knows what she wants so the planning went smoothly (for the most part). The only thing i would advice you is to hire a wedding coordinator even for just the day of the wedding. They will take the stress away from your wife on that day and she'll be happy.

Welcome back Lugs! And congrats on your engagement.

^my wife is the same. She knows what she wants so the planning went smoothly (for the most part). The only thing i would advice you is to hire a wedding coordinator even for just the day of the wedding. They will take the stress away from your wife on that day and she'll be happy.

Thanks hatchoo. I may have to do that, we are trying to get a lot of it done in advance to lower our stress levels.

How many venues did you two see before you found one?

Thanks hatchoo. I may have to do that, we are trying to get a lot of it done in advance to lower our stress levels.

How many venues did you two see before you found one?

Our wedding reception was the 3rd one we looked at. The first one was just too expensive and the second one was ugly. If there are wedding conventions close to where you live then you should go there. They usually give you a good deal when you sign up right there. Also, get a good photographer/videographer because that would be the only memory you'll have. The day itself will go by quick.

Our wedding reception was the 3rd one we looked at. The first one was just too expensive and the second one was ugly. If there are wedding conventions close to where you live then you should go there. They usually give you a good deal when you sign up right there. Also, get a good photographer/videographer because that would be the only memory you'll have. The day itself will go by quick.

We went to one recently, the lady did take off quite a bit... but it was still really expensive. I think she must owe some money the way she had so many hidden fees. We have seen two so far and have another one lined up next weekend. The advice on the photographer is the same that my step dad suggested, we aren't going to cut any corners there. How much did you end up spending on the photographer if you don't mind my asking?

The photographer is definitely one place you don't want to be cheap. We found our photographer right as she was starting to get popular so we got her plus a second photographer for a good price. They were with us for 10 hours so they got lots of cool "getting ready" shots in the hotel room and were there for an hour or so after dinner so there are good pics of people drinking, dancing and having a good time.

My wife had the idea of setting up a photobooth with a chalkboard instead of a guest book. People wrote us messages and took cool/funny pictures instead of simply signing a guest book. It turned out really awesome and our photographer decided to start offering it as an extra service. She thanked us by making us a 8x8 photobook with all the photobooth pictures in it. Very cool.

We looked at 3 or 4 venues before deciding and then we looked at a couple more for the actual ceremony before deciding to do it on the patio of the restaurant.

Archeo

This place was pretty cool and it's in the historic Distillery District in Toronto. It's all old brick building, cobblestones sidewalks etc. It made for some cool pictures.

We gave our DJ a 3 page document of suggested songs to play, lol. We had stuff like the Dubliners and the Dropkick Murphys playing during dinner for a little Irish flare and then a bunch of classic rock and newer stuff for dancing. We didn't want top 40 dance music so the DJ just asked for a list of music and he put together an awesome playlist.

The best thing my wife did was break things down into categories and then tackle each one bit by bit. Our wedding folder on the computer has 27 folders in it, lol! It seemed really daunting at first but breaking it down into pieces made it manageable because you could just finish them one by one.

Last edited:
The photographer is definitely one place you don't want to be cheap. We found our photographer right as she was starting to get popular so we got her plus a second photographer for a good price. They were with us for 10 hours so they got lots of cool "getting ready" shots in the hotel room and were there for an hour or so after dinner so there are good pics of people drinking, dancing and having a good time.

My wife had the idea of setting up a photobooth with a chalkboard instead of a guest book. People wrote us messages and took cool/funny pictures instead of simply signing a guest book. It turned out really awesome and our photographer decided to start offering it as an extra service. She thanked us by making us a 8x8 photobook with all the photobooth pictures in it. Very cool.

We looked at 3 or 4 venues before deciding and then we looked at a couple more for the actual ceremony before deciding to do it on the patio of the restaurant.

Archeo

This place was pretty cool and it's in the historic Distillery District in Toronto. It's all old brick building, cobblestones sidewalks etc. It made for some cool pictures.

We gave our DJ a 3 page document of suggested songs to play, lol. We had stuff like the Dubliners and the Dropkick Murphys playing during dinner for a little Irish flare and then a bunch of classic rock and newer stuff for dancing. We didn't want top 40 dance music so the DJ just asked for a list of music and he put together an awesome playlist.

The best thing my wife did was break things down into categories and then tackle each one bit by bit. Our wedding folder on the computer has 27 folders in it, lol! It seemed really daunting at first but breaking it down into pieces made it manageable because you could just finish them one by one.

The ol' fiance was looking at those photobooths too, we may end up doing that. I'll have to mention the chalk board idea as well. We have been looking at venues that have outdoor ceremonies, both of us really like the idea of having it outside. We are a little concerned that fate may bring us rain though. Do you still have a copy of that list of Irish songs? My fiance and I met on our study abroad trip to Ireland so we have been trying to kick in some Irish themed stuff here and there. We would kill to do our honeymoon back over there like you and your wife did, but we may have a free place to stay for a week on the beach at florida and it's hard to argue with free right now. Doc did you record any of those MT fights you had on video?

I miss you, Lug. I miss you.

Hey man how the hell are ya? I drove past your dad's place the other day on my way into the city. Are you still out in the CO? How's the lifting?

The ol' fiance was looking at those photobooths too, we may end up doing that. I'll have to mention the chalk board idea as well. We have been looking at venues that have outdoor ceremonies, both of us really like the idea of having it outside. We are a little concerned that fate may bring us rain though. Do you still have a copy of that list of Irish songs? My fiance and I met on our study abroad trip to Ireland so we have been trying to kick in some Irish themed stuff here and there. We would kill to do our honeymoon back over there like you and your wife did, but we may have a free place to stay for a week on the beach at florida and it's hard to argue with free right now. Doc did you record any of those MT fights you had on video?

We still have all of our wedding stuff so when I get home I can PM you the list of songs.

Here's my fight. I'm in the red head gear, black shorts and sexy chest hair:

We went to one recently, the lady did take off quite a bit... but it was still really expensive. I think she must owe some money the way she had so many hidden fees. We have seen two so far and have another one lined up next weekend. The advice on the photographer is the same that my step dad suggested, we aren't going to cut any corners there. How much did you end up spending on the photographer if you don't mind my asking?

Ours was photo and video package and i think it's about $3,500 (2 photographers and 1 video for the whole day/night). I agree with the photobooth idea, we did the same thing and everyone had fun. Make sure that when you get a photobooth the pictures come out quick (within 1-3 minutes) and you can get unlimited copies (everyone in the picture will want to have their own copy).

Squat
-feeling pretty good, going to up the weight next week.

Bench
135lbs: 5x5
-Not too hard, still focusing on form here.

Deadlift
-Going to go up here as well.

SOHP
70lbs: 1x10, 2x8
-Tough, I like using this as an accessory exercise every other day.

Pull ups (BW)
9, 8, 5
-gotta get better here.

Notes: Felt good today, I'm fired up about lifting again. I have definitely missed doing deadlifts.

Also want to add my BW is still stuck at around 140 lbs. I might have to implement some 20 rep squats and see if that can give me somethin.

Last edited:
We still have all of our wedding stuff so when I get home I can PM you the list of songs.

Here's my fight. I'm in the red head gear, black shorts and sexy chest hair:

That thai clinch was badass in the last round. So it was a draw? Yeah that would be great, I could use ideas for music.

Ours was photo and video package and i think it's about $3,500 (2 photographers and 1 video for the whole day/night). I agree with the photobooth idea, we did the same thing and everyone had fun. Make sure that when you get a photobooth the pictures come out quick (within 1-3 minutes) and you can get unlimited copies (everyone in the picture will want to have their own copy).

Ok definitely going to make sure we get a photobooth it seems. I'll ask about the speed of printing/copies when we find someone to do it. Thanks for heads up on what to look for specifically in the photobooth.

That thai clinch was badass in the last round. So it was a draw? Yeah that would be great, I could use ideas for music.

Ok definitely going to make sure we get a photobooth it seems. I'll ask about the speed of printing/copies when we find someone to do it. Thanks for heads up on what to look for specifically in the photobooth.

Thanks, the clinch was my favourite part of the fight. I landed lots of kicks but I was disappointed that I didn't do more than jab/cross/kick. It was an exhibition fight so there were no judges and I was fighting another guy from my gym which is why we weren't going too hard. On that fight night I think there were 5 inter-gym fights and the rest were all between guys from my gym. Now when my gym does a fight night it's all inter-gym fights and they are more competitive but still exhibition fights. The legality of amateur Muay Thai in Ontario is murky at best so my gym doesn't bother trying to put on sanctioned fights, instead our top fighters go down to the US to fight. Kinda lame really, especially since MMA is legal now. Of course pro MMA brings in a lot more money than amateur Muay Thai.

Thanks, the clinch was my favourite part of the fight. I landed lots of kicks but I was disappointed that I didn't do more than jab/cross/kick. It was an exhibition fight so there were no judges and I was fighting another guy from my gym which is why we weren't going too hard. On that fight night I think there were 5 inter-gym fights and the rest were all between guys from my gym. Now when my gym does a fight night it's all inter-gym fights and they are more competitive but still exhibition fights. The legality of amateur Muay Thai in Ontario is murky at best so my gym doesn't bother trying to put on sanctioned fights, instead our top fighters go down to the US to fight. Kinda lame really, especially since MMA is legal now. Of course pro MMA brings in a lot more money than amateur Muay Thai.

To me it came off as both of you being relaxed. I am becoming less impressed with the government over there the more I hear about it. Supposedly the gun laws are ridiculous. What will your next fight be do you think?

If I can get in a good amount of training over the next few months I'm hoping to fight again in the summer. It will be against someone from another gym this time so it won't be as relaxed as my first fight so I want to get lots of training in.

Also, check your PMs. I sent you the entire document that we sent to our DJ. It includes a brief schedule and a big list of songs. We suggested a bunch of songs from Irish artists but he had trouble finding them so he used covers by Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphys (Fields of Athenry, Finnegan's Wake, Rare Old Times). It was actually pretty cool because who plays punk covers at a wedding?

edit: turns out I can't PM a file so I've attached here. It's a text file since the Word doc was too big. There is a huge list of music on the last few pages that were suggestions for post-dinner dancing and it was way too much but we basically looked at list of top songs from different years and brainstormed a huge list.

Last edited:
Back