Lug's Spear: Unleashed S&P

Look into BPC157. It is truly amazing. It will greatly help with your wrist issue and probably some other issues you may have been putting up with.
Thanks for the tip! It’s slowly getting there like most of these BJJ injuries. I’m finding every injury from joint locks I’ve had so far takes around 2-3 weeks to heel. The wrist one really has been annoying compared to the elbow ones I’ve had form armbars recently.

11/6/23
BJJ Rolling Log

I forgot to log this one and a lifting session too. In this training we practiced Americana from mount to start with. We then went into arm triangle if they counter the Americana and also armbar if they counter Americana. I like all the practice I can get to practice the arm triangle. The Americans position over and over again actually made my elbow sore the next day, but it’s all good now.

I got paired up with a white belt to start with who is a little older and not really interested in rolling. I showed him some kimura stuff I’ve been working on and we practiced that. I was a little disappointed not to get some more time rolling, but maybe it was a good thing to take it easy for a round. I then got paired up with a newer blue belt: I’ve rolled with him before as a white belt and usually don’t have any issues. In this round we were fairly even. I was mostly on the attack playing guard and working arm drags. I managed to get from guard to him in turtle position using the arm drag. He did well defending his arms so I couldn’t get my darce or crucifix entries I like from there. I probably should have just switched to leg rides/attacks since he was just basically tucking in his arms and elbows to his body. Hopefully I’ll do a little better rolling this next session.

Last edited:
Bench 3x4 155lbs

I’m under the weather today, wrist still feels sore benching. I haven’t been sick in a long time. I hope I can kick it before Saturday so I can do some more BJJ. Taking some dayquil and emergen-c vitamin stuff. I can tell I’m getting weaker by not lifting as consistently as I was a few weeks ago. Just need to get my ass in the garage and lift more.

Bench 3x4 155lbs
Jump rope for 5 min with the kiddo outside

My kid wanted play in the sandbox outside today so I did a few exercises until she got bored. I tried to show her some jump rope stuff while I did the jump rope. One of the lingering things from my Muay Thai days was jump rope skill. My Muay Thai coach was actually on TUF. It’s crazy how many people actually make it. I’m still sick with a cold, but I’m going to try to sneak in some more exercise before the day is done. I had to miss BJJ yesterday because of the cold, but I’m trying to make up for it by watching some leg lock instructionals. Going to start posting my weight every week for accountability. I’m 5’6 so at my current weight my BMI is not looking good. I want to get back to sub 150, so I’ll say 149.9 lbs is my goal.

Last edited:
Bench 3x5 155lbs
BORs 3x10 95lbs
Squats 3x5 135lbs
SOHP 3x5 85lbs
Curls

I’ve been sick this past week, but did workout once or twice while the website was down. I think I’m over the cold now and will be back to training BJJ this week. I guess a lot of people are getting sick at BJJ, the coach sent out an email telling people not to come in if they are sick.

I’ve been wearing my St. Wilhelm waffle beanie and baseball hat when lifting for some insoiritation from the old days. If I could figure out how to put pictures on here I’d show them. The OGs on the forum remember that stuff.

Last edited:
BJJ Rolling Log

Pre-class goals:
Get to 50/50 position 1x ✅
Attempt 1x heel hook ✅

Instruction: we did some mount escapes if someone tries to collar choke you or Americana lock. Then did some sweeps if the top guy goes for s mount.

We started with some live drilling escaping mount. I did really well at this. I still use moves I learned a long time ago to escape. Then we rolled and I was paired up with a white belt of similar size. I submitted them quite a few times with darces, triangle chokes, and RNC. I got to the leg lock position I wanted and had a heel hook in where I gently applied pressure. The person didn’t seem to have any idea of the danger so I just let it go. Catch and release is much better than risking your training partner getting injured.

Last edited:
BJJ Rolling Log

Technique: Hip escape from side control. I’m not sure if this is called a reverse shrimp or what, but it wasn’t a traditional shrimp. We used it to either get to our knees and try to take the back from side control or instead recompose guard. The instructor added some cool tips to avoid getting guillotined darce’d.

Rolling: I got paired with a newer blue belt. I tapped him quite a few times. I could tell he was getting frustrated and kind of hated that for him. I think his ego was getting involved about not having more even roll with me. I usually have this kind of success against him. I think I landed guillotine choke, crucifix choke, go go plata, short choke from back, heel hook, and calf slicer. The calf slicer was from the truck position. I’m kind of surprised how I seemed to go for some more 10th planet school style attacks today. Second guy was a white belt and I submitted him a few times with the north south choke, guillotine, short choke. I had him in a deep heel hook and he wasn’t tapping. I was not willing to actually hurt him and just let it go. I’m not ashamed to admit he caught me with an outside heel hook from 50/50. I was impressed, I need to be more wary of how far my legs get from my upper body. I was totally gassed the last 4 minutes and so was he, we kind of just trapped positions without much attack. All in all a good night since I’m just feeling better from being sick, I’ve had a cough for about 2 weeks now. I thought I was better last BJJ class, but I think the physical exertion triggered it again.

Take alot of fish oil. Have fun. You'll feel like a million bucks after traning for a few months.
Do you jog/run regularly? I did a few 5ks last year, but not fast or anything. My goal is going to be 30 minutes for this one. Might be a stretch since I think last year I was doing 35min 5ks.

Do you jog/run regularly? I did a few 5ks last year, but not fast or anything. My goal is going to be 30 minutes for this one. Might be a stretch since I think last year I was doing 35min 5ks.
I use to run avidly before I got hurt. I finally strengthend myself back in shape to handle a running program and was hitting it about 4 times a week last spring through summer. I'm not very fast but I cut alot of time off my 5k when I train hard. My 5k time is always my progress tracker. Just feels like the perfect distance for an average runner

I use to run avidly before I got hurt. I finally strengthend myself back in shape to handle a running program and was hitting it about 4 times a week last spring through summer. I'm not very fast but I cut alot of time off my 5k when I train hard. My 5k time is always my progress tracker. Just feels like the perfect distance for an average runner
That’s awesome. My primary goal is to try to do the race without stopping to walk. I can usually do this, but then have too much gas in the tank near the end of the race. That is a good idea for progress tracking. I like the community feeling of it and the motivation I get. I have a buddy who is going to run it as well.

BJJ Rolling Log

Technique: we did neon belly today. It’s not a position I like to use, but that’s still some good exposure. I remember a long time ago hearing about reverse knee on belly and wanting to try that out. This was mostly about countering people trying to escape knee on belly by pushing on the knee with the defenders far arm.

Rolling: Today I felt kind of tired and I think that impacted my aggression. In my first roll I got an outside heel hook from single leg x that the guy escaped. I was able to enter the 50/50 outside senaku that I’m trying to practice. I’m starting to enjoy leg locks. Second roll of was really even, the guy had a lot of weight on me like 60 pounds and we mostly stalemated in halfguard. Neither of us subbed the other. Third roll I landed a darce, really happy about that. I’ve spend a lot of time studying this submission. I was able to finish an Americana from side control, he left his arm out too far defending. He escaped a triangle really well and overall this guy did much better defending against me today than typical. Last roll was with a purple belt, I suspect he is the best student at the place. We had a good back and forth roll to start with, but he eventually got me in a darce. He tried a series of moves on me and I was able to escape. He was more excited than I was I think about my escapes. I think he typically whoops everyone’s ass so some good resistance makes him happy. Overall a good night of training, kind of left wishing I had more finishes, but that’s ok. In processing my fatigue I think it’s because I was fasting all day. I’m trying to reduce these calories. Maybe I’ll eat something small right before training next time. Forgot to mention I hurt my pinky toe, but nothing too series. Hopefully it will be better in a week.

We all got the flu in this household so training has been on pause. Crazy how fast it spreads. Missed a Demian Maia seminar because of it. Argh!

This month has been nuts with the family getting sick. Finally got back to BJJ yesterday.

Technique: it was open mat, but I helped a white belt guy with armbars and shrimp to recompose guard from under side control.

Rolling: I had a good back and forth with another blue belt. He tapped me with a toehold. I was surprised because I felt like I had the heel hook on him from 50/50, but I had the finishing grip wrong. I caught him with a kimura variation (tarikoplata).

I was actually kind of nervous to roll after not rolling for a few weeks. I feel like I lose my timing quickly when I don’t train. I did better than I thought I would.

1/3/2024

BJJ Roling log

Technique: We practiced several ways of going for the Americana shoulder lock from side control. One interesting technique for this we learned was the ‘rat trap.’ It seems to be a technique that Pedro sauer teaches. It’s kind of a sneaky way of preparing to grab the wrist without the other person noticing.

Rolling: I did several rounds with a purple belt. I was dead tired after this. He tapped me more times than I could count. The purple belt tried to show me how I was over committing my weight from top side control leading to his reversals. I had some fun trying to leg lock him at times, but I did not catch him with that. I managed to get one tap with a crucifix choke technique that I learned from a Marcelo Garcia dvd a long time ago. It was fun to be back training.

BJJ Rolling Loc

1/10/2024

Technique: we practiced various ways of attacking the Americana from side control. I don’t really like this submission from side control, but it’s a good basic move to go for.

Rolling: it was a small class today. I got paired up with a teenager initially and tried to go super easy on them. I tried to really focus on using no strength at all. I ended up teaching him the ghost escape from side control and the darce choke when he asked me after I used them against him. My last roll was with a woman who seemed kind of frustrated she tapped so many times to the guy before her. I tried to let her do her thing and not really try to submit her. I didn’t see any value in trying to beat someone when they are down. I don’t think it helped her that much, she seemed to notice I was letting her out of submission attempts and knew I was taking it easy. I didn’t really like having such easy rolls, but that’s alright.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back