Luxury cars getting destroyed by American trucks

bad seed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
More-Luxury-Buyers-Ditch-the-Imports-and-Pick-Up-a-Truck-The-New-York-Times-2018-11-17-19-33-59.png

More Luxury Buyers Ditch the Imports and Pick Up a Truck
merlin_133871898_68f70028-e776-4d29-8755-b92b7a9361e5-superJumbo.jpg

When Lee Victorian was looking for an upscale car to complement his wife’s BMW last year, he was leaning toward an Audi A6 — a sedan whose acceleration, refinement and dazzling array of advanced technologies, like automatic braking and radar-based cruise control, he found alluring.

But what he drove off the lot was an entirely different kind of premium vehicle, and one more luxury buyers are choosing: a pickup truck.

Mr. Victorian, a retired Michigan state trooper, bought a Raptor version of the Ford F-150. The Raptor is a truck with the soul of a racecar: It has a 450-horsepower engine, a 10-speed transmission, electronic ride settings for seven different road surfaces, big chrome wheels, a power tailgate, cameras at all four corners and an adaptive cruise control system similar to the Audi’s. With all those options, the sticker price came to about $80,000.

“Man, this truck is so slick,” Mr. Victorian said. “I stop at a light and people give me the thumbs up and take pictures of it. The truck is the celebrity.”

For the last few years, the auto industry has been roiled by a significant shift in consumer tastes. In droves, Americans are turning their backs on family sedans and small cars and flocking to bigger, roomier models like sport utility vehicles and trucks. In January, two of every three new vehicles sold were classified as trucks, including S.U.V.s, pickups, minivans and the lighter cousins of S.U.V.s known as crossovers.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/automobiles/wheels/luxury-trucks-suv.html

lol The Germans are getting destroyed by American trucks because customers are realizing these new land barges are more luxurious than a similarly priced offering from BMW or Mercedes. And the landscape has changed enough that something like a Denali or Raptor holds more prestige than an X5 or E class sedan. Body-on-frame cars dominating the marketplace. There's going to be a lot of pain when gas prices rise again.

18navigatorl-bl-destination_15_hr.jpg

vs
2018_bmw_x5_dashboard.jpg

lol who would buy an X5 with that poverty interior when you could step into the opulent luxury of the new Navigator?

Was I the only one expecting...
DarlingLeafyCanary-max-1mb.gif
???

Not surprised. I'm originally from northern Europe (we only have small cars by American standards), but moved to canada a few years back. I'm 6'3 and have sat in multitudes of vehicles including Lexus, Mercedes, BMW and Audi's but I've never been more comfortable and had more room than in my brother in law's GMC denali. Also you never have to worry about weather (snow) or whether or not you have enough space in the trunk for all the kid stuff we're lugging around these days.

18navigatorl-bl-destination_15_hr.jpg

vs
2018_bmw_x5_dashboard.jpg

lol who would buy an X5 with that poverty interior when you could step into the opulent luxury of the new Navigator?

I agree, that Navigator interior looks nice. However, brand snobbery keeps some people from buying less prestigious brands.

His truck still cost 80 grand, but I guess if the 80 grand gets you more than what an 80 grand german car costs then sure. I don't know anything about Ford, are they reliable or better than the Audi he could've bought?
I haven't heard great things about Audi either but who knows

I currently own a german and a japanese vehicle. My japanese vehicle, although much slower, I'm loving it. Both are manual transmission, but for my japanese vehicle, I gotta constantly shift in order to keep up with the flow. I just love being engaged with the vehicle

Not surprised. I'm originally from northern Europe (we only have small cars by American standards), but moved to canada a few years back. I'm 6'3 and have sat in multitudes of vehicles including Lexus, Mercedes, BMW and Audi's but I've never been more comfortable and had more room than in my brother in law's GMC denali. Also you never have to worry about weather (snow) or whether or not you have enough space in the trunk for all the kid stuff we're lugging around these days.
there's a lot of recent Eastern European immigrants where I am and they all buy a bigass truck as soon as they can afford it. I imagine a lot of Europeans envy our wide roads and cheap gas which makes it possible.

I agree, that Navigator interior looks nice. However, brand snobbery keeps some people from buying less prestigious brands.
did you even read the article I linked? The entire point is that American luxury trucks are now the new prestigious car and people are trading in their German cars for a big ol Raptor. A Raptor is way more prestigious than a Range Rover or Cayenne these days.

This saddens me.

At least a poser driving a sports sedan can still speed... what is the point of all these gigantic vanity trucks that will never leave pavement or dirty their beds?

When it's time to get a new vehicle I'm definitely going back to a pickup. Looking at the Tacomas.

cc_2018tot090001_01_640_218.jpg

Come here to Southern California it's out of control. so many wannabe lifted truck bros as usual also... Tacoma drivers are probably the biggest douchebags on the road. F150 right after. A bunch of people who don't even use the full size trucks for what they're made for either...

The Worst is girls who drive Lifted Jeep Wranglers and think they're the shit.

The reason is because they’re more expensive and don’t offer anything significant.

The reason is because they’re more expensive and don’t offer anything significant.
another person who didnt read the OP. These new top trim trucks now cost more than European luxury cars and are still outselling them.

there's a lot of recent Eastern European immigrants where I am and they all buy a bigass truck as soon as they can afford it. I imagine a lot of Europeans envy our wide roads and cheap gas which makes it possible.

Not really envy. I hadn't been to North America before I moved over here so I didn't know what I was missing. :)

Very small percentage of people can actually afford this shit. This is the 2008 housing bubble all over but with auto loans because of cheap money and uncle same mandated low rates post '08. The amount of people defaulting on subprime loans is now over a trillion.

saupload_1-2_thumb1.png

4 door trucks are just vastly more useable than some fucking car.

More comfortable too.

<20>

Come here to Southern California it's out of control. so many wannabe lifted truck bros as usual also... Tacoma drivers are probably the biggest douchebags on the road. F150 right after. A bunch of people who don't even use the full size trucks for what they're made for either...

The Worst is girls who drive Lifted Jeep Wranglers and think they're the shit.
Seems to be California drivers in general. Everytime I see some asshole cutting over three lanes without so much as turning his blinker on he's got California plates

My last 4 vehicles have been SUVs and I’m never buying a car again.

More comfortable, sitting higher, amd I actually spend a lot of time on gravel and dirt roads to go fishing and hiking in more remote spots.

Currently driving a 2017 Toyota Highlander and it is a really nice vehicle.

Back