Made a chef's knife for christmas

A thing of beauty and a terrific gift: practical, personal, and pretty.

A thing of beauty and a terrific gift: practical, personal, and pretty.

Thank you. He's a really good cook, so when I started making knives I promised him I would make him a chef's knife, but its been so long now, I think he's given up hope lol.

Thank you. He's a really good cook, so when I started making knives I promised him I would make him a chef's knife, but its been so long now, I think he's given up hope lol.

It'll be a part of the story now. Like when the Blade Runner sequel came out 30 years later.

Looks amazing.

I'm trying to feel better about myself by choosing to believe you don't know how to sharpen a blade, despite making one.

Looks amazing.

I'm trying to feel better about myself by choosing to believe you don't know how to sharpen a blade, despite making one.

I'm not good with sharpening when it comes to using hand stones, so you're not wrong. I use an old rotating whetstone and strop it afterwards with a leather buffing wheel loaded with fine diamond paste. Much easier, and the result is shaving sharp, easy.

How much would you charge for one of those? It's gorgeous and I might be interested.

Is the edge double or single beveled? What's the blade angle?

I have questions, dammit.

I personally do not like using knives with round handles, but this looks good.

Happy Festivus, folks. As a seasoned procrastinator, I finally finished this chefs knife for my nephew around 2 o'clock this morning. Here in Norway, we open the presents today, at Christmas eve, so I'm cutting it close.

Spring steel blade, differentially heat treated with clay. The hamon is there but not really visible in the pics because my attempts at etching were... unsatisfactory to say the least, so I sanded away the etch for a more plain, satin finish.

Beech burl handle and spring steel blade. 12" blade, 6" handle.

Lijgi1W.jpg

NeAcF32.jpg

DCS3hmi.jpg

hkPhpjT.jpg

Fantastic work. Don't know if it cuts much, but it looks beautiful.

While not a huge fan of the beech burl myself, the knife looks legit, man. Well done, and well beyond my skill level.

I'll take 1 how much

How much would you charge for one of those? It's gorgeous and I might be interested.

Is the edge double or single beveled? What's the blade angle?

I have questions, dammit.

Thank you both, that is very flattering. Unfortunately I dont sell my knives. I work slow as shit and if I were to charge a price that would be worth it to me for all the work I put in, it would frankly be too high compared to the quality a customer would get. I only make them to keep for myself, or as gifts to those close to me. Someday, when i'm good enough to work faster and keep the quality up, and when my skills of heat treating are good enough that I feel I can guarantee a good product, I might start selling them. Maybe...

As for specs, the blade is bevelled on each side, sharpened at somewhere between 15 and 20 degrees. Its a full flat grind, 2.5 mm thick at the spine, and about 0.3 mm above the edge.

Back