Magnesium Carbonate, 4oz Gloves, and Sledgehammers

Thanks, DSon, and I agree with ya. Probably right about what I shoulda done, although I try to not lie as much as possible.

Today's lifting

Warm-up – int/ext shoulder rotations, some dynamic stretching, 1x6 min Bas Thai round (every other combo)

Bench (all TNG)
45x20
150x8
190x5
215x3
240x1 (+wraps)
270x1
270x1
275x1
275x1
280x1 (+5lb PR)
280x1
285x1 (+10lb PR)

Going to go for a contest max the last week of Feb. I should be able to get 300+

OHS
75x8
115x5

FS
140x8
170x5

BS
202x5
235x3 (I think… oops)
267x4 (making up for brain fart on the previous set)
297x8 (+belt)

210x20

BORs
100x20

Bridges
Stretches

Too narrow. Too loose. You don't set up at all, which is good since it means you're strong without having to do anything special, but you could be lifting a lot more. I'm friends with Horace Lane, so you can trust me on that.

Thanks, Joe. It felt lighter than expected, too.

Fatty - By narrow, I assume you mean grip. Easy enough to fix that. But when you say I'm too loose, what exactly are you talking about? And what do you mean that I'm not setting up? Like a higher arch or what? I've got some arch, although it's hard to see with such a loose shirt on.

not to interrupt your discussion of progress, but i hope you guys know, the titles of these training logs are getting gayer and gayer by the day.

That is all.
Good luck.

The opinion of somebody who mostly posts in the heavies in regards to the name of my log fails to bother me.

Fatty - By narrow, I assume you mean grip. Easy enough to fix that. But when you say I'm too loose, what exactly are you talking about? And what do you mean that I'm not setting up? Like a higher arch or what? I've got some arch, although it's hard to see with such a loose shirt on.

It just looks like you're laying down, grabbing the bar and pressing it. I don't have the best of set-ups, but it still feels like work just getting my body into optimal position to bench.

It just looks like you're laying down, grabbing the bar and pressing it. I don't have the best of set-ups, but it still feels like work just getting my body into optimal position to bench.

It feels like a lot more effort than it looks like in that video. When I first got that bench, it took longer to find a place, but I think now that I've gotten used to it, there's some muscle memory there or something. I'll keep that in mind and play around with finding finding a good position, though.

And can you expand on your "too loose" comment, please, also? Or does that fall into the above?

Planned to lift yesterday, but woke up sick. Felt a little better as the day went on, but felt a little worse this morning...

Still fighting a cold, but I feel like I need to do something. Did some push-ups and BW squats on Monday and felt weak, so I figured it’d be good if I started with my deload, which was where I more or less left off, anyways.,

Warm-up – Int/Ext shoulder rotations, some kicking the bag

OHS
45x10
95x6

FS
135x5
165x5

Squat
190x5
205x5
220x5

No 20 reppers today. Still not 100%.

Bench (paused +bands; not sure how much the bands actually add, but I know I can pick up a 45lb plate with them standing, and they’re stretched pretty good all throw the ROM due to how I have them set up: 1 end of the bands on each end of the barbell and under the bench…)
45x10
95x5
135x5
150x5
165x5
177x5

DB BORs
100x10
100x10

Many people don't want to actually do anything to get any results; they just want to think they're doing something, but if it actually requires an effort, they stop.

I was going to say that I haven't seen much action in your log lately...good to see you back

Only 15 days between workouts... Nice to know people follow my log at least occasionally, though.

Also, forgot to put it in my log, but I drove up to Fairlawn and bought 5x45lb plates today from a husband and wife PT team who had an ad on Craigslist. Figured $20/plate wasn't bad. I was hoping to get the 7 they had originally advertised, but somebody else claimed 2 before me. While I won't be able to max out on DLs without going somewhere else or getting some more plates, at least I can do conventional DLs as part of my routine again, and I can continue to make progress on squats. I think I'm gonna wait to throw conventional DLs into my 5/3/1 sheet until after the bench race is over so I don't have to keep track of Dls being in wave 1 and everything else being wave 6 or w/e I'm on now. Plus I need to test a rep max to figure out what to use on the spreadsheet.

Deload/DE week Day 2

Warm-up - ~1 mile jog with my dog to the mailbox and back for the mail (note: dog has much better footing on the ice than I do); int/ext shoulder rotations

ZDL (+ bands)
135x5
165x5
190x5
205x5
220x5

Conventional DL (no bands)
315x5 (DOH)
365x1 (hook)
365x3 (mixed, +chalk)
405x1
405x1
415x1
425x1
435x1
Felt a little strain in my left bicep, which was the hand with the palm up, so I decided that was a good place to stop.

SOHP
45x15
85x5
100x5
110x5
117x5

Rope Pull-Ups
BW x5
BW x5
BW x5
BW x5
BW x4

Ring Push-ups
BW x12
BW x15

Bridges
Stretches

Kimura Drill on grappling dummy
x50 (25 per side, alternating)

Warm-up – Int/Ext shoulder rotations

BW Squats
x20

OHS
45x8

FS
135x5

BS
225x5
247x5
265x5
280x5

Just don’t have it in me to do anymore. Not sure if that bug’s still hanging on, or if it just sapped my strength more than I thought. Although, I did better than I thought I would when I started, but I skipped a bit of my normal warm-up routine, too.

My buddy tried to talk me into doing NAGA at the Arnold, but considering I haven’t really rolled in almost a year, and especially with how shot my conditioning and recovery is right now, I can’t see paying a $90 entrance fee for what could very well be 1 roll, especially when I wouldn’t be allowed to use any leglocks.

I may try to do bench tomorrow morning before work, since, unless I hear otherwise, I don't need to get going until almost 9am.

Warm-up – Int/Ext shoulder rotations, dynamic stretches, 2x3min Bas Thai rounds, every other combo

OHS
75x8
115x5

FS
140x8
170x5

BS
205x5
250x3
265x3
280x3
295x7 (+ belt)

215x20

Bench (some paused, a few in the latter sets TNG)
45x10
75x10
135x5
195x3
205x3
220x3
232x5 (TNG, + wraps)

DB BORs
100x15
100x15

Ring Push-ups (paused)
x10
x12

Rope Pull-Ups
x5
x5
x5
x5
x5

Notes:
Red Zone + pseudoephedrine + aspirin + 1 serving of rock star = slightly upset stomach ~30 min after ingestion to ~60 min.
Felt weak, so I decided I needed some roids and so am cooking a Big John Special pizza and broccoli/spinach/cheddar bowl for PWO supper.
Also, reconsidering the Personal Trainer thing… Not doing very good at motivating my neighbor to get into a good routine and stick with it… Of course, maybe lifting at the same time is the wrong idea. I tend to be very focused on what I’m doing when I lift and my brain is focused on that, not setting up and explaining things to someone else… Also, he was quite discouraged after watching my 215x20 squats, feeling that there’s no point as he’ll never get there. I tried to point out that I thought the same thing when I started, and that I still see people do lifting accomplishments that I wonder if I can ever do, but I use it as drive to push myself, and as long as I’m improving, that matters. I also pointed out that he’s doing better than I did when I first started. He tried to say that he’s not just starting, but I tried to explain that even though he’s lifted off and on for a year, it doesn’t really count since he hasn’t been on a good program or very consistent.

pseudoephedrine + aspirin + 1 serving of rock star is one of my favs.

pseudoephedrine + aspirin + 1 serving of rock star is one of my favs.

What I drink for caffeine varies. Usually it's a Pepsi Max (what I keep around the house), but the Rock Star was calling my name in the Wal-Mart checkout line this afternoon.

Back