Maia Prayer Vigil

fuck that fat bald pos ref he almost cost maia the fight lmaooooo but my god maia showing amazing tec against fence in stopping the wall walk learning a lot of good stuff

think he was showing his age at the end though didnt look very good in round 3

My candle is lit.
Good fight.

Rocco Martin doesn't have a huge name but he's good. He put a guy to sleep with either an anaconda or brabo choke this year and then beat Sergio Moraes. I was a little nervous for Maia in this fight. Martin has a gnarly front headlock series and when he briefly locked up that guillotine in round 2 I held my breath for a bit.

I thought Maia did a great job in the first two rounds. That ref standup in round 2 was complete bullshit. They were working and there was no reason to stand them up.

Maia is in my top 3 favorite fighters of all time and a huge reason why I love him so much is his methodical style. But I do think he might have more finishes (and he already has a lot) if he threw in the occasional opportunistic sub attempts. I'm thinking Tonon/Oliveira/Aoki style of 'catching subs' as opposed to insisting on getting the back every single time.

His insistence on the back is one of the things I love about him but when he had Martin seated up against the fence I kept thinking the guillotine was wide open. And I think it would work for Maia because opponents expect him to methodically work his way to the back and they don't expect him to 'snatch up subs' in that way.

Good fight.

Rocco Martin doesn't have a huge name but he's good. He put a guy to sleep with either an anaconda or brabo choke this year and then beat Sergio Moraes. I was a little nervous for Maia in this fight. Martin has a gnarly front headlock series and when he briefly locked up that guillotine in round 2 I held my breath for a bit.

I thought Maia did a great job in the first two rounds. That ref standup in round 2 was complete bullshit. They were working and there was no reason to stand them up.

Maia is in my top 3 favorite fighters of all time and a huge reason why I love him so much is his methodical style. But I do think he might have more finishes (and he already has a lot) if he threw in the occasional opportunistic sub attempts. I'm thinking Tonon/Oliveira/Aoki style of 'catching subs' as opposed to insisting on getting the back every single time.

His insistence on the back is one of the things I love about him but when he had Martin seated up against the fence I kept thinking the guillotine was wide open. And I think it would work for Maia because opponents expect him to methodically work his way to the back and they don't expect him to 'snatch up subs' in that way.

yeah that ref was a fuckin idiot he almost cost maia the fight lol standing up a guy from mount because he doesnt understand the position they were in in the slightest

that guy was pretty good surprised how easily maia got him down though idk what happened t maia n round 3 but he just ran i know he wanted to coast but he was very weak looking as if he was hurt or something.

My candle is lit.
That was one ugly win. His opponent was well prepared for the grappling exchanges. It made for a mostly boring fight imo. The most interesting part to me was watching Maia play guard at the end. His half guard got shut down a bit when he pulled guard from the td attempt in Rd 3. The standup battle was atrocious

That was one ugly win. His opponent was well prepared for the grappling exchanges. It made for a mostly boring fight imo. The most interesting part to me was watching Maia play guard at the end. His half guard got shut down a bit when he pulled guard from the td attempt in Rd 3. The standup battle was atrocious
I agree it wasn't the prettiest win but honestly I'll take everything I can get. Especially because I expected him to retire after the Woodley/Covington/Usman losses. I want Maia to go out on a W whenever he decides to hang it up. His run from early 2015 to the Woodley title shot in mid 2017 is one of my favorite runs of all time.

Even if it wasn't an awesome performance by his standards it's trippy to watch a 41 year old with as many fights under the belt as Maia still winning when everyone knows what he's going to do.

Oh wow. Just read this. I guess he has 2 fights left on his contract and said this.

“My goal is pretty much win the fights,” he said. “And if I can catch up with Cerrone, because now I’m the second in most wins with 21 and Cerrone has 23. So if I can do three more fights and win, and he doesn’t keep winning, and I can pass him, it would be great. It’s something that would be great to retire with.”

It's an admirable goal but I hope he doesn't overdo it trying to get there. I don't know if I see Cowboy not winning another fight in the amount of time it could take Maia to fight 3 more times.

(It's the thread that never dies!)
but my god maia showing amazing tec against fence in stopping the wall walk learning a lot of good stuff

The seated cagewalk position is very strong for the bottom guy to escape with if he knows how to use it, and a big speed-bump even if they don't. Not a lot of guys really seem to have a good idea on how to deal with it; not too surprising, since it's a situation that only shows up in MMA and hence isn't historically developed or explored in other combat sports (much like cagework or ground and pound in general).

I think certain tactics for attacking butterfly guard, such as cradles or nelson hold steering wheels, would also be good starting points to adapt methods for turning guys away from the cage to their backs in these situations. Before he started giving up, Darion Caldwell also showed how the hammerlock is always useful for setting up gnp as well, in the first round of the Horiguchi fight.

(18:55)

Getting to the leg weave or bunch position on a near side cradle (that is, one or both legs behind their top leg) is a perfect staging point for launching attacks; whether a front headlock choke, or double wrist lock, or simple ground and pound.

(It's the thread that never dies!)

The seated cagewalk position is very strong for the bottom guy to escape with if he knows how to use it, and a big speed-bump even if they don't. Not a lot of guys really seem to have a good idea on how to deal with it; not too surprising, since it's a situation that only shows up in MMA and hence isn't historically developed or explored in other combat sports (much like cagework or ground and pound in general).

I think certain tactics for attacking butterfly guard, such as cradles or nelson hold steering wheels, would also be good starting points to adapt methods for turning guys away from the cage to their backs in these situations. Before he started giving up, Darion Caldwell also showed how the hammerlock is always useful for setting up gnp as well, in the first round of the Horiguchi fight.

(18:55)

Getting to the leg weave or bunch position on a near side cradle (that is, one or both legs behind their top leg) is a perfect staging point for launching attacks; whether a front headlock choke, or double wrist lock, or simple ground and pound.

yeah i just dont understand why wrestlers dont sit here watching these fights realize that 90% of the time they lose position is due to guys scooting to the fence and they seem to have 0 real answer t other than letting them up and trying to mat return its crazy that they dont even try i personally dont think most even put any thought into it to know or realize that they lose there most of the time

i do think cradles would be a great option to turning the hips only issue is when they get their back to the fence and head and they are very high postured it may be hard to get your hands around their head to even get to the cradle

Learn From Demian Maia himself. About 5 spots remain open...seminar at Delaware Jiujitsu in Chadds Ford, PA., November 10th with Demian Maia. 3 hour seminar, $130. [email protected] for info/registration

the askren fight looked like a UFC 1 fight at times, very my skill vs ur skill - sadly askren has zero standup - and bjj won in the end

bumped for the final conflict

manly-tears-were-shed_o_232352.jpg

I mean let’s be honest the man is 43. It’s time to hang up the gloves. He can continue to compete and due to his technical level make it competitive fights against people but he is well past his prime. It’s just a paycheck for him now. I’m sure he could switch to coaching and due to his success and unique style garner a lot of interest from students to make a decent income.

I cheered for him like I did for very few fighters. Hope he quits it before we'll see some bad KO or him getting subbed badly (thinking about Minotauro and Jacarè :().

Few positions more annoying in MMA than watching a guy snatch up a single, then freeze holding it there against the cage endlessly, like he’s a video game character & the controller just got unplugged. And that was pretty much his whole offense the entire fight. Love me some Demian Maia, guy’s a legend, but man that was frustrating to watch

Back