Maia Prayer Vigil

Please god bring me a flying armbar. Amen.

damn his single legs are something... when you watch MMA you don't see much sing leg takedowns finishes. but Maia taking down every one in every fight..

Maia currently is one of the best wrestlers in mma, taking everybody down with efficiency. Although most people will hold to the idea that a great bjj guy can't be a great wrestler just because.

Withering BJJ presence? You DO know that almost every, single MMA practitioner has at least SOME BJJ in their arsenal? It's almost required. You can do Muay Thai...and BJJ. Or boxing...and BJJ. Or wrestling...and BJJ. But I don't think you can really survive in MMA today without a passing knowledge of "our" sport?

yes but Ultimate boxing has taken its place for the most part

heck there is one UFC champ with a base of BJJ now in Penn and he is happy jabbing for several rounds

Maia currently is one of the best wrestlers in mma, taking everybody down with efficiency. Although most people will hold to the idea that a great bjj guy can't be a great wrestler just because.

His MMA wrestling is excellent. He's deceptively powerful (you can watch him basically beast Chael Sonnen to the ground in their MW fight), and he uses the cage really well to set up clinch TDs.

His MMA wrestling is excellent. He's deceptively powerful (you can watch him basically beast Chael Sonnen to the ground in their MW fight), and he uses the cage really well to set up clinch TDs.

My thoughts exactly? How hard is it to defend a single? Im not sayung its easy but youre going in a fight knowing that that is your opponent's go to. And you have a whole training camp to neutralize it. Maia might have retard strength.

Here are the words of the book, written in Babylon by Baruc, son of Nerias, son of Maasias, son of Sedecias, son of Asadias, son of Helcias, in the fifth year, on the seventh day of the month, in the epoch in which the Caldeus took Jerusalem and made passage through the fire

WAR MAIA!

My thoughts exactly? How hard is it to defend a single? Im not sayung its easy but youre going in a fight knowing that that is your opponent's go to. And you have a whole training camp to neutralize it. Maia might have retard strength.
If you think you can teach someone to be impossible to single-leg in six weeks then a glittering and profitable career in Olympic wrestling coaching awaits you.

You guys are too funny! Yeah Maia will win by triangle choke in the 2nd.

Seriously? How hard is it to defend a single? Very hard. Very, very hard when someone is good at it. You know, just like every other technique performed by a practitioner at a high level. The single leg has been refined for literally thousands of years, and you think a training camp is enough time to "solve" it? And you think Maia's STRENGTH is the determining factor in why he is so dominant? The sheer silliness.

Withering BJJ presence? You DO know that almost every, single MMA practitioner has at least SOME BJJ in their arsenal? It's almost required. You can do Muay Thai...and BJJ. Or boxing...and BJJ. Or wrestling...and BJJ. But I don't think you can really survive in MMA today without a passing knowledge of "our" sport?

I am talking about the dying breed of mat-sharks like Maia. Few people have jiu-jitsu as the HEART of their game. I think that's preeeeetty obvious. No need to play devil's advocate and sour up this thread. But someone's always got to be mister smarty pants.

Now I have to light another candle to clear the bad mojo. Let's keep the vibes clean from here on out, K.

candlelight.jpg

Yes...because single legs...NOT double legs are the takedown of the wrestler meatheads with retard strength and athleticism. And wrestling takedowns are completely about strength. Single legs are not the most common takedown in wrestling that has literally dozens of legitimate variations, that work for every body type, strength level, and level of athleticism in wrestling. It's not the takedown used as a signature technique by wrestling powerhouses like St. Paris Graham (meaning that if you wrestle a Graham kid who's last name isn't Taylor, a cutback single is coming). And it isn't seen from pee wee to the Olympics (and MMA)

Sarcasm aside (sorry could resist, please don't get actually offended :p)
A well executed single leg is one of the hardest shots to defend and there are dozens of ways to finish no matter what your opponent does.

While I get the appeal of ankle picks/low singles to bjj guys for various reasons, A lot of which I think are based on misconceptions. I'm surprised there isn't more of an emphasis on single legs, and trying to find different variations of single legs by bjj guys, especially with all the half and sit-up guard now days

EDIT: And I called Maia having the better stand-up :), and based off what I've seen of Nelson's wrestling training, six weeks of the type of wrestling training he was getting wasn't going to make a difference

Maia could drag kaiju monsters to the bottom of the ocean.

heck there is one UFC champ with a base of BJJ now in Penn and he is happy jabbing for several rounds

You do realize that until Lesnar won the title every single UFC Chmpion had a BJJ BB right? Its simply a requirement to have at least a "good" sub/sub defense game to even survive.

Firstly I don't think the single is Maia's go to. But in any case, it's really hard to defend if it's well applied. You might as well ask Aldo how hard it is to slip a hook. If the person doing it to you is one of the best in the world at it, it's pretty damn hard. Maia's strength helps his grappling, but it's hardly the reason he makes guys like Gunnie look like white belts.

You do realize that until Lesnar won the title every single UFC Chmpion had a BJJ BB right? Its simply a requirement to have at least a "good" sub/sub defense game to even survive.

you guys....you're missing the point. Jiu-jitsu is the heart of Maia's game. It's his Ace, the same way striking is Silva's Ace, wrestling is Brock's or GSP's ace. THAT's what's rare. THAT's what's missing.

I don't think anybody cares who has a blackbelt if ninety percent of the time they focusing on GnPing someone or outboxing them. What Maia has is unique.

Is it just me or do all the SBG guys seem way too passive and accepting of being in bad positions on the ground? (McG vs Mendes, Lobov vs Hall, Gunnar vs Maia)? I guess in the latter two cases they had two very dangerous submission guys on top of them but they still seemed to lack the urgency to get away from a clearly losing position.

Can't really think of anyone at FW that corresponds to Maia tho (yeah I realize Hall is a FW - at most - but he's very fresh), so McGregor won't have that aspect tested for a while at least.

The ido portal shit theyre high on is just a glorified dance class for gullible hipsters. I'm a big fan of mobility training in general but McGregor is greatly overestimating the import of his new flavor of the month. None of it stopped artem or gunny from getting grapplefucked, and if Conor ever loses it will be because someone does the same thing to him too.

European fighters in general sometimes seem like they are allergic to seriously training their wrestling/neutral game, and will try to come up with any excuse or justification to avoid it, and it always costs them. No, doing two steps on the beach is not going to replace repping your sprawl a thousand times, and youed be foolish to think so.

4 out of the 5 UFC champs are bjj blackbelts. Bjj still holds a huge place in mma. That being said, all hail maia!!! He has said he wants to win fights without hurting his opponent, meaning he wants to solely use bjj-which is pretty much awesome.

Edit: Also, Im shocked at how many people think nates wrestling will be too much for maia. Did everyone forget that maia threw sonnen, an olympic level wrestler, onto his back??

The ido portal shit theyre high on is just a glorified dance class for gullible hipsters. I'm a big fan of mobility training in general but McGregor is greatly overestimating the import of his new flavor of the month. None of it stopped artem or gunny from getting grapplefucked, and if Conor ever loses it will be because someone does the same thing to him too.

Yeah that stuff seemed pretty goofy. I was honestly wondering if that was some kind of high level troll job having that guy featured in the embedded videos.Maybe I'm just closed minded and that stuff is the future, but I'd rather be doing the agility training you see in other sports like ladder footwork stuff, flow rolling, yoga etc. It's really weird seeing all of Connors training partners trying to copy him and failing

And I loved seeing all the single legs from demian. If he was on bottom half he immediately underhooked and came up on it, was running the pipe etc. Beautiful stuff

you guys....you're missing the point. Jiu-jitsu is the heart of Maia's game. It's his Ace, the same way striking is Silva's Ace, wrestling is Brock's or GSP's ace. THAT's what's rare. THAT's what's missing.

I don't think anybody cares who has a blackbelt if ninety percent of the time they focusing on GnPing someone or outboxing them. What Maia has is unique.

I get you and agree with you. Maia is my favorite fighter, and I think what he does is awesome. What I'm saying is if you don't have those submission skills, you won't get a chance to GNP anyone. That's why I care. I'm just pointing out that just because GSP and Machida aren't subbing people left and right like Maia, that doesn't mean that BJJ isn't a huge part of their success. If their submission game was full of holes, they wouldn't be nearly as effective.

Having said that, what Maia does is an art and legitimatly inspiring. I'm pulling for Sub of the Night this weekend.

yeah I was sold heavy on his wrestling when he threw Chael Sonnen like a sack of potatoes and Jon Fitch'd Jon Fitch for 3 rounds. I'd say if he could get the sub or tko a little more consistently that they'd give him a title shot faster. I doubt they want to put him in which is unfortunate. if he beats another top 5 guy I think he should get a shot. The thing is that he has so much control that I think he could take a few more risks and still stay very safe. Like when he went for the armbar from the back when that one round was closing out. That's what I mean. He's big on the leg weave to the mount. Maybe look for a choke or arm from there. Try going to KOB from the mount in the final minute just to look for an arm or the neck and throw some shots to get things moving.

He doesn't bore me at all but the ufc brass won't give him the title shot he wants (sadly) without a finish in his next fight. Even then maybe not.

Yeah but he finishes with a takedown, pass, mount, back, RNC.

This thread seems kinda gay, and I think Maia is going to lose, but I'm pulling for him big time, so I'll hop on the bandwagon.

I really think Maia is still improving. He has fixed so many holes the last couple years. Both his striking and wrestling has gotten a lot better, and he is actually striking from top position now.

I really think Maia is still improving. He has fixed so many holes the last couple years. Both his striking and wrestling has gotten a lot better, and he is actually striking from top position now.

Good point, his ground and pound was a lot more ferocious against Nelson than we've seen from him before

candlelights.jpg

Time for my daily devotion.

With enough positive will, and perhaps a few Marquardt voodoo dolls, we can do it.

May your chokes be tight, your armlocks quick, and your sweeps well-timed, Saint Maia.

Preach!

WAR MAIA!

I am talking about the dying breed of mat-sharks like Maia. Few people have jiu-jitsu as the HEART of their game. I think that's preeeeetty obvious. No need to play devil's advocate and sour up this thread. But someone's always got to be mister smarty pants.

Now I have to light another candle to clear the bad mojo. Let's keep the vibes clean from here on out, K.

By no means did I mean to sour the thread or bring the bad mojo. Merely stating that BJJ is actually still the heart of most MMA. It's almost like the foundation that EVERYONE must build off of.

Still, to keep the positive mojo flowing...

WAR MAIA!!

Back