Major nutritional developments in the past 4 years?

romistrub

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Milk and squats,

Yes, I know some of these are taboo, but has there been any definitive research in the context of performance been done in the areas of:

• fatty vs lean meat
  • red vs white meat
  • meat protein vs milk protein vs vegetable protein
  • fish oil supplements vs fatty fish
  • vitamin supplements vs leafy greens (or vitamin D3 supps vs sun time)
  • macronutrient priming and timing (this is a loaded one, I know)
  • bioavailability vs denaturing in food processing methods (e.g. fractioning, mechanical blending)
  • protein food-processing vs 24h net muscle-protein-synthesis (there's a technical term I'm forgetting here)
  • antinutrients, e.g. phytates, gluten, casein (?)
  • food pairing vs bioavailability
  • adaptogens

Have any studies been a source of significant dietary revision for you?

See the thread I started to post Alan Aragon's latest paper on macro nutrient timing.

I would say there has recently been a huge push in the literature against the use of fish oil supplementation, as well as a push against all polyunsaturated fats in the last four years - nothing that has come to drastically affect the world of nutrition though (yet, at least).

I feel like lots of the subjects you mentioned have been thoroughly covered in the literature over the last 20 years, to a point where we understand things very, very well. (supplementation vs. real food, vitamin d supp vs. sun, food pairings and bioavailability to an extent, etc).

can you elaborate more on the push against the supplementation of fish oil? I was not aware of this. I recently was thinking about getting more fish oil too since I ran out but I am debating a lot on which brand to get

Where is the research against fish oil supplementation?

Lipid peroxidation is one concern.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8911273
http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/1826131

A big concern is it's immunosuppressive function. It suppresses lymphocyte proliferation, and the secretion of both pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines, traits seen in disease states like Type 2 Diabetes and Crohn's Disease.

But the biggest concern, is that there has never been a long term study demonstrating it's efficacy in ANY population (especially normal healthy people), and the longest one to date on angina patients (which lasted 4 years) showed negative CV outcomes with n-3 supplementation.

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v57/n2/full/1601539a.html

One of the most significant changes in the past 4 years is the maturation of hormonal and endocrinological models for adiposity. While having roots German/Austrian research from the early to mid 20th century, it has really matured recently, with the magnum opus Good Calories Bad Calories. Controlling food intake which effects hormonal levels (refined carbohydrate) is now the standard approach of the Society of American Bariatric Physicians, the premier US authority on weight control.

One of the most significant changes in the past 4 years is the maturation of hormonal and endocrinological models for adiposity. While having roots German/Austrian research from the early to mid 20th century, it has really matured recently, with the magnum opus Good Calories Bad Calories. Controlling food intake which effects hormonal levels (refined carbohydrate) is now the standard approach of the Society of American Bariatric Physicians, the premier US authority on weight control.

tumblr_m86fo0ddiX1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

Taubes is a hack though and his ideas on hormones and the like are retarded.

They must know what they are talking about considering more than 1/3 of US adults are obese.

Yes - I claimed they were responsible for the US government's dietary guidelines since the 1970s. Totally.

And I tried to do a little digging on the society of American Bariatric Physicians website and couldn't really find info on dieting...anyway, do they say that you should restrict refined carbs because of how it effects your hormonal level, or because they are usually high in calories and easy to overeat? I have a feeling it is the latter.

The suggestion of Gary Taubes as a premier thinker in the field of nutrition makes me want to throw up and kill myself at the same time.

Someone bring me a rope.

Eating as many eggs as I want a day complete with yolks is actually good for me

And I tried to do a little digging on the society of American Bariatric Physicians website and couldn't really find info on dieting...anyway, do they say that you should restrict refined carbs because of how it effects your hormonal level, or because they are usually high in calories and easy to overeat? I have a feeling it is the latter.

Here's a former president talking about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ

Here's the president elect:
http://youtu.be/NImxgj2I4_M

The straw men in this forum are absolutely astonishing. I never said Taubes was a premeir thinker in anything - he's a researcher, not a medical doctor or health scientist. His book is a major maturation of the lipophilia to hormonal metabolism theory of the contemporary years which is what this thread is about. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back