Marc Goddards New Statement.

Marc Goddard

"The 1st round was progressing and passing without incident and subsequently my involvement. As the round drew to a close the 10 second warning sounded and that was heard and acknowledged by me. Soon after Charlie Ward connected with a left hand that slumped John Redmond to his knees. At this exact point I could not and had not made my determination that John was either out of the contest or not in the position to intelligently defend himself.

The punch and action that followed naturally resulted in a surge of crowd noise, one that was so significant I had already made my determination that I could not audibly hear the bell sound for the end of the round, I had made my decision to step in with the belief that bell had indeed been sounded, when in actual fact it had not. This is a critical fact to the ensuing proceedings.

At this point on my step in, and you will clearly see from the video replay that I only step across and do not wave the fight off. Charlie Ward, understandably so had reeled off in celebration thinking that I had indeed ended the contest and not as I had actually done, called time on what I believed to be the end of the round. Two distinctly different endings."

Goddard was actually trying to let that fight continue. He admits in his own statement that he did not hear the bell and panicked, stepping between the 2 fighters before the round was over. He stopped the fight, but wanted to let a KO'd fighter continue because he panicked 1 second before the bell, because of the crowd noise. That is his official statement.

So...

1) Goddard prematurely stepped in. (Panicked with a second left, but was not stopping the fight)

2) Goddard tried to reverse his own decision. (After stopping Ward with time left, fight is over)

3) Goddard tried to make Redmond continue. (Clearly done)

But obviously only a fool would think that's gonna change more than 1 or 2 opinions here on the incident. We all know this hatred is internal. No way you can watch that and say Redmond should have been allowed to continue. But him getting bumped into was enough to crucify Conor. What do you say to Goddard wanting to send him back into a fight?

Conor saved that mans life. I've never been more proud of Conor.

It doesn't, Conor was out of order being in the cage so quickly, but that and the push from Goddard explains the anger Conor showed.

This is the objective assessment that should be easy. If Goddard was mucking up the result and putting an obviously defeated fighter at risk, that is a logical explanation for Conor's anger after his initial excitement. Someone trying to push him off the top of the cage is not insignificant either.

Lol. How does this change any of what Conor did?

Conor has been getting slammed for

A) acting like a maniac
B) mucking up the result
C) endangering the safety of a fighter
D) initiating contact with Goddard

Evidently, he was only doing A, and Goddard was doing B, C, and D. By his own admission.

Okay but...you're still just some guy who breached security and jumped in the cage.

This is a comically naive interpretation. If they hold a basketball exhibition game(smaller org), at Lebron's high school(arena in Dublin), knowing that Lebron will be there as the "guest of honor" rooting for one team, and that team wins on a buzzer beater, and Lebron runs on the court to celebrate with them... security does not treat Lebron like "some guy running on the court".

You obviously did not read or understand what Goddard wrote. Try reading again real, real SLOW this time after taking Conor's weewee out of your mouth (obviously Conor's wee wee is blocking part of your vision).

This is what I expect

giphy.gif
db1b203e1bc4160020274bd1fa5a738d.gif

Another thread about this?

Saving and abandoning.
Great Scott! Dear mother of god!

Fantastic!

Conor was already separated from Charlie, and he pushed him. It's on tape, it's undeniable. He even used two arms to do it! This whole thing he made up, look he already told Charlie to go wait in the corner. It's very visible. So that's a lie!

Oh no! He pushed him!!!

Fucking pansy...

You really have to put your derp hat on to read that as Conor being right.

Umm, no. It was Conor McGregor, not just some guy. If some random guy jumped the cage he'd just get punched. McGregor get's special priveleges for what he's done with the sport. And rightfully so.

You sound like a typical bandwagon that cant think for yourself. I guess, he can take you in a back alley and do w/e he want with you right.?

Conor was wrong because he had absolutely no business being in the cage at all.

No. Goddard went to check with the time keeper before making an official call which is perfectly fine. He had not waved off the fight. He still had time to make an official decision while while the doctors checked on Redmond. He went to check on the injured fighter, who he in no way coerced into continuing, when Conor went ballistic.

Conor still had no business being in the cage, no reason to start a scene, no reason to do it a second time, and no reason to strike an official.
This is correct. OP is a sad little boy.

Lol. How does this change any of what Conor did?
Exactly.

Goddard hadn't called off the fight. He had to do so.

He stepped in because he couldn't hear the bell over the noise and he couldn't let them "just keep fighting forever" - he had no other choice but to estimate when it was over.

He had to observe the fighter during the break between rounds and see if he was fit to continue. I don't know where TS got that he "tried to make him fight" - he ascertained that he could not continue

And he called off the fight between rounds

His point was that Conor does NOT get to enter the cage PRIOR to him doing these things and ending the fight.

If you think a fight should be stopped and it's not, you DO NOT GET TO CLIMB INTO THE CAGE AND FIGHT THE REF! You have to give him time to decide if it continues or not. This is the commission's job and is not in any way part of Conor's responsibilities.

The idea that some are making it seem like Conor was right to climb in there since Marc didn't know IMMEDIATELY if the fighter could continue or not..... the idea is dead wrong.

Sherdog - Conor is NOT allowed in the cage while the fight is not called off, even if he:

1) dislikes the ref
2) dislikes the ref's decisions
3) is high as fuck on coke
4) is trying to find a way to not have to defend his "belt"

Last edited:
Conor was wrong because he had absolutely no business being in the cage at all.

Yes he did. He thought his buddy won the fight. So he had business in the cage. He didn't know that Goddard made a mistake and stopped it early.

Back