Martial art: a real life example

I do agree to this point to a certain level. The part i think would work most from Karate, as you mentioned, is being elusive. would you focus on the punching or would you include kicks?
Not surprised to receive a great answer from someone <2010 join date...
difficult to kick depending on the pants you're wearing. front kick is always viable, side kick to the knee aswell

I do agree to this point to a certain level. The part i think would work most from Karate, as you mentioned, is being elusive. would you focus on the punching or would you include kicks?
Not surprised to receive a great answer from someone <2010 join date...
Thanks. Would definitely focus on punches, esp. kizami-zuki (jab), keeping distance and positioning myself such as to have them all facing me (to not get flanked). And GTFO as soon as possible! :D

Boxing is about the best but realistically, if you're up against multiple attackers who are determined to hurt you and who won't be deterred if manage to put one or two of them down then you are fucked, no matter who you are.

It depends on who the wrestler is, but let's say the average college wrestler, i believe that a young athlete properly trained would simply throw or manhandle everybody in the video.
It isn't just about getting the takedown, a wrestler is a brute with brute force and a punch from a guy like that would hurt a lot.

This is a former olympic champion in greco roman, was probably drunk, but the police had not an easy time putting him under arrest.

Fair enough but as you mentioned this was a former olympic champion.
Let's imagine Mike Tyson punching those people in my video instead of the random boxer. They'd end on the other side of the city right? Do you agree with that?

Thanks. Would definitely focus on punches, esp. kizami-zuki (jab), keeping distance and positioning myself such as to have them all facing me (to not get flanked). And GTFO as soon as possible! :D

You see, i've been around this site for a while, cause i knew there were reasonable person. Thanks for sharing your educated and meaningful opinion. When i wrote this, i was thinking that something elusive, with quick, precise and not compromising strikes would succeed, i thought about boxing and karate.

We might have a noob here. A generic answer like "krav maga" puts you in a bad spot. This is a real life situation, punching the troath sounds cool and might work in an instructional video for the israeli defense, but then again, a puncher is probably better at that than a soldier from Tel Aviv.
I said its designed for that king of thing, which it is. I watched the Fight Quest episode on it and i can see the practical qualities in a altercation on the street.
Throat strikes, heabutts, eye pokes, groin strikes, hair pulling etc do work which is why they are all banned in all combat sports.
the best way is to create distance/space and use elite cardo to outrun the assailants tbh, even if you are a legit boxer/blackbelt etc it only take one dude to shoot on you and grab you, he does not even need to get the take down because you are the going to get jumped on and kicked in.

Boxing is about the best but realistically, if you're up against multiple attackers who are determined to hurt you and who won't be deterred if manage to put one or two of them down then you are fucked, no matter who you are.

Fair enough. But if you had to choose an option to save yourself from that scenario, a striking art with focus on elusive puncing would be kind of better than bjj or wrestling as you said.

difficult to kick depending on the pants you're wearing. front kick is always viable, side kick to the knee aswell

good point, really. The only thing that worries me regarding kicks here is the positioning and timing required.
If i compare the risk/result ratio a punch sounds like a better option. what do you think?

Jkd, what Bruce Lee did whom be pretty effective against multiple people if done correctly

Myth.

The best record track against multiple attackers is boxing.

Best advice is run.

ok, do you mind providing a sequence as to how he would do it?
Cause i could say "Mike Tyson" but it would make sense to provide a sequence to explain the answer.

JKD only works well against multiple attackers in the movies.

His name is Nuh Demircan , he identifies hismelf as a boxer:

Nuh Demircan

you seem like an honest student of the game and i appreciate your answers. At first look i would agree on the kick part, but there is a bit BUT. Kicking put you on one foot. It takes quite a long time as well and can't be down while effectively moving backward and if you do so you are losing precious time to think about the next opponent.
As to the ties part, this guy was able to move backward (avoid the being tied part) and fight back. If one ties you doesn't work if you punch them, walk back, focus on the next opponent.
Im really interested in your opinion: how would a grappler deal with that situation?

thanks for sharing your educated opinion.

Thanks for kind words and educated answer.
I would agree that kicking leaves you unbalanced and you have to be carefull with that on the street.
But you can use calf low kicks and oblique kicks ( not roundhouse or high kick movie crap),
which leaves you minimum time unblalnced, are quick and limits attackers mobility ( and it's more
powerfull, since you wear shoes).

Here, the boxer had a "gift" sitatuation : buch of overly agressive dudes, swinging for the fences with punches, showing each others, perfect targets.
Problem with pure boxing is that a boxer is not ready for kicks, their distance and defence for them.
And no grappling defence.

So i suppose you have to use hands primarely, but also know how to kick, defend a kick and
defend grappling.
So stlyles that include goodm movement and these elements should work.

It depends on who the wrestler is, but let's say the average college wrestler, i believe that a young athlete properly trained would simply throw or manhandle everybody in the video.
It isn't just about getting the takedown, a wrestler is a brute with brute force and a punch from a guy like that would hurt a lot.

This is a former olympic champion in greco roman, was probably drunk, but the police had not an easy time putting him under arrest.

This guy is narly as fuck. Something about eastern european they are fucking crazy over there. ***it took like, what , 6 officers to take him down?

I said its designed for that king of thing, which it is. I watched the Fight Quest episode on it and i can see the practical qualities in a altercation on the street.
Throat strikes, heabutts, eye pokes, groin strikes, hair pulling etc do work which is why they are all banned in all combat sports.
the best way is to create distance/space and use elite cardo to outrun the assailants tbh, even if you are a legit boxer/blackbelt etc it only take one dude to shoot on you and grab you, he does not even need to get the take down because you are the going to get jumped on and kicked in.

Throat strikes= a boxer can punch the troath with maximum power and speed, while moving away and focusing on the next opponent better than a krav maga practitioner.

Headbutt: too close, someone might actually grab you while you do it, 1 vs x, if you get grabbed, you're done.

Eye pokes: a punch is more effective.

Groing strikes: requires closer distance, can't put the max power, very difficult to achieve.

Hair pulling= meh.

Cardio= boxer are pretty famous for it. An old Floyd kinda proved it :)

the rest you make a good point, similar to my initial one. Best way is to avoid any contact and fire backs, real life scenario quoted in the video is a good proof of an effective way of doing it.

Thanks for kind words and educated answer.
I would agree that kicking leaves you unbalanced and you have to be carefull with that on the street.
But you can use calf low kicks and oblique kicks ( not roundhouse or high kick movie crap),
which leaves you minimum time unblalnced, are quick and limits attackers mobility ( and it's more
powerfull, since you wear shoes).

Here, the boxer had a "gift" sitatuation : buch of overly agressive dudes, swinging for the fences with punches, showing each others, perfect targets.
Problem with pure boxing is that a boxer is not ready for kicks, their distance and defence for them.
And no grappling defence.

So i suppose you have to use hands primarely, but also know how to kick, defend a kick and
defend grappling.
So stlyles that include goodm movement and these elements should work.

Great points, i mean it. I would agree, especially on the calf and oblique low kicks as they minimize the unbalance and reaction time. Thanks for chipping in.

good point, really. The only thing that worries me regarding kicks here is the positioning and timing required.
If i compare the risk/result ratio a punch sounds like a better option. what do you think?
yeah agreed

@porcodio having a wrestling/judo skills is really good if you want to avoid being taken to ground, by the way. try taking down a decent wrestler/judoka if you have zero experience

@porcodio having a wrestling/judo skills is really good if you want to avoid being taken to ground, by the way. try taking down a decent wrestler/judoka if you have zero experience

Mate i honestly agree with that. I believe grappling is a beautiful art and it is worth a life time of efforts, on top of being really useful for some specific scenario
Just trying to figure out the best realistic answer to a determined scenario.
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Moved to mayberry lounge because talking about martial arts effectiveness in real life situation is so uncool...

JKD only works well against multiple attackers in the movies.

In the movies or if you watch TMA bullshido demos like in Wing Chun then the 'multiple' attackers always conveniently attack one at a time and of course, they aren't even actually fighting, it's all fake. When in reality what would likely happen is they all just pile in on you at the same time, you get overwhelmed and end up on the floor where you get the shit kicked out of you.

In a street fight it's not about classic takedowns.
F.E. if there a 4 attackers, one ties an arm, second hugs the leg,
other two just punch and kick.
Really hard to do smth in that sitauation even being an experinced grappler.

It's more about not letting to get a hold of you in this situation.
Stick and move, sprawl and brawl.

Back