Maryland to build low income housing in prosperous area after law suit

TheFirstEMP

Overdone and dry!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.citypaper.com/blogs/the-...500-new-low-income-family-20171003-story.html

Affordable housing for the poor has long remained elusive in the Baltimore region’s most prosperous communities—and under pressure from fair housing advocates, Maryland’s housing department just took a step toward changing that.

On September 20, the Maryland Board of Public Works approved $225,000 to settle a six-year-old discrimination complaint against the state’s Department of Housing and Community Development. Under the so-called “Voluntary Compliance Agreement and Conciliation Agreement,” the state agrees to help finance development of at least 1,500 low-income housing units across Baltimore City and Harford, Howard, Carroll, Anne Arundel, and Baltimore counties.

The settlement restricts those units to communities with low crime, minimal poverty, and highly-ranked schools.

Spreading the wealth. Can’t have a Baltimore that’s not 100% infected.

Not politically correct but no one wants to live next to housing commission people, even the housing commission people don't. Who can blame them when their personal standards are generally so low and their expectations on entitlement so high. You need a lot of water to make shit drinkable but a drop of shit makes a large amount of water worthless.

That plan will only drag down the good areas not lift up the poor.

It will kill the property values of the areas they build in, but that's the idea.

It will kill the property values of the areas they build in, but that's the idea.

pretty much.

Then they will gentrify the bad areas, forcing the low-income people out to make room for richer folks.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

It's all a political shell game.

Sign a 25 year mortgage, pop a bottle of champaign to celebrate. Then read the news off of the wire to your new wife who's 4 months pregnant. What a day!

Move to a small town without public transportation or welfare offices

It will also speed up gentrification of areas private owned/rented by low income persons who cannot manage property price increases.

But, overall, this is good. Sure, some may leave the area altogether, but others will stay and others will move to neighboring non-affluent areas and, with proper rent control legislation, diversify property wealth.

I see this as certainly a one step back, but two steps forward type of deal.

But, on a related note, public housing needs to be reformed away from austere policies that devalue the living situations of those in them. Data has shown that building actual modest houses that allow owners to feel a sovereign sense of pride in their properties yields better returns on (slightly higher, to be sure) investment.

It will also speed up gentrification of areas private owned/rented by low income persons who cannot manage property price increases.

But, overall, this is good. Sure, some may leave the area altogether, but others will stay and others will move to neighboring non-affluent areas and, with proper rent control legislation, diversify property wealth.

But, on a related note, public housing needs to be reformed away from austere policies that devalue the living situations of those in them. Data has shown that building actual modest houses that allow owners to feel a sovereign sense of pride in their properties yields better returns on (slightly higher, to be sure) investment.
Lol

Link of this said data?

I wish they would do that shit out here in SD. It would be great for the lulz if nothing else. I live in a shady area already so I don't give a fug.

I really would love to see the reaction from compassionate liberals though. They should do this in some wealthy LA neighborhoods too. They're racist if they don't do it, in fact.

http://www.linesbetweenus.org/seeing-inequality/fair-housing-official-map.html

pubhousingpoverty.png

Fair Housing: The Official Map
Monday, September 16, 2013

Locations of public housing in Baltimore overlaid by what HUD defines as "Racially/Ethnically-Concentrated Areas of Poverty" (in red). Are they fairly distributed? Or too closely packed into poor, minority neighborhoods?
Is your region doing enough to ensure fair housing? Now the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has a data map to help you find the answer.

The Fair Housing Act requires jurisdictions to "affirmatively further" fair housing, and HUD can withhold federal funding if they don't. How can you tell? Well, jurisdictions have to do an "analysis of impediments" to fair housing. (Here in the Baltimore area, we even have a regional "A.I." report.)

Tomorrow, Sept. 17, is the deadline for public comment on a new HUD rule clarifying what jurisdictions need to do.

To help jurisdictions, HUD has created an interactive fair housing data map (or, if you want to use their jargon, "Prototype Geospatial Tool"). Here's how to use it, and more about the "affirmatively furthering" rule behind it.

The map starts with Chicago; just zoom out and pan over to see Baltimore. You can see the concentration of housing choice vouchers, public housing, all overlaid by poverty, race, job access, transit access, and other factors. Above right, we've overlaid the location of public housing on what HUD defines as "Racially/Ethnically-Concentrated Areas of Poverty" (in red).

How does the data in these maps compare to the Lines Between Us maps? Take a look.

And put your two cents in about the new HUD rule.

Main menu
Funding Partners

I can only imagine my childhood neighborhood being transported into the rich part of town. Bunch of black kids being raised by their grandmothers.

Funny thing is my old babysitter is in the same area nowadays and it hasn't changed in 25 years.

What are the stats on property values after these inclusionary zoning policies are put into place?

Also, what are the stats on affluent people leaving the area. One thing to have the government provide handouts for these people, it's another to damage property values and forcing top tier tax payers away -- which in turn burns up local and state revenue.

Just seems like Baltimore already went through white flight in the 60's that decimated the city and would've like to avoid a resurgence of that. Guess the progress train didn't take that into account

Last edited:
I was about to post "lmao", but @Trotsky did mention a "data", so I'll be polite and have my mind blown.

Wait a smidge. It was talked about in a local news story. They did this in a rural county east of STL several years ago where they basically built little cul de sacs adjacent to the housing projects . I'll hit up the google. To be clear, it's subsidized housing, as opposed to public housing, but it's very heavily subsidized.

inb4 any white person moving from that area is labeled racist

Wait a smidge. It was talked about in a local news story. They did this in a rural county east of STL several years ago where they basically built little cul de sacs adjacent to the housing projects . I'll hit up the google. To be clear, it's subsidized housing, as opposed to public housing, but it's very heavily subsidized.
Don't bother. What's the demographic like in rural stl? Heavily subsidized? That doesn't good at all, imo.

Back