• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Masvidal was winning the fight before the KO

It was a lucky punch .. if the knee was lucky then the punch was too .. everyone would have been KO by that shot .. not a true indicator of the fight .. in fact Jorge was doing excellent in the first round .. especially his striking and wrestling
No such thing as a lucky punch.

Usman beats Jorge everytime.

I agree he won round 1. Most people have Usman that round though. Doesn’t really matter because jorge won round 1 in their short notice fight too. Bottom line is he’s 0-2.

He had the cleaner, crisper shots , better footwork / head movement And better control of the ring

I gave him round 1 and 2 up to the lucky knockout .
A third match is needed to settle this, because Jorge actually looked better than usman
Lmaoo what the hell were you watching?

He was way too cocky and over confident. Usman has hands now.
Usman always had hands. Poor tekkers was his bane.

What's wild is this was the exact same way that Rodrigo Damm KOd Masvidal 13 years ago.

Masvidal broke so many cardinal rules it would have been a travesty if he didn't get knocked the fuck out. Usman tagged him with lead hands in the middle of the ring, I remember two shots that hit him and instead of making adjustments he was making shit faced grins and displaying false bravado perhaps to please his fanboys and live up to his persona

There are levels to this

Usman was landing the cleaner and harder shots... clearly snapped Jorge's head back multiple times.

MMA Junkie gives the first to Usman, 10-9.
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/list...ade-weili-namajunas-play-by-play-live-results

SHERDOG SCORES
Jay Pettry scores the round: 10-9 Usman
Scottie Smith scores the round: 10-9 Usman
Tristen Critchfield scores the round: 10-9 Usman
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/U...nd-Scoring-178923#kamaru-usman-jorge-masvidal

Bloodyelbow
10-9 Usman.
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/4/...eam-results-discussion-play-by-play-mma-event

MMAmania
10-9 Usman.
https://www.mmamania.com/2021/4/23/...vidal-2-play-by-play-updates-jacksonville-mma
Lol Usman scored a takedown and landed the harder shots. Crazy that you have some dweebs who believe Masvidal won the first round

ya good fight for usman. my points on the fight are:

1) i felt mas overlooked usman's striking when preparing for the fight. i think his gameplan was not just to get the finish but to defend usman's grappling/td's and pushing up against the fence...in some ways mas overlooked that usman would come into this fight differently.

2) i felt mas having a proper training camp benefited, however him toying around left many openings for any fighter for that matter to connect. as a professional fighter you should know toying or mocking your opponent can cost you if you are not careful. my point here is usman's mission was all business and to win the fight, where mas seemed to be playing more and less serious.

3) when usman connected he basically put everything he had into that straight right, he lunged forward almost losing his balance as he followed through with that punch, it was a clear opening as mas left hand was down way too low, mas wasn't even protecting himself with his hands up.

i'm sure usman and his team studied the tapes and knew mas' habits, had mas actually had his hands up and blocked or absorbed the strike then maybe this fight would've went longer but based on how the fight was going it was only a matter of time before usman connected with strike like that.

4) the only similarity that usman has with gsp is that both fighters who were champions were very well rounded with a strong wrestling base while being able to mix it up well.

just like woodley was the next big thing for the ww division, once they defend 1 or 2 times they begin to have goat status thrown around. hendricks, lawler, woodley, now usman.

usman is now tied with woodley for title defenses (4), he needs one more to tie matt hughes (5)....then usman needs 4 more in a row to match gsp (9).

lets be realistic, compared to usman gsp has better striking, he may not have as much power but in comparison gsp's striking would be more on point and technical than usman's.

gsp had no wrestling background like usman does, and was still out wrestling opponents who did.

gsp also has better bjj than usman.

Basically usman is similar in the way he's well balanced and uses different tools to win the fight, not talking about finishes but more specifically mixing it up. usman mixes it up better than all the other ww's very similar to how gsp fought.....so really usman is only copying what gsp brought to the table and in some ways is using gsp's winning blueprint.

I take nothing away from usman i think he's a great fighter and on his way to solidifying himself as one of the goat ww's but in order to contend with gsp he would need to hit 9 in a row to match the record....also if usman keeps defending against the same opponents has he fought mas twice now, some fans may argue that gsp's defenses were all new challengers.
Woodley had 3 defenses

Usman won a competitive 1st rd, Usman won 10-9. It wasn't a bad or horrible rd for Mas but Usman did enough to win it. 2nd rd we all saw what happened

Usman had mas on the ground for a long ass time while mas shrimped his way from center of the octagon to cage to wall walk his way back up to his feet, and mas was ripping elbows on top of usmans head and striking and usman wasn't landing any clean shots. Mas legitimately outlander usman like 4 to 1 on the ground for like 40 hits. Usman landed a nice 1-2 that almost buckled mas near the end of rd 1 but mas landed more shots on the feet also so I say Mas won round 1 and it wasn't that close unless you give a ton of scoring weight to the takedown even though he was outstruck in mas guard and the power 1-2 versus the entire rest of the round.

Woodley had 3 defenses

he had 4 defenses, check your info.

he beat lawler for the vacant ww belt and became the official ww champion. he fought thompson twice, fought maia, then till that's 4 defenses. after till he fought usman and lost the ww belt. His first defense against thompson was a draw, but it was still a title defense.

Back