Matching Up Paddy Pimblett

McKinney. Tko 1st round

Paddy won’t blow up in between fights bc his jaw will be wired shut and drinking through a straw for 6-8 weeks.

Benoit St. Denis. England v France fun in London.

Paddy gets to say all sorts of hilarious stuff in the build up like "garlic breath man" and his Inbetweener fans will love it.

Fight might even be half decent too. Half of England will cheer on Benoit.

The fight to make for Paddy is Tony Ferguson. Absolute no-brainer. Tony is a corpse with a name and someone that Paddy would likely beat. From a company perspective, every other fight out there is higher risk and lower reward.

Looking at the entirety of the UFC Light Weight Division (and rankings), who do you see the UFC matching Paddy Pimblett up with next (and/or who would you match him up with?)

I used Ranking MMA for this exercise: https://rankingmma.com/ufc-rankings/lightweight/

1-15
View attachment 958910

16-30 (*Paddy ranked #23 here)
View attachment 958911

31-45
View attachment 958912

46-60
View attachment 958913

61-68
View attachment 958914

Injured/Inactive
View attachment 958915

Dober

Conor would have been ideal but he only wants WW.

I actually think Bobby Green might be next for him. Bobby is good at losing decisions. If Paddy can beat Bobby then he deserved ranked next, likewise if Bobby beats Paddy he deserves another run at ranked opponents.

Would be a good fight they both have a shot of winning and gives Paddy a "name" to fight.

People who say Dober, I don't think it will happen after the loss. That is too risky for Paddy with little upside after Dober just lost.

Dober just won sir, he kod Bobby Green.

Don't rankings get updated tomorrow? If so, might invalidate what I'm about to say, but...

Paddy -- technically speaking -- is on a four-fight win streak right now. If he were any other up-and-comer in the same spot, everyone would be fully expecting him to either fight a ranked opponent or at the very least fight one of the guys in the Top 20/Top 25. Someone like Kutateladze, Moises, Dober, Green, Alvarez, Gillespie, Riddell, CDF, Klose, etc. The types of dudes who are only one or two good wins away from getting into the rankings themselves (or back into the rankings in some cases).

The way I see it, the UFC has two paths here.

1.) They can slow their roll and book him against a step down in competition while allowing him to headline or co-headline the upcoming London card against a very winnable opponent. This would be, in my mind, more or less a tacit admission on their part that they believe he lost to Gordon and that his ceiling is not as high as they (and his fans) hoped. You can't be 4-0 and go from fighting Jared Gordon to headlining against, say... Trey Ogden, Natan Levy, etc. At best if they go this route they'll give him someone along the lines of Mike Davis, Ludovit Klein, Clay Guida, Mike Trizano, or Claudio Puelles who -- while challenging -- are largely hit-or-miss names that are ranked lower in the global Lightweight standings and present more winnable fights for Paddy.

2.) The UFC can decide to strike while the iron is hot and use this opportunity to get Paddy into the rankings right now while they and their golden boy have a chance... by having him take the big spot in London against none other than El Cucuy. Tony is #15 at the moment and won't be there for long given recent "trends" in the man's career and in the division. Ferguson is the only remotely favorable match-up for Paddy in the Top 15 and even then I don't consider Pimblett some overwhelming 5-to-1 favorite against Ferguson or anything. But soon Tony will fall out of the rankings and further into obscurity and he'll be replaced in that #15 slot by some killer like Dober or Guram who Paddy has exceedingly little chance of beating.

Not sure which route they'll go.

Back