Mayra Silva Goes From “No One Wants to Watch My Fight” to Saying Her Fight Is Helping Sell the Strickland/DDP Fight

Wormwood

Rest in Peace BWR
@Black
Reaction score
I recently posted an article where Mayra admitted her fight with Raquel isn’t the most fan friendly fight on paper. She recently went on to respond to some typical Strickland banter/insults.

Mayra’s response to Strickland saying he was called to be on the Canada card to boost sales due to Mayra/Raquel being considered as the headliner:

“Look, on paper, my fight with Raquel is not a good fight,” Bueno Silva told ESPN. “But on paper, Sean Strickland and Dricus Du Plessis is a good fight? No. Sean talks too much. He thinks he is a big star, but he is not a big star. I believe my fight and Sean’s fight, one helps the other.

On paper, two bad fights for fans. But when we enter the octagon, I do a good fight and Du Plessis does good fights, too. I don’t watch good fights from Sean Strickland. I don’t remember a good fight.”

Well… I do remember a recent fight Sean did ok… maybe got a small prize or something from winning.

I get Mayra was offended by Sean, but don’t think that was a good rebuttal. Plenty of material out there right now to go after Sean (she could message DDP for some ideas)… saying his fight with DDP is equivalent to her fight with Raquel is not one of them.

They ought to can her fight on Sean’s card and put her on a fight night.
I’m sure it fans lost the Strickland/DDP fight on the card there would be quite a bit of a backlash. If the card lost Silva/Pennington I’m guessing a lot less.. a lot.

Many fun ways Mayra could have responded that probably would have got to Sean…

Come on man that level of lying and opportunism is needed to milk it for her.

Lol honestly, the Strickland comments aside, the rest that was said before about her admitting no one wanted to watch her fight made me like her more and I hope she gets the nod against Pennington still.

Lol honestly, the Strickland comments aside, the rest that was said before about her admitting no one wanted to watch her fight made me like her more and I hope she gets the nod against Pennington still.
Her original comment about that was respectable and self aware.. too bad she had to follow up with the Strickland comment. Kinda diminished her initial display of honesty.

What an attitude from the Brazilian nobody. Not one casual will have any idea who she is, and she sells approximately 10 PPV 'buys' and that's just gonna be her family and a few friends. (if they even have PPV buys in Brazil not sure- might be just a TV package as in several Latino countries)).
Sorry Mayra but Du Plessis vs Strickland is a great match-up, excitement basically guaranteed.

Respect to Pennington but she is ageing these days and a bit of a plodding fighter, there is unlikely to be jumping switch kicks or spinning wheel kicks from Rocky.

She popped for her last fight, and was suspended. The NSAC overturned her win to a NC. But she still got credit for the win over Holly in the rankings.

And now she’s talking shit. It’s pretty off putting, imo. Nobody knows who the fuck she is at this point. And now she’s talking too much. She hasn’t done anything yet. She does have a good chance of beating Rocky. Personally I’m cheering for Rocky, though.

she's not wrong in saying strickland think he's a big star but he's not, and she isn't wrong either when she imply he's boring but du plessis is a must watch
that ppv will do low numbers anyway, you remove either one of the title fight and the numbers would probably not change much, no casuals is buying this one

such a huge drop off from Nunes to these two. Women's straw and fly weight have all the talent.
WBW was always trash. The UFC better pray Mayra wins because you could argue she's improved and better than she actually is. Pennington has been at it so long we all know if she wins she's living in a huge shadow of Nunes. The UFC should forget the Grasso Valentina rematch and beg Valentina to move up because if she doesn't there is going to be a lot of instability in this division. Both fighters I could see losing to anyone in the top 10 and there is no one I would be confident at defending the belt. They don't really have any prospects either. Everyone ranked has been in the division for a while and again can win or lose on any given night. Props to Mayra for pulling off the Holm win but in a rematch I wouldn't be confident she'd win again.

She said 3 things in this statement:

1. 'Look, on paper my fight with Raquel is not a good fight' - Accurate

2. '[Strickland] thinks he is a big a star but he is not a big star' - Accurate

3. 'I believe my fight and Sean's fight one helps the other' - a stretch but not completely without basis. The UFC loves marketing the 'Two title fights on one card!!!!' angle and it may convince a couple of extra simps to watch.

Anyway as the song goes, two out of three ain't bad. And arguably it was three. Far more admirably honest than you will get from most fighters.

Just for admitting nobody cares about her fight, whoever this Marya is, she is my new favorite WMMA fighter.

Her original comment about that was respectable and self aware.. too bad she had to follow up with the Strickland comment. Kinda diminished her initial display of honesty.

What did she say that was fundamentally 'dishonest'?

Nothing she said was definitively inaccurate. Just by virtue of having another title fight on the card - whatever it is - U Fight Cheap will probably move a few more buys than Strickland-DDP alone. Not many, but a few. A bit misleading at worst.

Strickland is not going to let you lick his balls just because you got upset by some broad making the accurate assessment that he is not some big star.

she's not wrong in saying strickland think he's a big star but he's not, and she isn't wrong either when she imply he's boring but du plessis is a must watch
that ppv will do low numbers anyway, you remove either one of the title fight and the numbers would probably not change much, no casuals is buying this one
She might not be wrong in those comments, but I’m pretty certain the majority of fans attending the event and spending money to purchase the ppv are anticipating the DDP/Strickland fight to a much higher degree than Silva vs Pennington… Whatever percentage she thinks her fight is helping to Strickland sell his fight, I’m guessing it’s incomparable to how much Strickland is actually helping Silva sell her fight.

She said 3 things in this statement:

1. 'Look, on paper my fight with Raquel is not a good fight' - Accurate

2. '[Strickland] thinks he is a big a star but he is not a big star' - Accurate

3. 'I believe my fight and Sean's fight one helps the other' - a stretch but not completely without basis. The UFC loves marketing the 'Two title fights on one card!!!!' angle and it may convince a couple of extra simps to watch.

Anyway as the song goes, two out of three ain't bad. And arguably it was three. Far more admirably honest than you will get from most fighters.

Just for admitting nobody cares about her fight, whoever this Marya is, she is my new favorite WMMA fighter.
Fair assessment.

Back