• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mayweather vs Maidana 2 RBR

Textbook is to order the fighters to break/fight out of it.. and penalize them if they do not.. not physically push them back every time they clinch

And you can show me where it says this in the rules? I bet you can't.

You are wrong. When a fighter doesn't have his arms free or if there is a lack of action, you break the clinch and separate the fighters. Watch any boxing match with a clinch ever.

And you can show me where it says this in the rules? I bet you can't.

You are wrong. When a fighter doesn't have his arms free or if there is a lack of action, you break the clinch and separate the fighters. Watch any boxing match with a clinch ever.

There was still action during more than half of those breaks... and you can't show me where it says your version of the rules is correct.. I can show you times that people have been penalized for excessive clinching though.. The ref is supposed to verbally tell you to fight out of it..not reward you for being a lazy pussy that just wants a free reset

Ug, I tend to read only at this forum, but too many people don't understand clinching in boxing. If you attempt to clinch, and the opponent is not resistant, meaning, he doesn't attempt to struggle/punch with the free arm, the referee can, and should call for a break and reset the distance. In this case, Bayless reset them like feet apart, not across the goddamn ring. Grow the f*ck up. If Maidana would have punched with his free hand, cut angles, made space and tried to actually in-box, he would have stalled the break call. As it is, he instead gave up, or was wrapped up quickly, (this is a skill, it's hard to wrap up an opponent that is actively try to take your hear off) and the break was called. Frankly, I don't know what else you'd expect Floyd to do. Sit in the pocket and trade with a heavy handed banger who is constantly holding and hitting, and punching to the back of the head/neck? Or engaging in short range counter punching, then initiating a clinch? The clinch worked, Maidana didn't particularly do much about it. He's gotta work in there.

There's a threshold, you'll hear some refs tell you to "punch your way out" prior to the full clinch setting in. Once this happens, the fighters have to be broken up. That's how it works.

Last edited:
There was still action during more than half of those breaks... and you can't show me where it says your version of the rules is correct.. I can show you times that people have been penalized for excessive clinching though.. The ref is supposed to verbally tell you to fight out of it..not reward you for being a lazy pussy that just wants a free reset

what fights have people have a had point taken away,cause I can name a few where there was NO point taken away. Marcos/Devon, Khan/Marcos,Jones/Ruiz,etc..

The only fight I can really come up with is Kirkland vs Molina and no way Floyd held as much and Molina in that fight.

Ug, I tend to read only at this forum, but too many people don't understand clenching in boxing. If you attempt to clench, and the opponent is not resistant, meaning, he doesn't attempt to struggle/punch with the free arm, the referee can, and should call for a break and reset the distance. In this case, Bayless reset them like feet apart, not across the goddamn ring. Grow the f*ck up. If Maidana would have punched with his free hand, cut angles, made space and tried to actually in-box, he would have stalled the break call. As it is, he instead gave up, or was wrapped up quickly, (this is a skill, it's hard to wrap up an opponent that is actively try to take your hear off) and the break was called. Frankly, I don't know what else you'd expect Floyd to do. Sit in the pocket and trade with a heavy handed banger who is constantly holding and hitting, and punching to the back of the head/neck? Or engaging in short range counter punching, then initiating a clench? The clench worked, Maidana didn't particularly do much about it. He's gotta work in there.

Fuck you dude...

He reset them 5-6 feet apart.. and broke the fighters many times when Maidana was resisting the clinch..

I'd expect Floyd to use his legal tools to get off the ropes.. he does it when he wants to.. he just finds it easier to have the ref do it for him

Not take a point from Maidana, as Mayweather was illegally holding when Maidana was trying to push him off.

I don't think a point deduction was necessary, but it wasn't like that point made the difference in the fight.

Skimmed through a lot of this and sounds like another MMA v Boxing shitfight for some reason. I love both sports, probably watch more MMA these days but have watched boxing since I was a kid, I'm glad both sports are around.

Anyway maybe Floyd's clinching wasn't the most exciting way to fight for some people but it seemed absolutely the right strategy. I love watching him fight anyway, he's a master. And yeah still wouldn't be counting on a Floyd Pac fight, he didn't say it wouldn't happen but he wasn't jumping at the chance that's for sure.

Okay..we're getting somewhere.. now why is the fighter in the clinch? Oh.. Floyd grabbed him to stop the action? okay.. floyd gets a warning.. oh he did it again?...

that's how it's supposed to work...it's a trade off.. You can stop the action at your own risk...

But both fighters were wrapping up in there. You seem to have not noticed this. As early as the first round.

Not only that but Maidana is coming in smothering, the reason for the break is already there. when they clinch inside close, like when they have their chins on each others shoulders, you can't punch there. There's no legal shot. You either hit the back of the head or the kidneys. That is the position they were in for much of the fight.

I'm looking at some of it now and thats exactly why it was being broken. You say let them "fight out of it." How? By punching the back of the head or kidneys?

what fights have people have a had point taken away,cause I can name a few where there was NO point taken away. Marcos/Devon, Khan/Marcos,Jones/Ruiz,etc..

The only fight I can really come up with is Kirkland vs Molina and no way Floyd held as much and Molina in that fight.

Akindwande vs. Lewis was ended because of excessive holding... Berto vs. Collazo if memory serves... I know Lewis should have received many point deductions for it..

I just finished reading some of the comments on Youtube and damn! Some people really hate Mayweather lol. Like with a passion (mainly Latinos and Filipinos). Crying about Mayweathers promise of a knockout. Mayweather is there to win not to fight the way you want him to fight.

I was actually laughing at some of the comments. Some of the people had no clue about what they were saying they were just annoyed that Maidana didn't do as well as he did in the first fight.

Actually Bernstein even said exactly what I just said when Paulie was trying to make a similar argument to yours Cracky.

Ug, I tend to read only at this forum, but too many people don't understand clenching in boxing. If you attempt to clench, and the opponent is not resistant, meaning, he doesn't attempt to struggle/punch with the free arm, the referee can, and should call for a break and reset the distance. In this case, Bayless reset them like feet apart, not across the goddamn ring. Grow the f*ck up. If Maidana would have punched with his free hand, cut angles, made space and tried to actually in-box, he would have stalled the break call. As it is, he instead gave up, or was wrapped up quickly, (this is a skill, it's hard to wrap up an opponent that is actively try to take your hear off) and the break was called. Frankly, I don't know what else you'd expect Floyd to do. Sit in the pocket and trade with a heavy handed banger who is constantly holding and hitting, and punching to the back of the head/neck? Or engaging in short range counter punching, then initiating a clench? The clench worked, Maidana didn't particularly do much about it. He's gotta work in there.

There's a threshold, you'll hear some refs tell you to "punch your way out" prior to the full clench setting in. Once this happens, the fighters have to be broken up. That's how it works.

Yeah, clenching in boxing is very misunderstood. I hear fighters don't go to the bathroom before fights, just so they have to clench more. With their butt cheeks.

People saying Mayweather should of got points because of his holding which I personally didn't even think was that bad but then again Maidana should of got points after his display of MMA fighting in there last fight. Surprise! Karma's a b*tch!

But both fighters were wrapping up in there. You seem to have not noticed this. As early as the first round.

Not only that but Maidana is coming in smothering, the reason for the break is already there. when they clinch inside close, like when they have their chins on each others shoulders, you can't punch there. There's no legal shot. You either hit the back of the head or the kidneys. That is the position they were in for much of the fight.

I'm looking at some of it now and thats exactly why it was being broken. You say let them "fight out of it." How? By punching the back of the head or kidneys?

No.. If Mayweather released his double armed clinch then both guys hands would be free.. the ref can simply say ..let go of the clinch Mayweather... and if he doesnt..break them physically but offer a warning and progress to penalties..

I'm not trying to be abrasive here.... Clinching effected the outcome of the fight.. of a lot of Mayweather fights.. and Lewis...and Bhop.. I think it takes away from the sport and stacks the deck against an opponent.. I don't care if my favorite fighter in the world is doing it.. it's fucking wrong.. it is using the ref as a performance enhancer...

Again looking at it a second time, look at the 3rd round. There's an example of Bayless letting Maidana do what he does... UNTIL he hits the back of the head or grabs with the other arm.

I just finished reading some of the comments on Youtube and damn! Some people really hate Mayweather lol. Like with a passion (mainly Latinos and Filipinos). Crying about Mayweathers promise of a knockout. Mayweather is there to win not to fight the way you want him to fight.

I was actually laughing at some of the comments. Some of the people had no clue about what they were saying they were just annoyed that Maidana didn't do as well as he did in the first fight.

Yeah... well.. maybe they actually spent money on Mayweather's promotion.. maybe they supported him based on his promise.. and need to vent a little now that they got a hugging and dancing fest instead of the most exciting fighter in the game that they were promised....

I didnt buy the fight.. so I dont feel ripped off..but when Oscar danced away from tito I was very pissed..and I can see why they would be

I gotta say, watching this again, Maidana is clinching quite a bit too.

Some of you guys want Floyd to lose so bad ,you see what you want to see.

Again looking at it a second time, look at the 3rd round. There's an example of Bayless letting Maidana do what he does... UNTIL he hits the back of the head or grabs with the other arm.

I dont have access to a replay yet.. I can say that I watched pretty damn close though.,. and I saw Floyd double arm clinch or push his head down and lean on his back..

Floyd knows how to get a break to distance.. he's gaming the system.. and it needs to be addressed and balanced out with penalties if he ignores the warnings

I gotta say, watching this again, Maidana is clinching quite a bit too.

Some of you guys want Floyd to lose so bad ,you see what you want to see.

I think you want Floyd to be everything he says he is.. so you see what you wanna see...

There's a reason people gameplan for his clinching.. he's no different than Bhop.. he does the same shit.. but he gets a pass from you and bhop catches your wrath...

Im gonna crash out.. we're going in circles...

I never thought CHino was good enough to even challenge Floyd.. but he proved me wrong two times... I think if you take away the excessive holding and Floyd friendly ref, a real fight might have broke out

Oh wait you mean like the first fight where the ref didnt do shit.

FYI floyd still won that fight.

Back