Mediocre fighters who present stylistic challenges to all time greats

TBF though even "prime" Brock has to deal with veey seriously health issues. I am not sure that we ever had a "prime" Brock.
Yeah his career was abnormal. Hard to pin that down.

maxresdefault.jpg

The young Brock who beat Handy, Mur and Carwin would have made things very interesting against Ngannou.

He doesnt really reference why these are stylistic challenges other than Diego/Conor. He just rattles off random "open weight" fights. Which is a different topic altogether.
Silva fought at light heavy many times. I chose Thiago due to him being ultra aggressive and willing to engage in the clinch, also insane cardio at the time . Chose kairo due to his judo background , never taken down on the fence where khabib excells, also constant forward pressures and excellent hand fighter. I just assumed I didn’t have to fully explain every matchup .

Machida karate style gave him problems , he didn’t look bad against anyone else . Man he was ultra aggressive and threw combinations

He had so many wholes that MAchida exposed... Anderson would exploit those wholes easily

Im curious what you mean.
Usually, the better guy wins regardless of styles, styles are usually only significant if the fighters are 50/50 in skill

An example would be Usman vs Jorge, you could argue Jorge is a horrible matchup, he has great TDD, and get ups, with elite striking... but it didn't matter because Usman is just better

This thread kind of exposes what I'm talking about, it's very hard to think of a "mediocre" fighter that's such a bad stylistic matchup for someone 10 spots ahead of them that they could overcome a big skill gap because they match up so well

Fight is over in one minute.
Lesnar rushes like crazy to try to take Ngannou down. Ngannou avoids the takedown and now Brock is already desperate. Ngannou lands a couple good shots and Brock panics and falls down, Ngannou finishes him with GnP.

And we are talking about prime Brock. If they were to fight today it would end in 20 seconds.

Do you have imaginary fights in your head often?

Fight is over in one minute.
Lesnar rushes like crazy to try to take Ngannou down. Ngannou avoids the takedown and now Brock is already desperate. Ngannou lands a couple good shots and Brock panics and falls down, Ngannou finishes him with GnP.

And we are talking about prime Brock. If they were to fight today it would end in 20 seconds.
Accurate

The young Brock who beat Handy, Mur and Carwin would have made things very interesting against Ngannou.

I agree. To be honest, I think Ngannou is a bully and a coward. He's never faced anyone his size.

His facial expressions, and his lack of confidence, after being beaten by Stipe, showed the yellow in Ngannou's heart. IMO.

What made them all time greats was that they could beat every style though

If you think people like Brunson, Parisyan, T. Silva, Congo and Diego are "mediocre", you're a f*cking retard.

record does not determine a fighters' quality alone.

you're going to have to make a lot more sense than this;

Hey, those 90s Chicago Bulls won lots of NBA championships, but that doesn't mean they were any good.

Basically, your negative opinion of Ferguson is based on your opinion that Tony isn't a 'pretty' fighter, a la, Anderson Silva, for instance.

garbage thought process, dude. Ferguson was legit and his record and win streak is testament to that. different fighters get shit done in all sorts of different ways, some through finesse, some through more rugged techniques and tactics, some win with minimal damage, some take more.

it doesn't matter, winning is winning, regardless how good it looked. And the best win the most. Period.

Last edited:
Mike Swick starches Kamaru Usman in 27 seconds

I don't know about that, but he's definitely a great example of a fighter that had a ton of potential but never lived up to it. I think it was a combination of injuries and self doubt.

If you think people like Brunson, Parisyan, T. Silva, Congo and Diego are "mediocre", you're a f*cking retard.
Id be prepared to say T silva and Kongo are mediocre. Kongo's claim to fame is coming back from being nearly being finished multiple times by another mediocre fighter,Pat Barry.

Back