Social 'Megyn Kelly Today' Canceled By NBC After Defending Blackface with Diana Ross Halloween Costume

Should Megyn Kelly been fired for her 'blackface' comments?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Surly you don't think saying Santa was white was racist?

According to instructions on the US Census

https://www.census.gov/topics/population/race/about.html

White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

I spent 5 minutes looking when people from the area would be considered white and it looks like since 1909. Dow v US case made it so that people from Syria and that area would be considered white under US laws.

she also said white face..
Wait, what? My people?

devestated.gif

she also said white face. it's clear what she meant unless you are looking to be offended.
Whiteface isn't a thing, i.e. there isn't a history of non-Whites doing themselves up like Whites as a form of insult. People know what Blackface is.
I don't think she really intended to say Blackface was ok, she just messed up conveying her thoughts .
What people hear/read is her saying Blackface is ok on Halloween. It is not surprising if people get ticked off at that.

Whiteface isn't a thing, i.e. there isn't a history of non-Whites doing themselves up like Whites as a form of insult. People know what Blackface is.
I don't think she really intended to say Blackface was ok, she just messed up conveying her thoughts .
What people hear/read is her saying Blackface is ok on Halloween. It is not surprising if people get ticked off at that.
Inb4 someone posts a picture or gif of The Wayans brothers in "White chicks"

The bigger story here is the ineptitude of NBC to hire a FOX News mainstay for Lebron money, and think it would be successful.

What the fuck were they thinking? This has gotta be one of the biggest free agent signing busts, since Pablo Sandoval.

She was trained as a lawyer and was very successful, not broadcast journalism. On those transferable skills, her looks and personality she was able to carve out a path at Fox. Based on her success at cable news she got the very well paid and prestigious NBC gig.

You telling me you have accomplished anything like that? High level success in two extremely competitive industries. It wasn't blind luck.
Have you seen then the female on air personalities at Fox News? Breasts full of silicone and heads full of air, that and being compared to the likes of Brian Kilmeade, Steve Doocy and Pam Bondi it's not surprising she was able to carve out a path at FoxNews but outside the traveling freakshow that is FoxNews it takes more of a resume than being able to give right wing geezers boners and that's why along with her ridiculous salary the reason others at NBC weren't exactly happy about her coming on board. It's also why she flopped so hard at NBC.

I don't think so. This video got more thumbs down than thumbs up. And I think this is the one where they tell the woman changing her skin color to black won't make her black.

God bless society.

Remember this classic confrontation?

Such sensitive...many tears.

Edit - wrong post

i know it's not a thing. that is why i pointed out she said whiteface aswell, because she was referring to putting white makeup on as whiteface and putting black makeup on as blackface.

then why are you trying to analyse what she said like this then?

Blackface is well known to be a caricature, to degrade and make fun of Black people. What if she had said dressing up as a caricatured perception of a Jewish person , replete with a prosthetic nose that harks back to age old degrading stereotypes of Jewish features. Or how about stretching one's eyelids as a caricature of East Asians? Just because it is Halloween, is it ok?

"What if she had said dressing up as a caricatured perception of a Jewish person"....she didn't
"Or how about stretching one's eyelids as a caricature of East Asians?" she didn't
just like she didn't say this is ok
blackface_3910.jpg

"Just because it is Halloween, is it ok?" she never said it was

you know damn well what she meant. and you know damn well she didn't mean anything offensive. stop being a hack.

What people hear/read is her saying Blackface is ok on Halloween.
nobody with a functioning brain thought that. except leftists, and people desperately trying to be offended on behalf of black people pretended they thought that. i doubt most black people would have given a shit about her comments(because they're lives aren't pathetic enough

Have you seen then the female on air personalities at Fox News? Breasts full of silicone and heads full of air, that and being compared to the likes of Brian Kilmeade, Steve Doocy and Pam Bondi it's not surprising she was able to carve out a path at FoxNews but outside the traveling freakshow that is FoxNews it takes more of a resume than being able to give right wing geezers boners and that's why along with her ridiculous salary the reason others at NBC weren't exactly happy about her coming on board. It's also why she flopped so hard at NBC.
All those people are far more accomplished than you.

She also competes against the entire industry, not just those on fox and friends.

Eh...she obviously didn't mean anything racist here, she's just really dumb.
I don't think she should be fired for being 'racist', but for being stupid? Yeah, I get it.
That whole segment was just tone deaf on so many levels.

Why do you have a panel of 4 white people on to talk about what is, or isn't racist towards a black person?
Black face isn't some new, abstract thing that people were recently 'triggered' by. It's been a thing for a while. I'll understand that there are some white people that didn't know the history of it. But, when you work in TV, and are supposedly as educated as Megyn? It just shows how sheltered she is, and how little she knows outside of her own little bubble. How does a person like that get a TV show to express their views, when her views and outlook on life are so limited?

The problem with dressing up as other cultures for Halloween is that dehumanizes them. It makes them into stereotypes. You get a bunch of white guys dressed up as rappers talking 'jive", a bunch of guys in sombreros talking like Pancho Villa, etc etc. These aren't flattering representations of the culture.
lol And her example..I mean who dresses up like Diana Ross..for Halloween? Why would you even think of that as a "costume"?
<36>

This is what she said

She and an all-white panel were discussing campus attempts to discourage “inappropriate and offensive costumes” when Kelly asked: “But what is racist? Because truly, you do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface at Halloween or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween. Back when I was a kid, that was okay as long as you were dressing up as like a character.”

https://people.com/tv/nbc-cancels-megyn-kelly-today-after-blackface/

-

Blackface is well known to be a caricature, to degrade and make fun of Black people. What if she had said dressing up as a caricatured perception of a Jewish person , replete with a prosthetic nose that harks back to age old degrading stereotypes of Jewish features. Or how about stretching one's eyelids as a caricature of East Asians? Just because it is Halloween, is it ok?

@splendica, lol.

If somebody rubs shoe polish on their face like this...

3351505-1.jpg

I can see how this could be offensive due to the demeaning way this was portraying black people; but back about 11 years ago I dressed up as MR T for Halloween. I grew my beard, shaved the same Mohawk that connected to the beard, dyed them black, and painted up my face a brownish color.

I did it because I always thought Mr. T was fucking awesome as a kid. I don't feel that my costume should be in anyway offensive, and anybody who does can eat my shit. I also took second place in a costume contest at the Bar I was at and won $75.

You think shes better off than karate forum administrators? (Biggest karate forum in the history of the internet as a matter of fact) woo brother. Where is your self respect?
As lofty as an internet admin position is held in high society, I will give Ms Kelly a slight, slight nod.

Interesting that people in this thread discard her as a "bimbo" when she is more accomplished than anyone on this forum

She's obviously more than a 'bimbo', but Kylie Jenner is a billionaire, and Donald Trump is president.
Plenty of dumb people get to higher spots in life based off of things besides intelligence. I'm not saying Megyn is dumb, or purely 'lucky', but she has some said a lot of dumb shit for someone so 'accomplished'.

I should be able to dress up as MLK without worrying about a damn thing. Shit is ridiculous.

All those people are far more accomplished than you.

She also competes against the entire industry, not just those on fox and friends.
Megyn Kelly wasn't competing against the entire industry when she was at Fox News, she was competing against the likes of Pam Bondi for the title who can give the most right wing geezers boners and not look like she failed high school journalism in the process and against Fox and Friends where if she could speak for more than 5 minutes without people thinking she's mentally handicapped she won. When Megyn left Fox News that's when she began to compete against the rest of the industry and flopped.

She's obviously more than a 'bimbo', but Kylie Jenner is a billionaire, and Donald Trump is president.
Plenty of dumb people get to higher spots in life based off of things besides intelligence. I'm not saying Megyn is dumb, or purely 'lucky', but she has some said a lot of dumb shit for someone so 'accomplished'.
My issue isn't that Kelly should be inducted into mensa, rather people in this forum have no self awareness as to how stupid they sound and of their actual intelligence.

I read everyday posts about how stupid Shapiro and Maddow are. Really? Some jerkoff on a subforum of a cagefighting site has it all figured out and they are idiots. No self awareness

I should be able to dress up as MLK without worrying about a damn thing. Shit is ridiculous.
<JagsKiddingMe>
But why would anyone dress up as MLK? Why would you think that made sense for a Halloween costume?
Do people dress up like Bill Gates or Dana White?

Aren't Halloween costumes generally reserved for mythical shit, scary shit, and funny shit? When did people start dressing up as normal people for halloween? There's some exceptions like say..Michael Jackson..but that's because he looked weird

Back