Media Michael Chandler's advice for Poirier: Stay where you're at!

On Dustin's recent flirting with a move up in weight:

"Depending on how you wanna think about this, I say tap out. If I'm Dustin Poirier or his management — he's not a big 155:er. Some people would say he could make 145. Case in point,
when somebody pulled out of their fight once, he stepped on the scale and took a picture of himself. He was in the 170's."

"I'm about 190 right now, he's not a big lightweight. I don't think it's smart for him to go up to 170. You get hit with a 170-pound punch, it's a lot harder than 155. Dustin, stay at 155!"

didn't he lose to Dustin LOL

Poirier still has great matchups at LW.
He could do a RDA fight or wait for the Gamrot/Fiziev and Dariush/Arman fights to play out.
A KO isn't the end of a fighters career and even if Poirier doesn't have the same chin as before he's got elite boxing with great timing and good cardio. I think he still gives Gamrot, Fiziev, Arman and Dariush all they can handle win or lose.

If he does move to WW for some last run fun matchups RDA, Luque or JDM type fighters would be great to see. Either strikers or undersized LW's.

It makes no sense whatsoever but part of me wanted to see Dustin roll off the couch and fight Wonderboy after Pereira missed weight.

Him and RDA would indeed be a good "legacy fight" at 170 or 155, though.

Dustin already walked back what he said about 170 and said he was just playing, people are making it out to be more serious than it was. If he ever does go to 170 it will be for someone like Nate Diaz, not a legit top welterweight.
Reminds me of when Mayhem Miller ended some rambling statement with "...but I'm retarded". A reporter asked "wait, you retired?" and he jokingly agreed "that's right, I'm retired". It quickly cycled through the MMA Press that Mayhem Miller had retired.

It took a week for Mayhem to explain to everyone that no, he was fucking around, and he hasn't retired...

...but it took a year before sherdoggers quit asking "but I thought he was retired?!?"

Which I guess is just a new variation of an old complaint - an inaccurate story can be front page of a newspaper and read by everyone, but the retraction a week later is on the 2nd to last page and read by no one.

Reactions: Cid
I mostly agree with what Chandler said. He would be really small compared to a lot of the division. Hell the guy was 145. The only 170 he should do is a fight with Colby, because Colby is on the smaller side at 170, and they don't like each other and have talked about fighting in the past. If Dustin went against a Shavkat, Usman, Leon, Khamzat....etc, he would get ragdolled

Conor has broader shoulders and longer arms

Their shoulders are about equal, it looks like Conor has broader shoulders because his torso is so much more narrow. You can see here, when they are sucked down and showing frame more than muscle, the overall frame size difference is immense.

264weighins.jpg

0.jpg

Diamond needs to stay away from a legit welterweight, but someone like nate diaz would be perfect. then back to 155.

Their shoulders are about equal, it looks like Conor has broader shoulders because his torso is so much more narrow. You can see here, when they are sucked down and showing frame more than muscle, the overall frame size difference is immense.

True, Poirier has a super broad waist, pretty seldom on man.
Not very useful for fighting, but he is successfull with it

Ok, calm down chandler. you're 2-3 since coming over to the UFC.

9e04dc04f60aa04d7ec1d7208133d2b5deeed08c.gif
Yup, and 1 of those 2 wins is over a dried up husk of what used to be Tony Ferguson (who still managed to put Chandler in trouble in the first round).

Last edited:
Back