Crime Michigan School Shooter's Mom on Trial for Manslaughter (Update: Guilty on all 4 counts) (Update 3: Father guilty on all counts)

The term “overpoliced” is thrown around too often. The good people in bad neighborhoods beg for more police. They beg for it because they are getting attacked, threatened, harassed daily by the thugs. And when you combine that with a high crime rate, you are going to see more cops in that neighborhood. Police fo where the crime is heaviest and to get a handle on that crime takes a nuanced approach. If the officers just start targeting every single infraction akin to the broken windows theory, they’re going to burn the good people as well as the bad, which leads to over policing and it erodes trust and the good people get it from both ends-the cops and the thugs and it can sometimes be difficult to tell them apart.

I worked the bad neighborhoods by choice my whole career by choice. When I became a lieutenant, I chose to take on the worst district and I had the best results because any police saturating I ordered was very targeted at specific houses, subjects, or particular types of crimes. I ordered traffic stops of vehicles leaving drug houses, but otherwise, told them to lay off minor traffic stops.

We had an Indian gentleman (sub continent India) living next to a house of nuns and on both sides and across from them were crackhouses. Now, George (the Indian gentleman) had a bad habit of not fully stopping at stop signs or speeding in certain areas. I spoke to him about it and he admitted it was because he wanted to get past certain houses and didn’t want to stop at stop signs because of the corner boys. They hated him, threw shit at his car, made threats to rape his daughter, etc. so along with the briefing I did of the houses and people I wanted targeted, I also did profiles of some of the good people as well. I wanted the officers to know why and who they were serving.

I got my results in three weeks of a four week targeted operation. I hand picked my officers and gave them packets with all the crimes that had occurred in this neighborhood and who was known or suspected to be responsible for the crime. I updated these packets every week. The net result was 70 good arrests and two crackhouses shut down as well as all the prostitutes and corner boys moving to another district.

I come into work one day and there is Indian George, his wife, and daughter (whom nobody had ever seen before-she was quite pretty), and a few other residents. They brought us tiki masala, rice, naaan, and butter chicken-and it was some of the best shit I had eaten in a long time.

Yes, if you just floor a neighborhood with cops and don’t tell them specifically what they need to focus on, they will end up going after the good people as well as the bad. But if you lay out specific goals, the extra police can do a lot of good vs harm.
I wonder how long they'd bring you food if they knew you called him Indian George.

I wonder how long they'd bring you food if they knew you called him Indian George.

. But that’s what the neighbors all called him. He was an mechanical engineer living in the hood. I will never understand that. I liked Indian George. Some guys didn’t because he was always calling with a “civil disturbance” when the corner boys were being loud. It was difficult to protect him because they all knew who had called and said they were being loud. So I would have to make shit up and say “guys, it’s 0300 hrs and I could hear you down the street. Please keep it down. Then I would park just up the street so all the cars driving on the one way street to buy crack would have to pass by me and they would keep going. Eventually, they would move elsewhere.

This sounds like a good idea, but the implications of this could be absolutely devastating for the black community. Now we're going to lock their moms up too?

This looks like a road to hell being paved with good intentions type scenario to me.

It won’t be a problem for them because this precedent won’t be applied fairly, it will be arbitrarily used by DAs when it’s politically and ideologically safe or advantageous.

It won’t be a problem for them because this precedent won’t be applied fairly, it will be arbitrarily used by DAs when it’s politically and ideologically safe or advantageous.

You're right, my bad. I forgot this is happening in a banana republic, not a proper country.

Sentencing is scheduled for April 6th. So we should also know the results of Dad's trial (or plea) by then.

Jesus Christ you’re obsessed. I quit engaging with you and you keep tagging me for the dumbest shit. Fuck off ya twat and we’re not friends

You don't have to get all fussy. I was just thanking you for providing a sig worthy quote. Cheerio Bro!

Based on the article here is a helluva difference.
Here is a kid with mental problems that asked for help and his parents refusing him help.
They even got to see a drawing he made
"The parents were presented with a disturbing drawing their son had scrawled on an assignment. It depicted a gun and bullet and the lines, “The thoughts won’t stop. Help me. The world is dead. My life is useless.”"

This is not just about him having access to a gun imo, its about them knowing he had mental problems and refusing him help. Even on the day of the shooting they refused to take him home... and knowing about his thought and issues they did nothing to make it harder for him to access weapons.

Imo this is a long way from a mother having a criminal gang banging son.
that's freaking horrible man...

i can only imagine how cold and dead it was in that home for him....

that's freaking horrible man...

i can only imagine how cold and dead it was in that home for him....
The mom even referred to him as an "oopsie baby" according to more than one source. They spent their money and time on everything but their son, 4 kids lost their lives for it, and now they will pay.

“James Crumbley was not aware that his son had access to that firearm,” Lehman told jurors. “You will hear testimony that access was not allowed in James Crumbley's mind. You will not hear that James Crumbley even suspected that his son was a danger.”

Ignorance is not a defense.

Back