Micro USB cables always failing

CoolB

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
My wife and I are losing our minds. We are each going through a USB cord a month on average. They all fail, they are all garbage. I've tried so many different brands, braided, flat, round, doesn't matter. Eventually all of them loosen and the connector seems to break from it's solder point and we've got to twist the cable around our phones to find a spot where it actually connects.

Anyone else having usb cable problems? What do you do?

It's getting expensive. I'm debating going on Amazon or similar and ordering a bunch of cables or maybe getting a docking station. I don't feel like changing phones. I have 10/10 LG G4 and my wife has an 8 or 9/10 Note 5. Both still work great.

I'm just venting but also looking to see if anyone else is experiencing the same and has any ideas.

Cheers

Sounds like you just don't know how to take care of your stuff dawg

I find that most are shitty quality and I need to replace them frequently. I have found that with free ones, cheap ones, and more pricey ones.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to buy a couple.

They usually fail after I run them over with the vacuum cleaner.

I try and set my phone flat when charging with the cable able to be extended straight without bends. My cables seem to last awhile like that.

Sounds like you just don't know how to take care of your stuff dawg
I didn't think I had to write that part in considering I've tried many different brands and styles. It's a case of bad manufacturing. Just google it. Lots of people have this problem. I mean serious, it's a plug and I'm 41. Think I've had enough experience inserting and removing things in my life to know if it's a user problem lol.

I didn't think I had to write that part in considering I've tried many different brands and styles. It's a case of bad manufacturing. Just google it. Lots of people have this problem. I mean serious, it's a plug and I'm 41. Think I've had enough experience inserting and removing things in my life to know if it's a user problem lol.
I have a ton of devices powered by micro usb and can’t recall having this problem in the last five years. I’m not saying they aren’t poorly made but perhaps there’s something we are doing differently. Are you slow/careful when plugging in? Do you have cats? Like someone else mentioned are you charging on flat and clear surfaces. Maybe I’m just lucky idk.

I think that's what companies do nowadays. I'm still rocking my old Galaxy 3 from 2012 or whatever, and my charger is even older I think.

its fucked one minute theyre working then nothing, even if theyre not broken, the iphone ones break at the end and the wires get exposed.
i tried sugru and its great

sugru-packshot-af3c8a2975e2cd445ad234c0db769cad43e176eab7f16103e75b80d25d39bbda.png

CRO_Home_Appliance_Sugru_opener_032715

I have a ton of devices powered by micro usb and can’t recall having this problem in the last five years. I’m not saying they aren’t poorly made but perhaps there’s something we are doing differently. Are you slow/careful when plugging in? Do you have cats? Like someone else mentioned are you charging on flat and clear surfaces. Maybe I’m just lucky idk.

I plug in and lay it flat. I've had intermittent problems like this for years with other phones but of recent it seems they all fail. Not sure what I could be doing to them. I recently bought 2 nice braided cords for nearly $20 each and the box said 3 year warranty but within a few weeks both had connection issues. I'm kicking myself for this one because I stupidly threw out the receipt and boxes they came in.

My wife and I are losing our minds. We are each going through a USB cord a month on average. They all fail, they are all garbage. I've tried so many different brands, braided, flat, round, doesn't matter. Eventually all of them loosen and the connector seems to break from it's solder point and we've got to twist the cable around our phones to find a spot where it actually connects.

It's getting expensive. I'm debating going on Amazon or similar and ordering a bunch of cables or maybe getting a docking station. I don't feel like changing phones. I have 10/10 LG G4 and my wife has an 8 or 9/10 Note 5. Both still work great.

I'm just venting but also looking to see if anyone else is experiencing the same and has any ideas.

Cheers

I have an LG G4 as well. It's well known for having problems with the charging input.

I was going through a lot of USB/MicroUSB cables too. I've had this phone for about a year and 4 months and ive gone through maybe 7 usb/micro usb cables. all my old ones got used up then I went on amazon and bought a 3 pack and I haven't had an issue with the new cable yet.

I never had this problem with previous phones and from what I can tell its a G4 issue, it just wears out the ends on your connector or something. They get loose and will start disconnecting at random even when they are plugged in, and then it doesnt charge.

these are the ones i got

i can only say they've worked well for me with no issues yet but you never know

I plug in and lay it flat. I've had intermittent problems like this for years with other phones but of recent it seems they all fail. Not sure what I could be doing to them. I recently bought 2 nice braided cords for nearly $20 each and the box said 3 year warranty but within a few weeks both had connection issues. I'm kicking myself for this one because I stupidly threw out the receipt and boxes they came in.
None of mine plug into phones (speakers, MP3 players , controllers, ect). So maybe it’s ur devices

I have an LG G4 as well. It's well known for having problems with the charging input.

I was going through a lot of USB/MicroUSB cables too. I've had this phone for about a year and 4 months and ive gone through maybe 7 usb/micro usb cables. all my old ones got used up then I went on amazon and bought a 3 pack and I haven't had an issue with the new cable yet.

I never had this problem with previous phones and from what I can tell its a G4 issue, it just wears out the ends on your connector or something. They get loose and will start disconnecting at random even when they are plugged in, and then it doesnt charge.

these are the ones i got

i can only say they've worked well for me with no issues yet but you never know

Thanks for the heads up. Those are the exact cables I was looking at. I think I'll order them and give them a try.

Yeah they all suck but i get them free through work so i dont care

According to @Treeloy it's common with the LG G4. Maybe the Note 5's are bad for this too.

Yeah a few cables I tried didn't even make it 2 weeks. I said maybe 7 cables but now that I think about it, it could be more like 10-15 lol. According to my amazon order history I ordered those sept 5th. I got them pretty quick so Ive been using this same cord for a month and a half no issue yet.

hopefully it keeps working cause yeah its really annoying to have to keep ordering usb/micro usb cables lol

Mono price. Buy in bulk

Yeah a few cables I tried didn't even make it 2 weeks. I said maybe 7 cables but now that I think about it, it could be more like 10-15 lol. According to my amazon order history I ordered those sept 5th. I got them pretty quick so Ive been using this same cord for a month and a half no issue yet.

hopefully it keeps working cause yeah its really annoying to have to keep ordering usb/micro usb cables lol
Someone makes a magnetic connector adapter, I don't remember the name of the company though. Its a dongle type thing that stays on your phone and the chord is magnetic as well.

Cheers

Stop bending them while they are connected and they shouldn't fail.

Back