Microsoft acquires Zenimax Entertainment for $7.5 billion

I understand from a business standpoint why Micros oft would decide to make games like Starfield, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout exclusive. I still hate it though. Its one thing to have exclusives like Sony has with naughty dog or Microsoft has with Halo or Gears, those were always exclusives. However it’s another thing to buy rights to games people were already enjoying and then taking them away. It would be like Sony buying Capcom and taking Resident Evil away from X Box players. Smart for business but a bit of a dick move IMO.
Yes I hated what Sony did with Street Fighter 5. They didn't buy Capcom but took their biggest name and turned it exclusive. Microsoft learned with the best.

Yes I hated what Sony did with Street Fighter 5. They didn't buy Capcom but took their biggest name and turned it exclusive. Microsoft learned with the best.
Agreed. I’m not a fan of companies taking games that were traditionally non exclusive and making them exclusive. It’s fine if these properties were exclusive from the beginning but to take away something people were already enjoying like I said before, while a smart business move is still a dick move imo.

Microsoft has shown over the past couple of years that they dont deal in exclusives.
I know, that’s why I hope they don’t make Starfield, Elder Scrolls or Fallout exclusive. I love those games and I’d rather they stay as they are, non exclusive. It’s within Microsoft’s rights to do so however, still I hope they don’t.

Microsoft has shown over the past couple of years that they dont deal in exclusives.
They absolutely do deal in Console/Platform Exclusives which is precisely why this thread is so controversial.

Wow they finally said it. I knew there was a reason they were beating around the bush with the word exclusive.

That's a lot of billions invested for timed exclusivity on Game Pass.

Doesn't really affect me since I was always planning on buying those games on PC anyway. At worst I'll have to wait a bit... meh...

That's a lot of billions invested for timed exclusivity on Game Pass.

Doesn't really affect me since I was always planning on buying those games on PC anyway. At worst I'll have to wait a bit... meh...
It’s still an enormous incentive. Play Bethesda games on release day with Game Pass. Plus they have a back catalog to add when this officially goes through.

It’s still an enormous incentive. Play Bethesda games on release day with Game Pass. Plus they have a back catalog to add when this officially goes through.

I guess. But aside from Nintendo there are no back catalogue I truly care for.

It's not as if I have an infinite amount of time to play games. I want to play the very best games and the majority of them can be found on Nintendo or Sony (as of now) and PC. Who knows maybe in the future I'll switch to Xbox but I don't ever see myself paying for a gaming subscription as of now. Then again I never imagined I'd be paying for a Netflix subscription either but I share that with family + one friend.

It's not as if I have an infinite amount of time to play games. I want to play the very best games and the majority of them can be found on Nintendo or Sony (as of now) and PC. Who knows maybe in the future I'll switch to Xbox but I don't ever see myself paying for a gaming subscription as of now. Then again I never imagined I'd be paying for a Netflix subscription either but I share that with family + one friend.

I agree I don't really care about the back catalogue. If I wanted those games they go on sell regularly on PC and I could buy them for cheap.

I did try game pass and it's nice but I canceled it for now. I think it's a great idea for people who game a lot which is what I do. It doesn't have enough games at least for PC. Once EA play is on PC and they can add all the zenimax titles I'm going to sign back up. I think by then it will be in a much better place.

I agree I don't really care about the back catalogue. If I wanted those games they go on sell regularly on PC and I could buy them for cheap.

I did try game pass and it's nice but I canceled it for now. I think it's a great idea for people who game a lot which is what I do. It doesn't have enough games at least for PC. Once EA play is on PC and they can add all the zenimax titles I'm going to sign back up. I think by then it will be in a much better place.

Game pass is great for anybody who's coming back into gaming after a long layoff or someone who recently came back or is just about to get started. They have nothing to start with so buying an Xbox Series X + all those games from Game pass would be the best option.

But for gamers like us who have been with PlayStation since the dawn of time (or at the very least the PS4 lifetime) we have accumulate a nice cache of games. I own close to 80+ games on PS+ account. Why pay for a subscription when I can continue paying a flat fee of $30 or so annually and get my 24+ extra annual games? By next year I'll have 100+ games in my PS Plus account. Two years from now 120+ or so. And it keeps on going up. As long as these games carry over to my next console I will have a giant library of games to fall back to for the low low price of $30 per year. If I want to play a specific hot game i'll just pay the $70 for it (or wait for a sale if it's older). There are years when I only buy one game and there are years where I buy 6-8 games. But they're always split among different platforms. It makes no sense for me buy a Gamepass based on how I've been gaming. The only way that happens if Gamepass buys up Nintendo or Sony or they snap up all the main developers (Blizzard, Capcom, etc..). I'll jump ship immediately.

It does seem like a lot of money to pay just to be able to release the games on day one for game pass. Seems like they could have just made a timed exclusive deal for much cheaper.

Game pass is great for anybody who's coming back into gaming after a long layoff or someone who recently came back or is just about to get started. They have nothing to start with so buying an Xbox Series X + all those games from Game pass would be the best option.

But for gamers like us who have been with PlayStation since the dawn of time (or at the very least the PS4 lifetime) we have accumulate a nice cache of games. I own close to 80+ games on PS+ account. Why pay for a subscription when I can continue paying a flat fee of $30 or so annually and get my 24+ extra annual games? By next year I'll have 100+ games in my PS Plus account. Two years from now 120+ or so. And it keeps on going up. As long as these games carry over to my next console I will have a giant library of games to fall back to for the low low price of $30 per year. If I want to play a specific hot game i'll just pay the $70 for it (or wait for a sale if it's older). There are years when I only buy one game and there are years where I buy 6-8 games. But they're always split among different platforms. It makes no sense for me buy a Gamepass based on how I've been gaming. The only way that happens if Gamepass buys up Nintendo or Sony or they snap up all the main developers (Blizzard, Capcom, etc..). I'll jump ship immediately.

Yea I see what you mean. I'm not sure it's worth it either. They increased it to $10 monthly and I do think one more price increase will be necessary at some point but they'll hold off on that for now.

I paid $1 for the trial and got to play outerworlds and ori which I enjoyed both so it was a good deal. I was going to play FF15 since I gave up on it last time but I'll wait till I get my 3080 which should be soon since my queue is coming up for EVGA. Well my friends queue and he already got his 3070 so he agreed to purchase the video card for me. I mainly just used it to try games I was never sure I would like but wanted to try.

My main issue with gamepass though is I don't have control over the install folder for games and I don't trust MS to remove shit the right way.

I’m a fan of Game Pass. It’s turned me on to a lot of games I wanted to play but didn’t feel like spending money on. I don’t use it constantly but it’s nice to just have.

They’ll also be profiting on people who buy Bethesda games on other consoles. Game Pass isn’t going to get millions of more gamers to come over but if you’re getting sales from another install base of millions and getting the passive income from Game Pass subscriptions, that’s a lot of cash.

Like I said, I think it would be a mistake for MS to make some games like TES6 exclusive. That said, it's still a huge selling point to get the games included with game pass on day one with maybe some bonus content thrown in. Everyone wins.

I’m a fan of Game Pass. It’s turned me on to a lot of games I wanted to play but didn’t feel like spending money on. I don’t use it constantly but it’s nice to just have.

They’ll also be profiting on people who buy Bethesda games on other consoles. Game Pass isn’t going to get millions of more gamers to come over but if you’re getting sales from another install base of millions and getting the passive income from Game Pass subscriptions, that’s a lot of cash.
Yeah, game pass is really strong. I like that they put a bunch of pc-ass pc games on the game pass for windows. Like Crusader Kings 3 and hearts of iron 4 and stuff.
It even got me playing football manager again.
And now that they're adding the EA subscription to it for no extra charge, and when they add the cloud x streaming service in the future, I don't see how any of the other services compete at all.

Back