Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Or as a reenlistment incentive. I knew a couple of marines who got their jump wings that way.

The Corps is pretty picky on that. I think one 03xx Marine from the Fleet gets sent a year. It's even rare for Recon and Raiders. ANGLICO gets first dibs, because it's joint.

They're probably wanting to pad their SRB for promotion, badge collect, or go for the challenge.

I know a former RI at my VFW. He mentioned how they opened up slots to other services in non-combat occupations, to fill slots. Not enough qualified grunts wanted to go. Not even combat proven infantrymen wanted to volunteer. Honestly, I don't blame them, and I don't blame anyone for accepting the opportunity. Heck, I would have liked to have gone. It used to be a requirement in ABC (ANGLICO Basic Course) before my time.

I get your thinking, though. It's like someone in 82nd going to Air Assault.
For what it’s worth air assault is course for sling loads, fries master and repelling. The qual is beneficial for any light infantry plt. But most people really just associate it to the 101st and the tons of worthless mos’s that wouldn’t be anywhere near a truck that has to be sling loaded to an outpost. Obviously a lot of people chase the badge…

The Coasties were in the international sniper competition, not Ranger Comp
No, the Coast Guard had a two men team in the competition. Not sure why the Coast Guard is funding individuals to go to Ranger school. Makes more sense to send them to scuba school.

"The Best Ranger Competition was first held in 1982. The first competitions were limited to Ranger units, but from 1984 onwards it accepted teams from throughout the Army. As of 2018, the competition involves 50 two-man teams, mostly from the 75th Ranger Regiment and the ARTB, but also including a Coast Guard team. The competition takes 62 hours and involves tests of physical fitness, including runs and marches, and of marksmanship. The exact composition of events changes yearly."

Anyone with a Ranger tab can attend (women included): Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, and Space Force.
Space Force Ranger!

<DCWhoa>

Last edited:
No, the Coast Guard had a two men team in the competition. Not sure why the Coast Guard is funding individuals to go to Ranger school. Makes more sense to send them to scuba school.

"The Best Ranger Competition was first held in 1982. The first competitions were limited to Ranger units, but from 1984 onwards it accepted teams from throughout the Army. As of 2018, the competition involves 50 two-man teams, mostly from the 75th Ranger Regiment and the ARTB, but also including a Coast Guard team. The competition takes 62 hours and involves tests of physical fitness, including runs and marches, and of marksmanship. The exact composition of events changes yearly."

Anyone with a Ranger tab can attend (women included): Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine, Coast Guard, and Space Force.
Space Force Ranger!

<DCWhoa>

<Prem972>

I know a former RI at my VFW. He mentioned how they opened up slots to other services in non-combat occupations, to fill slots. Not enough qualified grunts wanted to go. Not even combat proven infantrymen wanted to volunteer. Honestly, I don't blame them, and I don't blame anyone for accepting the opportunity. Heck, I would have liked to have gone. It used to be a requirement in ABC (ANGLICO Basic Course) before my time.
I think Ranger school is still not a requirement for Infantry officers in the Active Army. That being said, I would sure as shit not want to be an Infantry Platoon Leader without a tab (2nd Lieutenant). Not when other officers and NCOs in the Company are tabbed. No one will respect you. You can get away with it in the Army National Guard (due to funding and slots). You most likely will not get Platoon or Company leadership time. They most likely will roll you into the headquarter section (administration), supply section, mortar section, NBC or other section. You can also switch to Mechanized Infantry and be successful there. There are exceptions, and I have worked with some excellent non-tabbed officers and NCOs while in the Infantry. Same for SF. I would not want to be a Green Beret without a Ranger tab. Being triple tabbed is the way to go. At least it was in my day: Special Forces, Ranger, Airborne. Having a scuba patch was the icing on the cake.

I don't know about the comment your RI made. I was in when that change came out. I don't know about the way things are working today. Seems like folks are getting softer. Infantry Officers and NCOs in both Active Duty and the National Guard wanted to go to Ranger school. At least they used to. All Active-Duty Lieutenants in my IOBC class had Ranger school slots and were expected to attend and graduate - 1992. The pipeline was, ROTC, Airborne school, IOBC, and Ranger school. The active component has the slots and funding, the National Guard does not. At least that is how it was in my day. NG Ranger students got sent home if they were recycled. There was no funding in the budget for recycled soldiers -- too many extra days. You do get the occasional soldier who takes 6 months to a year to complete Ranger school due to being recycled. A bad injury will normally cause that.

Ranger school today is different. Easier than it was in the 1980s and 1990s. Three phases as opposed to four. Shorter, with lower standards to accommodate the females. It has all gone to shit really. One should really try to go if he/she is in the Infantry. You can try multiple times if you fail. If you decide to quit, you can never come back for a second try. The tab not only helps with respect, but promotion and career path in the Army.

* On a side note: The tab does not make you a great soldier or leader. There are/were a few tabbed officers and NCOs who were weak leaders and 'scumbags.'

Last edited:
The Darby Queen obstacle course in Phase I of Ranger school and part of the 'Best Ranger Competition.'
Ft. Benning, GA. I don't care about the new installation name. Not as hard as people think, but during the competition, it is a timed event. You can only move as fat as your buddy moves. Two-men teams. Most obstacles are relatively easy to conquer.
It is the fear, anxiety factor, and being tired that gets you. Much like Ranger school.

No, the Coast Guard had a two men team in the competition. Not sure why the Coast Guard funding individuals to go to Ranger school. Makes more sense to send them to scuba school.
Didn't know we had a team at the Ranger games. So yeah, my bad.

As to why we send guys: MSRT

Went through Cheifs Initiation with a few of them when I was out in SD.

For what it’s worth air assault is course for sling loads, fries master and repelling. The qual is beneficial for any light infantry plt. But most people really just associate it to the 101st and the tons of worthless mos’s that wouldn’t be anywhere near a truck that has to be sling loaded to an outpost. Obviously a lot of people chase the badge…

Didn't look at it that way, coming from a different branch of service.

For sling loads, it was an independent joint service course, or it was integrated into your respective occupation school. For fries/spies or repelling, we just had schoolhouse certifications to instruct at company level.

I think Ranger school is still not a requirement for Infantry officers in the Active Army. That being said, I would sure as shit not want to be an Infantry Platoon Leader without a tab (2nd Lieutenant). Not when other officers and NCOs in the Company are tabbed. No one will respect you. You can get away with it in the Army National Guard (due to funding and slots). You most likely will not get Platoon or Company leadership time. They most likely will roll you into the headquarter section (administration), supply section, mortar section, NBC or other section. You can also switch to Mechanized Infantry and be successful there. There are exceptions, and I have worked with some excellent non-tabbed officers and NCOs while in the Infantry. Same for SF. I would not want to be a Green Beret without a Ranger tab. Being triple tabbed is the way to go. At least it was in my day: Special Forces, Ranger, Airborne. Having a scuba patch was the icing on the cake.

I don't know about the comment your RI made. I was in when that change came out. I don't know about the way things are working today. Seems like folks are getting softer. Infantry Officers and NCOs in both Active Duty and the National Guard wanted to go to Ranger school. At least they used to. All Active-Duty Lieutenants in my IOBC class had Ranger school slots and were expected to attend and graduate - 1992. The pipeline was, ROTC, Airborne school, IOBC, and Ranger school. The active component has the slots and funding, the National Guard does not. At least that is how it was in my day. NG Ranger students got sent home if they were recycled. There was no funding in the budget for recycled soldiers -- too many extra days. You do get the occasional soldier who takes 6 months to a year to complete Ranger school due to being recycled. A bad injury will normally cause that.

Ranger school today is different. Easier than it was in the 1980s and 1990s. Three phases as opposed to four. Shorter, with lower standards to accommodate the females. It has all gone to shit really. One should really try to go if he/she is in the Infantry. You can try multiple times if you fail. If you decide to quit, you can never come back for a second try. The tab not only helps with respect, but promotion and career path in the Army.

* On a side note: The tab does not make you a great soldier or leader. There are/were a few tabbed officers and NCOs who were weak leaders and 'scumbags.'

This RI got out in 2019, fwiw.

I'd imagine not attending roadblocking your career in Army Infantry. In Marine Infantry, it's highly distinguished. It's not the course in itself, it's what you did to get the opportunity to attend.

When I was in, the Marine Corps got reduced down to 10 slots a year. Prior to my enlistment, it was a requirement in certain occupations. I think they opened it up to 20 slots a year.

Anyone with a Ranger tab can attend (women included): Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, and Space Force.
Space Force Ranger!

<DCWhoa>
YP2U3RJLSJCP3EKLQ4A3BJLF5U.jpg

Didn't look at it that way, coming from a different branch of service.

For sling loads, it was an independent joint service course, or it was integrated into your respective occupation school. For fries/spies or repelling, we just had schoolhouse certifications to instruct at company level.
Yeah all of those things are true in the army as well. I never went to air assault but I was fries/spies master and I have slung load stuff but someone with a certification rigged it. Air assault just kind of rolls things into one place for simplicity.

Didn't know we had a team at the Ranger games. So yeah, my bad.

As to why we send guys: MSRT

Went through Cheifs Initiation with a few of them when I was out in SD.

Yes, I understand Maritime Security Response Team (MSRT), but Ranger school has nothing to do with that. MSRT deals with counterterrorism and the protection of local maritime assets - in water. U.S. Army Delta Teams usually deal with that sort of thing. The sole reason Delta was created. Ranger school deals with Infantry small unit tactics at the Platoon level - mainly on land. Patrolling is the main task on all 3 phases of the school. You patrol during the day and night. When it is wet, cold and miserable or hot. ...and just when you thought you had enough of patrolling, the RIs give you another patrol to go on. Just to fuck with you. But seriously, there were some truly amazing and professional RIs in the course. They were there to teach and help you make it through the course. On the other side of the coin there were some truly sadistic and unprofessional RIs who were there only to abuse Ranger students. Fuck those guys!

Last edited:
Man! I was joking. I can't believe Space Force is sending guys to Ranger school. A complete waste of slots and money.

* Why is this guy wearing his tab on the right shoulder?
Sapper tab, too.

Ah, I guess their regs are different.
skpl26sw8gy51.jpg

This Airman ran out of space.

Last edited:
Man! I was joking. I can't believe Space Force is sending guys to Ranger school. A complete waste of slots and money.

* Why is this guy wearing his tab on the right shoulder?

He's gonna have a kick@ss A.P.R. (Airman Performance Report)

<Oku02>

Sapper tab, too.

Ah, I guess their regs are different.
skpl26sw8gy51.jpg

This Airman ran out of space.
That’s just weird.. usually call sign patches are worn with the first letter to the front regardless of side. Like wearing flags with the stars forward on either side. Also that’s a DCU Ranger tab. Clearly someone just fucking around but was probably SF then went to be a controller. That’s a lot of time in military schools that suck.

He's gonna have a kick@ss A.P.R. (Airman Performance Report)

<Oku02>

That’s just weird.. usually call sign patches are worn with the first letter to the front regardless of side. Like wearing flags with the stars forward on either side. Also that’s a DCU Ranger tab. Clearly someone just fucking around but was probably SF then went to be a controller. That’s a lot of time in military schools that suck.

There was a Marine from my SALT that went to SFAS, was selected, and did an inter-service transfer to attend SFQC. Not sure, but I don't think SFQC is something other services can simply attend.

Last edited:
Back