Millennials Are Willing To Let Others Fight For Them

That title is obviously trying to bait a certain type of response. Millennials make up 25% of the US population, if 15% of that 25% would join up the military, that's 12 million. The US armed forces has only 2 million active and reserve soldiers. 12 million would be enough to fill every job in the military six-fold. How is that not enough? Do you think generation X or the baby boomers would join up more? They're too old. The tweens in of generation Z certainly wouldn't join up either.

You'd need a protracted example of someone pushing unnecessary military inventions coupled with a flat out refusal to join before I'd reach some of the conclusions reached in this thread.
Amusingly that describes many of our republican politicians.

The military is a criminal organization. Until the United States withdraws it's bases from foreign countries, stops instituting enlistment contracts, and holds people criminally accountable for political maneuvers that led to wars in Iraq, the military should face a Constitutional moratorium.

The military is a criminal organization. Until the United States withdraws it's bases from foreign countries, stops instituting enlistment contracts, and holds people criminally accountable for political maneuvers that led to wars in Iraq, the military should face a Constitutional moratorium.

hi MikeArmyquitted

Anyone who joins the US military at this point is either out of their fucking minds, or desperate for a job. I say let those people go be crazy and desperate, leave me out of it

I loved that shit and would have stayed for life if I was physically able. Some men just like that shit bro.

And there was no draft-dodging during the boomer's college years? LOL

Mike's new account.

Welcome back.

Amusingly that describes many of our republican politicians.

Actually it describes nearly all politicians, but don't let you leftist lens get in the way of truth

What about millenials whoe were in the military, but still think that invading middle eastern countries is a bad idea?

Actually it describes nearly all politicians, but don't let you leftist lens get in the way of truth
The conflicts we're currently involved in were pushed by GOP chicken hawks.

What about millenials whoe were in the military, but still think that invading middle eastern countries is a bad idea?

The structure of the military is designed around "following orders," so sadly the only true heroes of the Iraq/Afghanistan wars were the military members that didn't deploy and accepted bullshit consequences. Hopefully in the future, our Presidents and politicians are those heroes that refused to deploy. Following orders is not an excuse.

The structure of the military is designed around "following orders," so sadly the only true heroes of the Iraq/Afghanistan wars were the military members that didn't deploy and accepted bullshit consequences. Hopefully in the future, our Presidents and politicians are those heroes that refused to deploy. Following orders is not an excuse.

I dont see how volunteering and then refusing to honor your commitment would make someone a hero. Sounds more like they are bitching out once life gets a little tough.

The US has "germanized" its army in the sense of the late Roman Empire. Look at mikearmyquitte up in here. Once the citizenry of your nations loses its connection to the military it is basically the end of a nation's ability to conduct significant operations.

The Roman army was the most powerful numerically and technologically up until the day the empire fell, but it had absolutely no support from the Roman populace because its officers and men were outsourced to barbarian tribes. Legions would just sit in place while barbarian armies sacked Rome. Why would they risk their lives for a bunch of fat, ungrateful Romans.

We basically treat our volunteers like the Romans treated the Germans. They are ostracized from society, refused medical care and financial support, openly attacked by large portions of the population. If we weren't beating up incompetents like arab armies we'd see just how quickly our morale would break.

I dont see how volunteering and then refusing to honor your commitment would make someone a hero. Sounds more like they are bitching out once life gets a little tough.

You summed up Mike's entire life.

He made is like a week into basic before he tried hanging himself. Guy is a legend imo.

The US has "germanized" its army in the sense of the late Roman Empire. Look at mikearmyquitte up in here. Once the citizenry of your nations loses its connection to the military it is basically the end of a nation's ability to conduct significant operations.

The Roman army was the most powerful numerically and technologically up until the day the empire fell, but it had absolutely no support from the Roman populace because its officers and men were outsourced to barbarian tribes. Legions would just sit in place while barbarian armies sacked Rome. Why would they risk their lives for a bunch of fat, ungrateful Romans.

We basically treat our volunteers like the Romans treated the Germans. They are ostracized from society, refused medical care and financial support, openly attacked by large portions of the population. If we weren't beating up incompetents like arab armies we'd see just how quickly our morale would break.

The United States has intentionally created a "professional military," which creates a culture of elitism and ego contrary to the very purpose of the organization. The founding fathers, who created the Constitution that these very military people swear an Oath, wrote about their concern for the military becoming large and its own entity. It was never designed for how it is being currently used. People against the war in Iraq supported a draft since they realize that the military isn't questioned like it should be because membership isn't forced. However, I do feel bad for those that enlisted based on bad intel or ignorance. They are trapped. Society doesn't shun veterans or politicians responsible like it should, so another Vietnam or Iraq can just as easily happen in the future.

Good for milliennials. If there was something worth fighting for them I'm sure they'd be signing up in droves. No point in throwing your life away in some desert fighting for big business.

Good for milliennials. If there was something worth fighting for them I'm sure they'd be signing up in droves. No point in throwing your life away in some desert fighting for big business.

The problem is they are supporting the military and saying they are for intervention in the Middle East. I think, the military needs to be viewed as the enemy in the public's eyes. Anything else and the mistakes of Iraq and Vietnam will continue to happen.

The problem is they are supporting the military and saying they are for intervention in the Middle East. I think, the military needs to be viewed as the enemy in the public's eyes. Anything else and the mistakes of Iraq and Vietnam will continue to happen.

Have any examples of a functioning society that treats their military like an enemy?

Have any examples of a functioning society that treats their military like an enemy?

Well, the public outrage to the travesty of Vietnam led to the pulling out of that atrocity before even more needless deaths. A well-functioning society shouldn't mindlessly support the military like they do now. The irony is a society that questions the military, and even those that treated vets like dirts, saves military lives, ie Vietnam.

Back