Social Minimum Wage now at $20 an hour in California

Minimum Wage was $4.25 for my first job... Pretty much what this equals out to in Cali.
$3.35 and $3.80 here . . . that bump to $4.25 was pretty awesome. I didn't know what to do when I got a job in college that was supplemented by a federal grant and made like $8 or $10 an hour. Of course I could only work 20hrs/week max when in school, but during the summers those 40hr work weeks were nice.

Isn’t this the same story every single time minimum wage is raised? When I first started working minimum wage in my state was $5.15/hour. Shortly after I started they raised the state minimum wage to $5.50 and all the same “get ready for prices to skyrocket and mass layoffs” arguments poured in. Nothing changed then, and nothing will change now. Not even sure what minimum wage is now but it’s probably not far off from what it is in California.

$3.14 in Virginia when I lived there. Oh hey look the economy didnt implode when it doubled!

And now you've devolved into anti-vax retardation

nothing says liberalism, freedom, and sticking up for the working class by forcing an experimental vaccine and threatening their jobs and livelihoods.

eddie-murphy-ok.gif

nothing says liberalism, freedom, and sticking up for the working class by forcing an experimental vaccine and threatening their jobs and livelihoods.

eddie-murphy-ok.gif

Yeah, thanks Trump!! Taking a million dollars in "campaign contributions" from Big Pharma so we can have these evil disgusting experimental vaccines!!

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics...-food-chains-20-minimum-wage-law-takes-effect

Mass Layoffs Begin At California Fast Food Chains As $20 Minimum Wage Law Takes Effect​

This result shouldn't surprise anyone. Inflation has driven up operational costs for businesses across the US and shrunk profit margins for major food chains in the past few years. This has led to higher menu prices (like the "$18 Big Mac") and slowing sales for every major fast food company. Another anchor dragging on the restaurant business in many regions was at least two years of covid stimulus coupled with rent moratoriums, creating aggressive labor shortages and raising wages in upwards of $16 per hour for brand new no-skill employees.

Small chains and mom-and-pop businesses simply can't compete. Larger chains raised prices but have also been forced to reduce employees and labor costs through automation, but the layoffs are just getting started.

Enter California's "FAST Recovery Act" passed into law in 2022 and going into effect in April of this year - The legislation requires a particular set of food chains dealing in certain kinds of products outlined in the law to raise their minimum wages (already at $16 an hour on average) to $20 an hour. The income increase is limited to chains that have 60 or more locations in the state of California (meaning, the combined number of locations regardless of who owns them must be higher than 60) Keep in mind that while many of these chains are associated with international corporations, they are owned and run by franchisees; they are still family run businesses.

<seedat>
.interesting article about how "mass layoffs begin" without citing any mass layoffs that have begun.

Yeah, thanks Trump!! Taking a million dollars in "campaign contributions" from Big Pharma so we can have these evil disgusting experimental vaccines!!

quick googling sherbro. not a gotcha, i mean it's meaningless, we can probably do this to each other all day with any stat in any topic. but the left only care about force and treating citizens like they're fucking peasants, and the voters have been conditioned to want it.

Big Pharma Backs Joe Biden​

Former Vice President Joe Biden is winning the race for donations from Big Pharma but experts and industry stakeholders doubt his plans will successfully lower drug prices or address underlying issues in the industry.

The pharmaceuticals and health products industry has donated more than $5.9 million to Biden's presidential campaign, according to OpenSecrets.org, a site run by the Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks political donations.

President Donald Trump has garnered less than $1.5 million in donations from the industry, based upon FEC figures up to September 21. This stark contrast may be explained by the widespread criticism of Trump's approach to drug pricing.

quick googling sherbro. not a gotcha, i mean it's meaningless, we can probably do this to each other all day with any stat in any topic. but the left only care about force and treating citizens like they're fucking peasants, and the voters have been conditioned to want it.

Big Pharma Backs Joe Biden​

Former Vice President Joe Biden is winning the race for donations from Big Pharma but experts and industry stakeholders doubt his plans will successfully lower drug prices or address underlying issues in the industry.

The pharmaceuticals and health products industry has donated more than $5.9 million to Biden's presidential campaign, according to OpenSecrets.org, a site run by the Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks political donations.

President Donald Trump has garnered less than $1.5 million in donations from the industry, based upon FEC figures up to September 21. This stark contrast may be explained by the widespread criticism of Trump's approach to drug pricing.

Deflect, nothing to do with covid vaccines

you brought up donations and they donated more. lol, you're deflecting.

You brought up the covid vax, I brought up who was responsible for it. You aren't arguing with that, just trying to say Biden is taking donations worse, because you're guy did that lol

"let's compare big pharma campaign donations. NO, NOT LIKE THAT!"

No one said to compare anything, you just need to say that because of who is responsible for the vaxx.

Last edited:
I am not even sure anyone could live in most of Cali no $20 an hour. If some of you think that is a lot, you haven't been to Cali.

I am not even sure anyone could live in most of Cali no $20 an hour. If some of you think that is a lot, you haven't been to Cali.

We were recently in San Diego and parked downtown, $18 and we weren't there for longer than 1.5hrs. Imagine thinking people should get paid the cost of parking if they work at one of these places that's downtown.

Oh yeah I forgot, some jobs are only meant for kids and retards.

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics...-food-chains-20-minimum-wage-law-takes-effect

Mass Layoffs Begin At California Fast Food Chains As $20 Minimum Wage Law Takes Effect​

This result shouldn't surprise anyone. Inflation has driven up operational costs for businesses across the US and shrunk profit margins for major food chains in the past few years. This has led to higher menu prices (like the "$18 Big Mac") and slowing sales for every major fast food company. Another anchor dragging on the restaurant business in many regions was at least two years of covid stimulus coupled with rent moratoriums, creating aggressive labor shortages and raising wages in upwards of $16 per hour for brand new no-skill employees.

Small chains and mom-and-pop businesses simply can't compete. Larger chains raised prices but have also been forced to reduce employees and labor costs through automation, but the layoffs are just getting started.

Enter California's "FAST Recovery Act" passed into law in 2022 and going into effect in April of this year - The legislation requires a particular set of food chains dealing in certain kinds of products outlined in the law to raise their minimum wages (already at $16 an hour on average) to $20 an hour. The income increase is limited to chains that have 60 or more locations in the state of California (meaning, the combined number of locations regardless of who owns them must be higher than 60) Keep in mind that while many of these chains are associated with international corporations, they are owned and run by franchisees; they are still family run businesses.

<seedat>
This is a really shitty article filled with lots of speculation but no actual information. What the article says does not match the headline.
.interesting article about how "mass layoffs begin" without citing any mass layoffs that have begun.
Yeah pretty garbage article. I would be embarrassed to source something so poorly written.

there is no end game, the winners will never give it up, capitalism eats us all

I started of like most when I was 14 working minimum wage jobs and before that working on farms. Those are entry level positions.
Blah blah blah everybody has a right to demand what they want to be paid and what they are worth just because yoi went the"honorable" way or what ever you try to say does not matter

I don't know, in all honestly, what a happy medium is. I was taking issue with your declaration that just because you were able to advance, everyone should be expected to. What if doctors had the same attitude? You need heart surgery? Do it yourself. Just because a doctor put himself through medical school obviously means you should have been able to do the same, so what do you need a doctor for? Everyone is capable of being a doctor, apparently.

And if I'm 'on the side' that thinks that someone who is trying to be a value to society by working any kind of job should be able to afford a roof over their heads and a few beans on the table, then I'll take it.

giphy.gif

It’s actually only fast food workers and for the major chains.

Why California decided fast food workers were deserving of a significantly higher minimum wage than say somebody making less than $20 an hour working on new construction in California, I’m sure I don’t know.

But you’ll see significant staff cuts over the next couple years. Slower service. Many places in California already kept trimmed down staff.
Burger flippers aren’t the big swinging dicks of the California working class all of a sudden. The only thing certain is that the suits will make up the difference .

I too had the Starbucks experience this morning. The least they can do is put the stupid tip pad away now that they are officially grossly overpaid at the minimum.

There are people working construction for less than twenty an hour? I made fifteen an hour doing that thirty years ago.

This is a really shitty article filled with lots of speculation but no actual information. What the article says does not match the headline.

Yeah pretty garbage article. I would be embarrassed to source something so poorly written.
We were recently in San Diego and parked downtown, $18 and we weren't there for longer than 1.5hrs. Imagine thinking people should get paid the cost of parking if they work at one of these places that's downtown.

Oh yeah I forgot, some jobs are only meant for kids and retards.

It's Zerohedge, what did you guys expect?

They should be called Plutocracy.com.

Back