Media MMA community including Chael Sonnen seems to be picking Strickland

Pros pick:

Strickland= Pettis, Hafez, Kelleher, Hooper, Stoltzfus, Horth, Castaneda, Bautista, Nicolau, Magny, Brown, Yadong, Wilson, Ogden.
DDP= Craig, Machado, Jacoby, Barriault.

Well, the second pick literally says "i never watched a DDP fight". What is the credit of such "pro" picks ?

DDP is a technical brawler in my opinion.
That is a good trait to have in the ufc. The problem is that Sticklands striking and his defense are very sharp and composed.

My prediction is Sean makes DDP look technically sloppy. He will get frustrated and in turn more aggressive which will open up many opportunities for Sean. Sean w make it look easy, and then the excuses of ddp wasn't that good to begin with will run rampant.

Dricus is incredibly technical behind the drunken fighting style. That is why people have a hard time reading him. He has one-punch knockout power, which Strickland does not. Also, Dricus will be mixing it up with takedowns, kicks and clinches etc. If anyone is thinking they will be trading punches the whole fight, that simply would never happen.

Makes sense of course.

But whether I agree or not with whomever. I only watch those pro prediction compilations for entertainment purposes. Just because they’re pros. That doesn’t mean they’re any better at predicting fights than I am.

yeah, while i can understand the logic behind picking Strickland, i'm still backing DDP.

Chael, respectfully, this was treason.

Please pick DDP as we cannot afford to lose another American champ.

He doesn’t have the cardio for more than 2-3 rounds

He submitted Darren Till in round 3 who trained extensively with Khamzat for 2+ years and that was before his nose surgery. His cardio still held up when he cashed in everything in the round 1 with 60+ punches in just 30 seconds where the ref refused to stop the fight and the bell saved Till. He still was able to keep it going for another 2 rounds and got the submission. People sleeping on his cardio are going to be surprised.

Last edited:
That is a good trait to have in the ufc. The problem is that Sticklands striking and his defense are very sharp and composed.

My prediction is Sean makes DDP look technically sloppy. He will get frustrated and in turn more aggressive which will open up many opportunities for Sean. Sean w make it look easy, and then the excuses of ddp wasn't that good to begin with will run rampant.

it's going to be hard to pretend like DDP was never good when he just eviscerated the 2nd best MW in Whittaker 1 fight ago.

it's going to be hard to pretend like DDP was never good when he just eviscerated the 2nd best MW in Whittaker 1 fight ago.

They will say Robert wasn't himself in that fight. They will do anything to discredit Sean's win.

They will say Robert wasn't himself in that fight. They will do anything to discredit Sean's win.

sure, but those people are not dealing in reality and shouldn't be taken seriously. this is coming from someone who is backing DDP. if he loses, he loses. unless something controversial happens in the fight, anyone who discredits Sean if he beats DDP is just a hater and their opinion has no value.

A lot of people just can't get past DDP's awkward style. He's going to run through Stickland.

Vegas also has Strickland as the slight favorite.

Its a wierd one. I guess most people pick the champion anyways.

SEAN WANTS TO MAKE CANADA GREAT AGAIN

MODS RUSHING TO DELETE THIS POST IN 3...2...1

Yeah I can visualise that. But then I can also visualise Sean getting knocked the fuck out in round 1!or 2!!!

This is a tough one for DDP imo. Strickland's the better striker and he is squirmy up-close.

For me it comes down to the fact that I can imagine DDP finishing Strickland, but I have a much harder time imagining Strickland finishing DDP. I think their styles are an interesting contrast but Sean is in proper danger any time DDP can find a home for a good shot - which I think becomes more likely if Dricus can manage to take Sean down. If he can't, he could get picked apart and lose a lopsided decision.

I have it 60/40 DDP via more ways to win.

For all Stricklands talk about going to war and doing the man dance, he fights really smart. I think his ability to stick to the basics, combined with his insane cardio and durability will bring him the victory tomorrow night.

I think that’s the correct pick, but I really want Du Plessis to pull it off…

I watched it for the first time today and I found Whitaker was very far from peak Whitaker.
Peak Bobby was not just a skilled well rounded fighter, he had a special energy and fighting spirit. That wasn't there at all.

Pros' picks aren't any more accurate than posters on here.
Beat me to it.

Reasonably conceivable!

If they both perform (based on what we’ve seen) at their best, I’d favor Strickland due to him keeping everything high and tight.
If we see him improve and mix up his targeting better than he did Vs. Izzy, we may get an early (first couple of rounds) TKO/KO.

If DDP shows us anywhere near the rate of improvement that we saw in him in his previous fight, he may very well catch the champ and put him out.

That said, I found Bobby Knuckles performance quite frustrating.
He didn’t mix up strikes to the body when the Afrikaner was covering up his head; and didn’t attempt to strike when disengaging from the clinch.

Back