Last nights fight proved that Sean Strickland is not a fluke

I 100% agree with your last sentence. Personally I don’t need belts or long reigning champs for my fights to be exciting or to be invested in a fight. Whether Jon reigned for 10, 20, 30 years it wouldn’t have mattered to me. There was plenty of exciting fights. I don’t think anybody expected Strickland to hold the belt for long.
I actually thought would Sean surprise people and have 2 or 3 defenses at least, and well, he was a coinflip away from being en route to that. I can be invested in fights, but there's always the tension associated with the "will this be the time so and so is dethroned", and then when they eventually are, the moment is cemented as historical. Title defenses create stars, and when stars blow up, it's dramatic. Think of Ronda/Holly. One of the biggest moments in UFC history that wouldn't have been nearly as big if Ronda hadn't been running through everyone and entered the fight a massive favorite as a result.

Just my preference. If all is well and good to you even if the above situations don't come to fruition, then who am I to argue?

Reactions: Yep
He is legit top 5 MW in this era.

I underrated the shit out of him in the past, but he will be competitive against any of the current division.

Super good defensively, maybe the best jab in the biz right now. His jab alone busted Dricus up gnarly.

If he can get a bit more offensive, he can make another run.
I thought he abandoned the teep kick too early. It was working and then he stopped using it. Between the jab and the teep kick he could've had DDP confused the whole fight. Sean has improved alot over the past few years. I was impressed with his jab, his defense including leg kick defense and his ability to not get controlled after getting taken down. He popped back up every time and even had a nice switch there as well.

Back