More weird sleep paralysis dreams

Never had it. Sounds rough. Pretty sure peak human beings aren’t afflicted by these things.

Yeah this condition has been around for centuries. Hence this painting for example:

screen-shot-2015-01-15-at-15-18-08.png

There are some similar ones. It also used to be known as 'old hag syndrome' because most would see an old woman either in their room or sitting on their chest.

I haven't had it for several years now. But the last few times were quite disturbing and all the same. I'd be asleep then suddenly I was looking at my body at some weird angle (ie out of my body) and I could see this old crone shuffling closer and closer to me. She would stoop over my face and drop this long centipede looking thing into my mouth and I would wake up and have a coughing fit for around 5 minutes or more. It legit felt like I was choking on something. I had this at least 5 times or so.
I've had it in the past but it was the usual can't move, a dark figure sitting on my chest or standing in the corner watching me. The ones with the old crone were fucking next level.

Apparently you are prone to them if you are over tired (like somewhat sleep deprived for several nights) or using a sleep drug. I can attest that when I have had sleep paralysis I have often had these circumstances.

Ive seen her too. More often though you cant see her, just know shes there

I had it too long time ago. But it happened always when I had less sleep the day before. So I went to a club, slept only a little and then the next night I was very tired and then it sometimes happened. At times it was hard to get out of it. And then suddenly I felt my arms like the blood was going there and I could move again.

I had it often when I was overweight. Even thought I knew what to do, it was still not a pleasant experience every time. Once I lost 70 pounds, it's gone. I sleep like a baby.

There have been several great threads on sleep paralysis in the past, but the search function seems perpetually broken and I can't seem to find any of them.

I have been suffering from sleep paralysis most of my adult life - it doesn't happen very often (3 times per year roughly), but when it does, it is extreme and leaves me shaken the next day.

Normally I feel an intense terror and I am acutely aware that it is happening (something in the room with me, feeling like something is touching me or talking to me), and eventually I force myself awake in a panic.

Last night's episode was very different, in that something "followed" me across dreams. I would bet my bottom dollar that I woke up several times (to go to the washroom, put out the dog etc.), and each time I would fall back asleep, this "thing" would reappear in my dreams. The logical side of me knows that it isn't possible, and I was probably asleep the whole time, but my goodness it seamed so real.

What was also different about this dream is that there was no sense of (immediate) panic or dread, I just noticed what looked like a woman standing in the distance looking at me. She didn't look entirely human - her eyes were way too large for her head and her skin was milk white. In every dream that I could remember, she would just be standing at the periphery of whatever I was doing in my dream, but getting progressively closer each time. In the last dream that actually startled me awake, she smiled, and she had rows of teeth like a shark.

While it is technically not the scariest episode of sleep paralysis I have ever had, it is the one that left me the most bothered. Like I said, I would bet money that I got up on multiple occasions, and even made note of the weird dreams I was having, only to have it continue when I went back to bed.

I know a lot of you suffer from sleep paralysis, so I would love to hear your stories as well.

That's terrifying. Going to sleep would be daunting if I knew I could be experiencing one of those. It's good they don't happen too much for you.....does anything work? Therapy? Hypnosis (no joking, I heard hypnosis can do things like even get people to stop smoking), or anything else that can help? Or is it so infrequent you just kind of endure them as they happen?

There have been several great threads on sleep paralysis in the past, but the search function seems perpetually broken and I can't seem to find any of them.

I have been suffering from sleep paralysis most of my adult life - it doesn't happen very often (3 times per year roughly), but when it does, it is extreme and leaves me shaken the next day.

Normally I feel an intense terror and I am acutely aware that it is happening (something in the room with me, feeling like something is touching me or talking to me), and eventually I force myself awake in a panic.

Last night's episode was very different, in that something "followed" me across dreams. I would bet my bottom dollar that I woke up several times (to go to the washroom, put out the dog etc.), and each time I would fall back asleep, this "thing" would reappear in my dreams. The logical side of me knows that it isn't possible, and I was probably asleep the whole time, but my goodness it seamed so real.

What was also different about this dream is that there was no sense of (immediate) panic or dread, I just noticed what looked like a woman standing in the distance looking at me. She didn't look entirely human - her eyes were way too large for her head and her skin was milk white. In every dream that I could remember, she would just be standing at the periphery of whatever I was doing in my dream, but getting progressively closer each time. In the last dream that actually startled me awake, she smiled, and she had rows of teeth like a shark.

While it is technically not the scariest episode of sleep paralysis I have ever had, it is the one that left me the most bothered. Like I said, I would bet money that I got up on multiple occasions, and even made note of the weird dreams I was having, only to have it continue when I went back to bed.

I know a lot of you suffer from sleep paralysis, so I would love to hear your stories as well.

Probably a sign you were molested as a child

I experience sleep paralysis quite a lot but never once have I experienced the "person/entity in the room with me" thing that most people seem to experience. For me, it's just paralysis. I hate it and it's uncomfortable and it takes time to come out of, but that's it.

Back