Mortal Kombat XL still worth it?

NRG

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking for a fighting game and MK XL is really cheap now. I'm tempted to buy it because I read a lot of nasty stuff about Tekken 7 and MvC Infinite being crap online.

DBZ and Injustice 2 are still a little out of my pocket for now and I'm trying not to consider them.

What I really want is a little longevity because I'm not buying another fighting game for a while.

What do you guys think?

Don't believe what you heard, go get Tekken 7. If you prefer 2D get Dragonball Fighterz.

I got MKXL and played it maybe 3 times...

Yeah I picked up MkXL and I've played it like 4 times. There's just something off bout it. Get something else.

It was just on sale on Steam last week, and I picked it up, but haven't touched it yet.

Not sure why I bought it, really, since I didn't even really like the gameplay of MK9 (the concept of which I loved).

I played the shit out of 1 & 2. Tried to get into 3, but I hated the run button. I played and bought some here and there. I think the last one I played a lot was mk deception.

Then I got, I think 9. Played a lot of it and thought I'd play the shit out of 10. Did a lil of the story, tried some fatalities, and that was it.

As the game progressed with technology, I may not like it as much as I should. In mk 1 and 2, every character had all basic movements. Their special moves and fatalities were what was unique. Making combos because of them was elite. It was an even playing field, but with enough practice, you can string together killer shit.

Now, it's complicated. Sure, you can just practice and develop the combo skills for each character, whom have unique fight styles, but it's more WORK than anything. When I play, I play with the same classic concepts I had in the 1st original games. since that's out of date, I just lost interest.

Try BlazBlue, every character feels different and system is easy to learn and hard to master

Try BlazBlue, every character feels different and system is easy to learn and hard to master
I disagree. In my opinion it's one of the most complicated fighting game series out there. Not only does every character have different moves they have different systems and meters. I have the latest in the series and never could get into it.

It's incredibly well done, with an amazing cast. MK XL is phenomenal, and as someone who owns all the of the games being suggested in it's place? None of them even come close to doing what MK XL does, it really stands on it's own.

MKXL went from having the shittiest netcode to one of the BEST after they revamped their netcode to something very similar to GGPO. I don't know if there are a lot of players left though.

Mortal Kombat X was worth $60 on day one. That game is badass. One of my favorite fighting games easily. Kind of surprised by some of the negative responses in here.

I disagree. In my opinion it's one of the most complicated fighting game series out there. Not only does every character have different moves they have different systems and meters. I have the latest in the series and never could get into it.
Different strokes for different folks, I can't stand Street fighter, everyone plays like Ryu it like guile, it feels great having a strategy for each character

I'm taking this generation of consoles off until Black Friday 2019, when PS4 Pros will be cheap because the PS5 will be out, and probably picking up 12-15 of the best games.

MKXL is one of the games I'm looking forward to playing the most.

Different strokes for different folks, I can't stand Street fighter, everyone plays like Ryu it like guile, it feels great having a strategy for each character
I can't make any sense of the Ryu/Guile part of your sentence

I can't make any sense of the Ryu/Guile part of your sentence
Sorry, auto correct, Ryu or like guile.

I meant Shoto-clones with ryu (have you seen the Ken player flowchart? It's funny because it's true)

Charge chargers like guile, bison, chunli, they play basically the same

I meant Shoto-clones with ryu (have you seen the Ken player flowchart? It's funny because it's true)

<36>

Thanks everyone, I ended up getting Tekken 7. I discovered I had some money from the rewards system and paid the same I would've on MKXL.

Like @Crimson Fury said, I went for the one that should have more players and tbh, I like Tekken more.

That's what makes it competitive. Hate to compare, but it's like NASCAR. Everyone has the same fight style (almost, but in MK 1&2, all the basic moves are the same), so you have to be better at the same tools as anyone else.

The story is cool. It was interesting watching all the old characters aging, having kids and stuff.

Back