Most boring fight in MMA history?

Rose vs Carla 2.
This.

Many boring fights at least had the tension of a possible KO or finish watching live. This one was almost guaranteed decision before the fight started, so for nothing to happen on top of that was paricularly egregious.

Gabe Gonzaga vs Kevin Jordan at UFC 56. Not sure if it's the worst in mma history but it's arguably the worst in ufc history.

The pain was real before we had weekly events and had to wait 3-4 weeks between cards and then had to endure shit storms like this match

Pretty much all of Colby's fights when he's not getting his ass beat by Usman

The year is 2006, I had just graduated high school and it was the summer before college. Its Saturday July 8th 2006 (social media is in its infancy, so we still actually showed up to places to socialize and talk to women) and im at a party (which was just an excuse by the homeowner/host to use the PPV/his house as clout for pussy).

The whole house is hyped, they just seen Tito Ortiz tko Ken Shamrock and talk mad shit, the crowd used the co-main as a staging point to get as drunk as possible before the main event starts. So then Arlovski walks out with his beard and jacked to the gils (natty) with highlights of the last two fights (a quick sub win and a tko loss, with him talking up the trilogy). Tim Sylvia is in the black and white pre-fight shot saying how he would love a late stoppage by the ref after he KO's Arlovski again because Arlovski is a bad person.

Fight starts, whole house is jumping aaaaaannnnnddddd I never got more drunk in my life in the 11 minutes that I was able to stay and stomach the fight. Til this day ill always remember that I owe UFC 61 for getting me so fucked up I ended up getting pussy and not remembering the experience except through texts with the girl the next day because I had to try her out again sober just to see if she could be the future wife.

Real MMA stories with Still Holdin.

Lots of terrible takes here to think the most boring fight in mma history has 2 men involved. I dont what it is but its definitely a wmma bout.

Lots of terrible takes here to think the most boring fight in mma history has 2 men involved. I dont what it is but its definitely a wmma bout.

Id argue theres prob plenty of fights that could contend on the womens side its just its not watched or watched as much as the ones mentioned because they were main events/main attractions.

Or Ken Shamrock vs Dan Severn II
To be fair, they had a last minute rule change that disallowed closed fist punches...and maybe other things. Blame the regulators and maybe promoters on that one. Shamrock-Severn #1 was short but a good, exiting fight.

Severn vs. Kimo was a boring bizzarefest. Two guys who almost always grappled had a 30-minute Aerobox session. The same Kimo who almost KO'd prime Bob Sapp a couple of years later couldn't hurt Severn at all. Boring and very fishy match.

Its certainly Dan Severn vs Ken Shamrock 2 , its horrific and I love Severn, he is one of the greatest HW's ever in MMA, his accomplishments are unmatched. But that fight was brutal to watch.
See my earlier post. They were subject to a last-minute rule change and IIRC even threatened with being arrested if they punched each other. That wasn't the fighters' fault in that case.

Namajunas vs Esparsa 2 an amateur fight disguised as a title fight. 25 min of feints and shadow boxing out of range. I’m not even sure how many times they made contact, but I have no plan to rewatch it ever. A “fight” like this necessitates purse deductions, yellow cards for inactivity and failure to engage, possibly DQ.

Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock had a major stinker. Any of Severn’s >30 min decision matches.

Good call. A lot of fights with a KO get a free pass even if they were absolute stinkers up until the finish.
Rashad vs. Chuck Liddell was like that. Rashad was more "elusive" in that fight than Machida ever was. Of course he flatlined a chinless Chuck at the end, and that's all anyone remembers.

Josh Thomson vs. Nate Diaz was also boring until the finish. Josh learned from Condit's fight with Nick not to engage....until he finally had an opening.

Both Woodley-Thompson fights were awful. Both guys afraid to engage. Rose-Esparza 2 was awful as well.

Condit Diaz.

Not literally worst but deserves a mention

Baby leg kicks from the Natural Born Killer...

I know it’s hip to shit on the Rose/Carla 2 fight because it’s so recent. And a lot of people in here shit on wmma, no matter what.

But EVERYBODY knew what Carla was going to try to do. The real head scratcher in that fight was Rose. Especially after seeing what Weili did to Carla. In 6 minutes Weili landed 1 less strike than Rose did in 25 minutes.

The fight was later revealed to hold a record that no fighter wants: the fewest combined total strikes in a five-round fight. According to MMA By The Numbers, the top five lowest output fights in UFC history are now as follows:
Rose Namajunas (38) vs. Carla Ezparza (30) - Total strikes: 68
https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/mma...ecord-lowest-strikes-landed-5-round-ufc-fight

In case you’re wondering..

1. Namajunas (38) vs. Esparza (30) - 68
2. Thompson (31) vs. Till (40) - 71
3. Silva (62) vs. Maia (11) - 73
4. Woodley (57) vs. Maia (29) - 86
5. Adesanya (48) vs. Romero (40) - 88

But P4P, and in pre-fight expectations. It has to be Ngannou vs Lewis. And it shouldn’t even be close, imo. Anybody trying to disagree probably hates wmma. Or they did NOT watch both fights. I can’t think of any other legit explanation.

If you’re not convinced..

Francis Ngannou KD 0 Sig. Str. 11 of 46 Sig. Str. % 23Total Str. 11 of 46 TD 0 TD% 0 Sub Att 0 Rev 0 Ctrl 0:00

Derrick Lewis
KD 0 Sig. Str. 20 of 54 Sig. Str. % 37Total Str. 20 of 54 TD 0 TD% 0 Sub Att 0 Rev 0 Ctrl 0:01

Lewis won by unanimous decision, doing so despite re-aggravating his back problems. If he’s to be forgiven for not throwing a lot due to his compromised health, then no one knows what in the world Ngannou was doing. Dana White says his ego is “out of control,” and if that’s the case then I’ve never seen someone’s ego get so big that they think they can win a fight by KO (excessive staring and feinting).

According to FIghtMetric, Ngannou landed 11 total strikes, whereas Lewis was credited with 20. Lewis only connected once to Ngannou’s head. Ngannou only threw 7 strikes in the opening round. Just how bad is this type of output?

FightMetric’s Michael Carroll listed the fewest combined strikes (which includes non-significant strikes) in UFC three-rounders, and Lewis vs. Ngannou is now second-fewest of all-time.

Fewest Combined Strikes Landed, Three-round UFC Fight
23 – Pulver vs. Roque (my edit.. This fight was in the year 2000)
31 – Lewis vs. Ngannou

So at that rate, in 6 full rounds.. Ngannou would have landed 22 strikes. Lewis would have landed 40. 62 in total.

In 6 full rounds Ngannou, and Lewis would STILL have landed FEWER strikes than Rose, and Carla did in 5 full rounds.

Ngannou/Lewis was NOT expected to make it to round two.

With proper context. There is no contestation.

Just my opinion.

Back