Most overrated bands of all time?

Might want to look into this a bit further.

Down, the band formed in 1991, has had a few different members over the years, but Phil Anselmo has always been the lead singer. I think you're confused, bud.

No, anytime anyone gives him a chance to mention how much better Down is than Pantera, he takes it lol. Down is fronted by the same lead singer that Pantera was, Phil Anselmo.

OK, I've got this worked out. I thought you've been referring to System Of A Down the whole time, due to the post you responded to.

OK, I've got this worked out. I thought you've been referring to System Of A Down the whole time, due to the post you responded to.

Uh, no. The first word I said in my post was "No" in response to his question. Guess you didn't read that part. :/

Also, the correct way to shorten System of a Down is SOAD, or S.O.A.D.

Arctic Monkeys

Straight garbage right there.

Literally the most underrated overrated band. Indie music is overrated but the Arctic Monkeys were not. Genius at their best, first two albums are unbelievable stuff. Humbug is great as well. Later stuff is a bit too manufactured for my liking.

Same with The Libertines who were outstanding for what was essentially an indie-punk band.

Oasis are kinda overrated just because they only have really had two good albums. So overrated career bur Definitely Maybe and What's the Story are absolute masterpieces unrivalled by pretty
much anything in rock.

Anything grunge is literal shit.

Metal is for teenagers and overrated. If you don't grow out of a metal stage you have some sort of freudian fixation.

The people who say The Beatles are overrated probably have some sort of metal fixation.

Radiohead are overrated and borderline trash material.

Most American bands (especially modern) are overrated apart from The Doors who I rate. The Strokes are overrated. The Black Keys are a worse Arctic Monkeys or Libertines but quite good.

Last edited:
This thread is showing a lot of people know nothing about music. U2 is the most over rated "classic rock" band of all time , case closed. Mediocre musicians with Toby Keith level song writing that only appeals or pull at the heart simpletons. To mention Floyd , Sabbath, The Stones ,The Eagles, or The Beatles is just pure lack of knowledge as they all have expansive musical catalogs that span decades. Nirvana is regarded by many people as being a mediocre band who wrote some really good music that served it's purpose. I don't remember them ever being touted as the most skilled band ever. As for Tool , they are a niche band that doesn't have very good mainstream appeal because most people don't appreciate Instrumentals and music composition, they have a rabid cult following. They are heads and shoulders better musicians then their contemporaries, they are not over rated. Disturbed, Linkin Park , Godsmack, Puddle of Mud, Creed, Alter Bridge these are all examples of over rated hack bands.

Literally the most underrated overrated band. Indie music is overrated but the Arctic Monkeys were not. Genius at their best, first two albums are unbelievable stuff. Humbug is great as well. Later stuff is a bit too manufactured for my liking.

Same with The Libertines who were outstanding for what was essentially an indie-punk band.

Oasis are kinda overrated just because they only have really had two good albums. So overrated career bur Definitely Maybe and What's the Story are absolute masterpieces unrivalled by pretty
much anything in rock.

Anything grunge is literal shit.

Metal is for teenagers and overrated. If you don't grow out of a metal stage you have some sort of freudian fixation.

The people who say The Beatles are overrated probably have some sort of metal fixation.

Radiohead are overrated and borderline trash material.

Most American bands (especially modern) are overrated apart from The Doors who I rate. The Strokes are overrated. The Black Keys are a worse Arctic Monkeys or Libertines but quite good.

I don't agree with you thoughts on metal to a certain degree. It's possible to appreciate metal. However, a lot of bands are simply trying way to hard to be "harder and heavier" than the rest. However, if you're applying that to those who only listen to metal, everything else is "Gay", then I agree.

I also agree on Radiohead, absolutely horrendous music.

As someone who doesn't listen to much punk or ska, I feel like what makes Sublime stand out is that they made a product accessible to a pop audience, such as myself.

Re: Wu-Tang, I just think they have a lot of really talented rappers in their group, and then you have RZA, who is a pretty good rapper in his own right, but one of the most influential producers of all the time. I just love the way the way they incorporated old-school soul and just the "grimeyness" of their sound. Also a lot of great storytellers in the group.

I don't really know why I wrote all that...I guess I felt I needed to defend why I feel Wu Tang is not overrated.

RZA, Raekwon and Ghostface are great. On this note, I'm gonna go ahead and say that Method Man is one of the most overrated rappers.

Nirvana- worst band ever beyond overrated I'm sorry to anyone that loves this band but it's just terrible "Rape me" Jesus tap dancing Christ I can't believe people enjoy this music you want good grunge listen to Bush

you had me until the last word you typed lol. bush? honestly, the entire grunge genre is pretty bad in general.

the older I get the more I think the Rolling Stones were vastly overrated. Everything after "Some Girls" would have been a failure if it weren't for their previous work and reputation. I also think the "rivalry" with the Beatles helped give them more legitimacy than they really deserved. None of them are exceptional musicians, Jagger is a subpar singer and they are as guilty of ripping off old R&B singers/songwriters than anyone.

Even if that's true, that still leaves them with 4 of the best records ever (Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St), 2 more superb records (Aftermath, Some Girls) that are better than any number of bands' greatest work. And that doesn't even include some of their most well-known songs (Jumpin Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women, Satisfaction).

Back