Muay thai is too overrated on these forums

Obvious troll (the comment about Karate - it didn't quote for some reason)

Well, this is a kickboxing & muaythai section, not just a kickboxing section or a only a muaythai one. So some were educated in a Muay Thai culture, some are educated in kickboxing. I think what"s important is to respect eachother and both sports! Unfortunately some of the Muay Thai fans or of the smaller kickboxing weight classes can"t do it. Actually they can"t even respect other Muay Thai fans. They argue between them.

Like what? At least I fought and trained on both muay thai and k-1 rules. Yeah, at amatuer level. But still....

You NEED to share that information when you first post the thread so people responding know you have experience, amateur or professional, it is still more experience than a lot of the people commenting have.

I disagree to a point, even though I do not follow K-1 or any Muay Thai I see it's use in MMA where it makes a great skillset to supplement a striking base which does a better job of integrating other aspects of fighting styles like boxing and kick boxing making it much more effective overall to MMA than regular Muay Thai events.

there are different reasons for muay thai being not so attractive to the big crowd as kickboxing and/or mma

mt in the stadiums is where the highest level is at and the weight classes just don't go higher than the lowest weight classes in the rest (western mostly) of the world......people like to see big(ger) guys fight and not the lowest weight class

this is a fact.....heavyweight divisions have always been very popular in comparison to the lowest weight classes.....even though the skill level is higher at the lowest weight classes

add to that the fact that muay thai promotors are just horrificly bad at their job.......they haven't made the right decisions to make the sport grow

add to that that mt iin Thailand is too much influenced by gamblers....for fucks sake...fighters go easy on each other for two rounds and when it becomes clear 1 fighter is better than the other......they both cruise to a decision, live to fight another day

this does not appeal to the big crowd.....people want to see comebacks......people want to see drama.......Andy ristie vs davit kiria.,....ristie was clearly the better fighter bet Kiria didn't give up and came back with a tko victory....in Thailand they usually just cruise to a decision.......and please don't quote this with video examples that prove me wrong.....for every example there are ten fold of examples that confirm my words

also the fights in the staidums are so poorly televised....everything looks crappy when in fact these are world class fighters

outside of thailand the attention for mt has died.....ever since k1 got big in the nineties.....the attention for mt has faded.....alot of dutch and french fighters for example chose to fight kickboxing or mma because the pay is better...........and if ya do stay at MT, ya have to be a midget because guys like Carnage wil always have a stain on their carreer for fighting mt guys in extremely weak divisions

as long as KB and MMA are paying better and have their shit together......MT will stay what it is: a national sport in thailand with a couple of good fighters abroad

Sounds legit

K-1 has become a form of Muay Thai with better boxing (although Thai people can box..) and less clinching. I don't know why people are so set to see it as something totally different. When in essence it's the same, but only the rules/scoring are a little different.

Like what? At least I fought and trained on both muay thai and k-1 rules. Yeah, at amatuer level. But still....
So did I. The fact that you fought doesn't mean you really understand what is going on.

there are different reasons for muay thai being not so attractive to the big crowd as kickboxing and/or mma

mt in the stadiums is where the highest level is at and the weight classes just don't go higher than the lowest weight classes in the rest (western mostly) of the world......people like to see big(ger) guys fight and not the lowest weight class

this is a fact.....heavyweight divisions have always been very popular in comparison to the lowest weight classes.....even though the skill level is higher at the lowest weight classes

add to that the fact that muay thai promotors are just horrificly bad at their job.......they haven't made the right decisions to make the sport grow

add to that that mt iin Thailand is too much influenced by gamblers....for fucks sake...fighters go easy on each other for two rounds and when it becomes clear 1 fighter is better than the other......they both cruise to a decision, live to fight another day

this does not appeal to the big crowd.....people want to see comebacks......people want to see drama.......Andy ristie vs davit kiria.,....ristie was clearly the better fighter bet Kiria didn't give up and came back with a tko victory....in Thailand they usually just cruise to a decision.......and please don't quote this with video examples that prove me wrong.....for every example there are ten fold of examples that confirm my words

also the fights in the staidums are so poorly televised....everything looks crappy when in fact these are world class fighters

outside of thailand the attention for mt has died.....ever since k1 got big in the nineties.....the attention for mt has faded.....alot of dutch and french fighters for example chose to fight kickboxing or mma because the pay is better...........and if ya do stay at MT, ya have to be a midget because guys like Carnage wil always have a stain on their carreer for fighting mt guys in extremely weak divisions

as long as KB and MMA are paying better and have their shit together......MT will stay what it is: a national sport in thailand with a couple of good fighters abroad

This is more well-written, logical post I've ever seen you make about Muay Thai, and I have to mostly agree for better or for worse. Shame it was made in such a dud of a thread though. :redface:

Well, this is a kickboxing & muaythai section, not just a kickboxing section or a only a muaythai one. So some were educated in a Muay Thai culture, some are educated in kickboxing. I think what"s important is to respect eachother and both sports! Unfortunately some of the Muay Thai fans or of the smaller kickboxing weight classes can"t do it. Actually they can"t even respect other Muay Thai fans. They argue between them.

yes, you are right. But here were too many muay thai fans that talked too much shit about kickboxing(k-1 rules) and they did this in a very arogant way and with an air of superiority. They are like; "Kickboxing is for stupid people who can't understand things and technical fights." What technique? Their boxing is horrible and also the dynamics isn't there. K-1 rules fighters know also how to clinch very well, but they don't abuse of this. Actually a lot of k-1 rules fighters are very fast and efficiently with thier clinch.

For exemple, look at this user and his signature: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/members/cocakillbana/

Also this guy claim that Kickboxing is a shitty sport. Actually he says kickboxing is one of the shitest sport ever and that only muay thay is worthy.

And they (muay thai fans) say that we are stupid.

Muay thai isn't a bad fighting sport. Actually is pretty good, but not as good as muay thai fans are acting and also not as good as kickboxing(k-1 rules). He looks boring and ugly only compared to k-1 rules.

Last edited:
yes, you are right. But here were too many muay thai fans that talked too much shit about kickboxing(k-1 rules) and they did this in a very arogant way and with an air of superiority. They are like; "Kickboxing is for stupid people who can't understand things and technical fights." What technique? Their boxing is horrible and also the dynamics isn't there. K-1 rules fighters know also how to clinch very well, but they don't abuse of this. Actually a lot of k-1 rules fighters are very fast and efficiently with thier clinch.

For exemple, look at this user and his signature: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/members/cocakillbana/

Also this guy claim that Kickboxing is a shitty sport. Actually he says kickboxing is one of the shitest sport ever and that only muay thay is worthy.

And they (muay thai fans) say that we are stupid.
The only fighters in K-1 with a good clinch game are guys who come from a Muay Thai background. If you really think Muay Thai fighters have horrible technique just because they practice less boxing I don't think you really understand what's going on.

I was many times KO'D. I think over 5 times in sparing and about 6 times in fights. Also I was also KO'D over 20 times on street and bar fights. Bar fights are no fair, you usually get hit by someone who is behind you. I think overall probably I got ko'd by 30-40 times. You don't feel anything when you are ko'd. But after this.... your head hurt.

lol

The Muay Thai are disrespectful, indeed. Even the fans of the smaller kickboxing weight classes in general. You can"t say a division is poor without bringing arguments. And if you bring them counter-arguments they still bash.

I don"t remember arguing with somebody on the former kickboxing section. I thought they are intelligent like the stand-up fighting fans.

Then some on this forum are attacking kickboxing promotions by comparing them with Muay Thai ones. It"s like that, then it"s shit and so on..

Wow...

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Before you go bashing a sport with roots, history and heritage longer and stronger than most sports around today, you should do your homework. You sound like an idiot.

Why even create such a stupid post???? Stick to what you like and leave those who love the sport alone. I don't personally like watching BJJ matches but you don't see me or anyone who has any respect for anything bashing grappling tournaments...

What's the matter? Didn't mommy and daddy pay you enough attention as a kid?

Seriously though... shut up

you want to insinuate that I suffered brain damage after those KO'S? IT's funny, but not really. My mind is still here.
If you really have been Ko'd 30 to 40 times I am 100% sure you have brain damage. There no way in hell you wouldn't have any. That's a scientific fact.

you want to insinuate that I suffered brain damage after those KO'S? IT's funny, but not really. My mind is still here.

Agreed. You couldn't troll very effectively if you had major brain damage.

Honestly, being KO'd that much would leave you so bad. Chances are you would die before you hit 30 KO's.

If you really have been Ko'd 30 to 40 times I am 100% sure you have brain damage. There no way in hell you wouldn't have any. That's a scientific fact.

In over 20 years. It's not like I was ko'd in every month or something. And I didn't take many beatings.

Last edited:
I prefer MT over kickboxing but I understand why kickboxing is more attractive to most people I doubt MT will ever be as popular as boxing, MMA or even kickboxing outside of Thailand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back