muay thai vs mma stance

freaky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You know how Muay Thai fighters have their lead leg bouncing up and down in preparation of a leg check or neb? How come mma fighters don't do that? Uriah Hall sometimes do that but most people don't do that. How come?

Me personally, I can never check a kick in time unless I'm bouncing it.

You know how Muay Thai fighters have their lead leg bouncing up and down in preparation of a leg check or neb? How come mma fighters don't do that? Uriah Hall sometimes do that but most people don't do that. How come?

One, they don't do that all the time in Muay Thai. Two, it's MMA, takedowns need to be defended and punches are more frequently thrown than kicks. Those two things the bouncing front leg doesn't lend itself to.

Single leg shoots works much better if it is the only leg the opponent have on the ground. So do sweeps. Neither sweeps (karate style ashi barai -machidas speciality) nor takedowns are allowed under MT rules. What works well under one set of rules do not necessarily work equally well under other different rule sets.

Of course these guys are right, but it is a huge pet peeve of mine. Very few fighters routinely check kicks against guys know for leg kicks and it makes me fucking mental. Just because you are in an MMA stance doesn't mean you can't check a kick once and a while. If you're fighting Jose Aldo, maybe you check one of those, huh?

Ok sorry, I'm done complaining.

Of course these guys are right, but it is a huge pet peeve of mine. Very few fighters routinely check kicks against guys know for leg kicks and it makes me fucking mental. Just because you are in an MMA stance doesn't mean you can't check a kick once and a while. If you're fighting Jose Aldo, maybe you check one of those, huh?

Yeah it's also something that annoys the hell out of me too. What I notice is someone will take about 4 or 5 good ones and then attempt to check them but it's often too late and the damage is done. You don't even have to stay in a checking stance all the time, it's just like having a tight shell with your gloves, you only need to do it if you have lots of punches coming in.

But like you say if you are facing someone like Aldo, be ready to check just like if you are facing Hendo you keep your left hand up.

Well said. I was dying when I was watching Lawler vs Hendricks 2. Lawler keep getting leg kicked. I was calling exactly when the kicks were coming too. If I can see it, I don't see why Lawler don't.

The funny thing is that most times guys try to check against Aldo, he just punches them until they put their leg down then kicks it even harder.

possible
Tyrone-Spong-vs.-Gokhan-Saki-sm.gif

coreyhilllegbreak.gif

counters
wxZZzo.gif

8XECep.gif
TVScRA.gif

been working on this alternative
WP0Vfb.gif

Back