Multiple attackers.

-depends on situation & location
-depends on the opponents (physical strength & how many)
-depends on the reasons behind opponents attack on you (i,e: just to punk you out or is it to kill you? )
-depends on your skill level (physical,mental conditioning)
-depends on whether or not they are armed

It's a math game. The more that are against you, the lesser of chance you will have at surviving such an encounter.

Urijah Faber claimed to take on multiple attackers on his visit to Bali.

Aikido, although not the most perfect style, is fairly effective with multiples and work alot with stacking and combining attacks.

Systema(russian spetznaz)style also has some good stuff on fighting multiples.

In my experience, I got jumped by seven guys with crobars, bats etc. and the thing i noticed was that they DO somtimes hesitate so as to avoid hitting one of their buddies.

All that said, fight dirty-they are!

aaron_mag said:
I'm the one that said that. I believe what I said was that the best thing to do was take the element of surprise and hit the first two hard and run like hell. I've actually had students who people tried to mug and this is exactly what they did.

Look we practice three on one sparring ourselves. The idea is exactly what you guys have talked about (only fight one at a time, move, if you're bigger clinch one and swing him into others). But we also understand the reality of it. We practice it, but we aren't 'effective' at it. Certainly not effective enough that I wouldn't elect to run like hell if I was confronted with such a situation.

I've had people who take Krav Maga tell me they practice full contact with one guy sparring against the whole class. Please! How stupid do they think I am? They actually expect me to believe they spar like 5 people when they can haul off and front kick them with everything they got in the ribs? If that is the case then I have to say their techniques suck, because I can drop a guy with one kick if I catch them right and I can definitely be dropped if I eat one.

I should also add there are plenty of examples of a competitive and athletic guy beating down two are three people, especially if they are bigger than all the guys they are fighting. But when you throw in the chance of being knifed, hit with something big and heavy, etc, etc...

It just isn't worth the risk.

Dude -- whoever told you that they did that in their Krav Maga class was partly right. They do practice one person sparring against the whole class, but primarily as a drill...NOT to prep you for a real fight situation. In fact, Krav Maga teaches one to basically do what you recommend...disable the threat and then get the H out of there! They also teach you to grab the weakest person, if a group's trying to fight you, get him in a good muay thai clench, and use him as a personal shield.

Kyun said:
Urijah Faber claimed to take on multiple attackers on his visit to Bali.

He was also running from them the whole time. It was a good interview & he was trying to be all cool about it, but you could tell he was scared when it was happening. Anybody with half a brain would be in that situation.

There are no right or wrong answers to this debate. Every situation is different. All you can do is go with your gut & hope for the best.

you can always adapt it .... its always hard but not impossible

Back