My first day at Alliance - ATL

gianna_michaels.jpg

are you at liberty to pass along some of these sacred details?

my brother? (6-1, 205?)... is there another Jordan there maybe?

I'm hesitant about the details, because 1) thinking selfishly, I paid a hell of a lot for the private and 2) not so selfishly, that's how Cobrinha makes his living, so giving it out for free is kinda bad. I will say that I went from sitting pretty tall and head up to being crouched over with my butt about knee level. Very awkward at first but VERY effective.

And the Jordan I worked with is about 5'9" 150.

I'm hesitant about the details, because 1) thinking selfishly, I paid a hell of a lot for the private and 2) not so selfishly, that's how Cobrinha makes his living, so giving it out for free is kinda bad. I will say that I went from sitting pretty tall and head up to being crouched over with my butt about knee level. Very awkward at first but VERY effective.

And the Jordan I worked with is about 5'9" 150.

Gotta be Jordon Schulz, a badass purple belt that used to train in Buffalo but moved down to ATL to take up bjj full time.

He posts here occasionally as Ringwerm. He posted a lot about going to brazil and training with de la Riva for like 3 months or something. Really cool guy and I wish him the best next week at the pan ams.

It seems like a lot of the dominant Bjjers make it to Brazil at some point in their career.

Man I need to go to Brazil.

It seems like a lot of the dominant Bjjers make it to Brazil at some point in their career.

You and me both :(

I think Brazil is more about going to the Mecca of jiu-jitsu, and more about the trip itself. I've heard a lot of guys argue that top notch training can be found here in America in places like So Cal, NYC, Atlanta, etc. My mom lives south of Atlanta, so I'm hoping to stay down there for 3 weeks this summer to train at Alliance. See if you have family or friends that you can stay with in one of those big cities, or maybe rent a short-term room or something. Staying with someone lets you get top notch training for a hell of a lot less. Although all things being equal, what makes Brazil so damn expensive is the plane ticket! :icon_neut

I think Brazil is more about going to the Mecca of jiu-jitsu, and more about the trip itself. I've heard a lot of guys argue that top notch training can be found here in America in places like So Cal, NYC, Atlanta, etc. My mom lives south of Atlanta, so I'm hoping to stay down there for 3 weeks this summer to train at Alliance. See if you have family or friends that you can stay with in one of those big cities, or maybe rent a short-term room or something. Staying with someone lets you get top notch training for a hell of a lot less. Although all things being equal, what makes Brazil so damn expensive is the plane ticket! :icon_neut

Yeah I hear ya. I think the main thing is that you get top notch training, and that basically all you do is train, a lot. Here I have good training, but also a job, family etc...

my brother? (6-1, 205?)... is there another Jordan there maybe?

There are at least 3 Jordans there now. The one Hillary is referring to is Jordan Schultz (As Anaconda mentioned). He's really good and does almost nothing but train it seems.

I hear ya. This one's pretty useful. Look at how damn low he gets after he breaks the second grip (1:48). He's just hanging out there pointing out the right hand grip like he's on a park bench, but is in this crazy low balance position... unreal

Hillary, I am glad you got so much out of the training there. Every time I read or hear an interview with Jacare the man just seems to have a lot of class and comes across as someone you want to learn from. As for Cobrinha, the guy is just on a whole other level than almost anyone else in the world. I am sure you can't help but learn from him.

Congratulations on the sponsorship and good luck at the Pan Ams. I hope you clean out your division!

I think Brazil is more about going to the Mecca of jiu-jitsu, and more about the trip itself. I've heard a lot of guys argue that top notch training can be found here in America in places like So Cal, NYC, Atlanta, etc.

You're right. Brazil is about the trip. I trained a lot of places in the US before I went to Brazil, but the three months total I spent in Brazil have changed my life. Here in the US, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a cool hobby. You do it to have fun after your job or college classes, and you generally are at least middle class. In Brazil, not all, but for a lot of the guys, a gi is one of their better possessions. Jiu jitsu was their passion and their escape. Many of my friends, especially at a couple gyms, didn't have internet, couldn't eat out, and couldn't go to the movies...but they'd pay the bus ride to the gym every day and they'd figure out a way to scramble up gym dues. Those who were middle class still put their heart and soul into it...it just seems like so much more of a lifestyle there and you really get into it. On top of that, living there on my own forced me to accept and absorb a new culture with new social rules, a new language, and different customs. People in Rio are very open, passionate, and essentially live with their hearts on their sleeves but it's a great escape from the normal coldness of many Americans. I made some friends just bumping into people that I send or receive a call to at least once a week. It opened me up as a person, made me even more passionate about jiu jitsu, and the people and beauty can't be matched.

You're right. Brazil is about the trip. I trained a lot of places in the US before I went to Brazil, but the three months total I spent in Brazil have changed my life. Here in the US, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a cool hobby. You do it to have fun after your job or college classes, and you generally are at least middle class. In Brazil, not all, but for a lot of the guys, a gi is one of their better possessions. Jiu jitsu was their passion and their escape. Many of my friends, especially at a couple gyms, didn't have internet, couldn't eat out, and couldn't go to the movies...but they'd pay the bus ride to the gym every day and they'd figure out a way to scramble up gym dues. Those who were middle class still put their heart and soul into it...it just seems like so much more of a lifestyle there and you really get into it. On top of that, living there on my own forced me to accept and absorb a new culture with new social rules, a new language, and different customs. People in Rio are very open, passionate, and essentially live with their hearts on their sleeves but it's a great escape from the normal coldness of many Americans. I made some friends just bumping into people that I send or receive a call to at least once a week. It opened me up as a person, made me even more passionate about jiu jitsu, and the people and beauty can't be matched.

Hey Hillray thanks for the insight. I remember Batista (Antonio Peinado from Alliance SP) tell me that when he came up he would have to chose between paying for something to eat or the bus to the gym. So he either went hungry and paid for the bus, or ran the risk of getting caught without a ticket but being able to eat...

Isn't it true though that on average the density of higher belts per class is higher than in the US?

Hey Hillray thanks for the insight. I remember Batista (Antonio Peinado from Alliance SP) tell me that when he came up he would have to chose between paying for something to eat or the bus to the gym. So he either went hungry and paid for the bus, or ran the risk of getting caught without a ticket but being able to eat...

Isn't it true though that on average the density of higher belts per class is higher than in the US?

Yes, because it's been around longer. Even at gyms where the mats were 10 ft by 14 ft (I went to several like that) there would be 2-3 BBs. Bigger gyms could have up to 20-25. GFTeam HQ would have a few blue and purple belts, 5-10 brown belts, and about 20 BBs at any given time. It was NUTS.

UPDATE: Master Ricardo Murgel is an 8th Degree BJJ black belt under the IBJJF and currently owns his own gym in Alpharetta, GA called Union Team BJJ. His organization is called Union Team BJJ Organization (still alive and strong) with affiliates in the US, Brazil, and Eastern Europe. Here is the facebook page. Master Murgel's program focuses on Gi, No Gi, and Judo techniques, as he's also a black belt in Judo under the Judo Brazilian Federation.

Back