My First Tournament

Unr8dBJJ

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I'm training to compete in my first Tournament in October, White Belt one stripe. Been training since Christmas. I'm excited, and nervous. I'm 5"11 193lbs, looking to drop to 170 for this tournament then maybe push for 155 later on.

So far I've just been training basics, nothing fancy to catch someone with just drilling basics. I realize some people have the fear of competing in tournaments and have their ego crushed if they lose, honestly I love MMA and Jiu-Jitsu too much not to enjoy it win or lose.

However I don't have the smoothest shoot takedowns (I am working on it though)
I was just curious if they are some non-shoot/wrestling takedowns I could start to utilize. haven't had any luck finding one I'm comfortable with.

Thanks, also I'd like to hear about some of your first tournament experiences.

Hello Everyone

I'm training to compete in my first Tournament in October, White Belt one stripe. Been training since Christmas. I'm excited, and nervous. I'm 5"11 193lbs, looking to drop to 170 for this tournament then maybe push for 155 later on.

So far I've just been training basics, nothing fancy to catch someone with just drilling basics. I realize some people have the fear of competing in tournaments and have their ego crushed if they lose, honestly I love MMA and Jiu-Jitsu too much not to enjoy it win or lose.

However I don't have the smoothest shoot takedowns (I am working on it though)
I was just curious if they are some non-shoot/wrestling takedowns I could start to utilize. haven't had any luck finding one I'm comfortable with.

Thanks, also I'd like to hear about some of your first tournament experiences.

are you training for NAGA in Boca by any chance?

No for a local provincial tournament here in Canada,

and sorry it'll be a Gi format tournament with no-Gi as well, first tournament of it's kind here, Submission only, no decisions

Dude, I wouldn't recommend cutting all that weight for your first tournament. i wouldn't recommend cutting all that weight for a bjj tourney period. Joe riggs cut the exact same amount of weight on Fight master (bellator reality show) and he struggled to do it and it looked miserable.

193 to 170 for white belt? No way man. You'll be so burned out and depleted you won't be able to perform.

I decided a long time ago that unless I'm getting paid I'm not losing more than 10 lbs.

grow some balls and fight your own weight. only bullies want to fight smaller people.

If you have some body fat to lose then the 181 middle weight division might be a good goal for you. -15 lbs or so.

Have you ever dieted? You're losing over a stone and a half which is hard work. Don't bother.

A good throw for taller people is the uchi mata. Find it and learn it. Or pull guard.

I'd second the weight cut advice. I'm cutting a measly four pounds for weigh-in tomorrow, tournament the day after. It blows.

Anyway, I've been at this about the same amount of time as you have (started toward the end of December.) When shooting is tough, I like using snap-downs, arm drags, and duck-unders as an initial move, then shoot a double leg if they counter. They usually end up in pretty bad position, so my crappy-ass double works well enough to get the job done.

Thanks guys for the weight cut advice.

If I can stay on track to do it I'll shoot for 170lbs but if not it's something I'll keep aiming for. I've always had a pretty crazy metabolism and I've just recently been putting on weight, even with training I haven't focused much on my diet so Maybe I'll go in and take on whoever they put me against.

But 170lbs is a goal and I will get there, this tournament was just extra motivation, but if what you guys are saying turns out to be even worse in reality, I'll pace it out.

thanks guys

and thanks for those who suggested those takedowns, I'll get to work on learning those.

If you're dieting down that's different, I think we assumed you were dropping the pounds purely for the tournament. Cutting that much weight is fine, but not just for a small regiona competition.

Yea my mistake guys

Should have opened with "Oh and the 193-170lbs drop is to get into better shape, I'm looking at doing MMA later in the future but 170lbs feels like my range and I feel positive about making the drop, But I've had people tell me, 20 pounds in 11 weeks is easy, some have said "DON'T DO IT" and others have said " you do ji-jiu...what?"

I'm in pretty good shape now, 193lbs is just what I'm at now with more fat, and a very poor diet plan. I don't eat breakfast hardly anymore, snacking late at night. I try to avoid most fast food places and I currently take no supplements.

Yeh probably good to just get your diet sorted in general then mate. Will probably make a difference to your training .

I wouldn't try and learn anything new, stick to what you know. I competed in my first tournament 2 weeks ago. I've only been training for exactly a month up until that day. I did really well in gi but made 2 stupid mistakes causing me to lose the first match by submission and I got DQ'd second match. (Knee reaping.)

I placed 3rd in no-gi.

My advice-

Stick to what you know
Don't do anything you wouldn't do while rolling (no new fancy moves)
Get comfortable starting from stand up
Get familiar with the rules

As for the take downs, I won my last match by snapping my opponent down and putting him into a guillotine. I thought the snap down was pretty efficient. Good luck and have fun!

Back