My Sister's Wedding

P

Pugilistic

In a week my sister is getting married. I know it's a big deal and my parents are intimately involved with the planning and freaking out about it. My mom is even more neurotic than she usually is. My dad is pushing me to try to develop a relationship with my would-be brother-in-law and other than that he seems like a normal guy (not a manlet), I don't really give a shit about him either.

I know that weddings are big deals for most people but I find myself not really giving a shit about it, even though it's my sister's and I wonder if that makes me a weirdo. I can't even force myself to care. When I first heard that she's getting married, my thought process went, "Good for her. I hope she's happy." And that was it.

I think the whole concept of marriage is weird in the first place. To top it off I am not close to my sister at all. She's pretty much a stranger to me and we are nothing alike as people. I know brothers are supposed to be protective of their sisters but when I first heard that she was dating this dude years ago, I didn't want to get involved at all. She's a grown woman and she can make her own choices.

This also touches upon the fact that I've felt very distant from my family as a whole since I was young which is probably the biggest factor in my reaction. One of my best friends is getting married next year and I feel happier and more excited for him than for my sister.

But of course I'm attending, not because I really want to, but because as the brother, I have to be there to represent my family and greet people and shit. I am not looking forward to having my older relatives nag me about finding a girlfriend and getting married since my younger sister is getting married. I'm driving my grandmother to the wedding and she is going to nag me so much.

After the wedding, I will probably not see my sister again much for the rest of my life because she will be busy with her job and her new life as a wife. She'll probably have kids too.

I don't know what to feel about this. I actually don't feel much of anything but I feel like I should because it's my sister.

Thoughts?

TLDR:
1. My little sister is getting married.
2. I am apathetic.
3. Do I really have to care?

It is your sisters wedding dogg, it has nothing to do with you. Permission not to give a fuck.

I have a sister I've not seen in... at least twenty years. Don't even know her number, only met her husband once.

I don't expect to see her. You don't have any obligation to care, just to show up.
No need to pretend to give a shit about any of it beyond simple smiling and arms length friendliness.

Well if you don't want relatives to " nag me about finding a girlfriend and getting married"
Tell them quietly that your gay, tell someone else your getting a sex change, another that your into bestiality, and another that "after your sister, relationships can't compare"

they'll leave you alone

In a week my sister is getting married. I know it's a big deal and my parents are intimately involved with the planning and freaking out about it. My mom is even more neurotic than she usually is. My dad is pushing me to try to develop a relationship with my would-be brother-in-law and other than that he seems like a normal guy (not a manlet), I don't really give a shit about him either.

I know that weddings are big deals for most people but I find myself not really giving a shit about it, even though it's my sister's and I wonder if that makes me a weirdo. I can't even force myself to care. When I first heard that she's getting married, my thought process went, "Good for her. I hope she's happy." And that was it.

I think the whole concept of marriage is weird in the first place. To top it off I am not close to my sister at all. She's pretty much a stranger to me and we are nothing alike as people. I know brothers are supposed to be protective of their sisters but when I first heard that she was dating this dude years ago, I didn't want to get involved at all. She's a grown woman and she can make her own choices.

This also touches upon the fact that I've felt very distant from my family as a whole since I was young which is probably the biggest factor in my reaction. One of my best friends is getting married next year and I feel happier and more excited for him than for my sister.

But of course I'm attending, not because I really want to, but because as the brother, I have to be there to represent my family and greet people and shit. I am not looking forward to having my older relatives nag me about finding a girlfriend and getting married since my younger sister is getting married. I'm driving my grandmother to the wedding and she is going to nag me so much.

After the wedding, I will probably not see my sister again much for the rest of my life because she will be busy with her job and her new life as a wife. She'll probably have kids too.

I don't know what to feel about this. I actually don't feel much of anything but I feel like I should because it's my sister.

Thoughts?

TLDR:
2. I am apathetic.
Well, it sounds like maybe not having a girlfriend could be a bit of the cause here. You don't want to be the outcast.

If you thought they will actually last, you would care and be genuinely excited for it.

The fact that you dont means you subconsciously can sense that this little marriage wont last more than 5 years, which isn't surprising these days.

I dont even know your sister or her to-be husband and even I would bet my life savings they dont make it to 10 years.

You don't seem to care alot about your sister? Good. The more the reason to bang the bridesmaid and not call her the next day

Also, post pic of your sister naked to proof this story is real. Her covering her private parts will be accepted

If you thought they will actually last, you would care and be genuinely excited for it.

The fact that you dont means you subconsciously can sense that this little marriage wont last more than 5 years, which isn't surprising these days.

I dont even know your sister or her to-be husband and even I would bet my life savings they dont make it to 10 years.
Depends if she's gonna marry an asian as well. Asians ride it out no matter how tough or horrible the relationship is. Separation is a shamefur dispray.

Thoughts?

TLDR:
2. I am apathetic.
giphy.webp

Get drunk. Bang everyone.

Kind of a weird conclusion to draw. I don't care because my sister is virtually a stranger to me.
I would bet they last decades at least just because of the culture and religion they're in.

Depends if she's gonna marry an asian as well. Asians ride it out no matter how tough or horrible the relationship is. Separation is a shamefur dispray.

It's a Korean guy and we all live in Korea so there is an even heavier culture aspect to this.

My plan is to just be there, eat the food, and go home. Maybe my sister has some cute friends and I'll stay longer. Who knows.

I've been to one wedding and that was my oldest brother's wedding. We're close and I was one of the groomsmen but I still didn't really give a fuck about the ceremony.

Mostly because my brother and his wife were already living together before the wedding so there was no significant change. It was basically just a family reunion / party.

Sherbro, I’m sorry for you that you don’t feel any connection to your sister, or the rest of your family. You should definitely cherish your family while you have them, because you never know what tomorrow could bring. And let your grandma nag you, she probably just wants to see you happy.
It seems like you’re pretty willing to just write your sister off for dead, the way you say you’ll probably never see her again after you go to her wedding. I would advise you to make an effort to have a relationship. even if you’re nothing alike as people, you can still have a bond.
My brother and I were pretty different people. He was a junkie and in and out of prison for a long time before he turned his life around, but today I can’t think of anyone who has my back more than he does, and I have his too.
Don’t take you’re family for granted.

he seems like a normal guy (not a manlet)
Why are you so insecure? Didn't you just start a thread asking if people thought they were good looking?

It's funny how insecure about themselves Sherdoggers are. I guess it comes with being on an MMA forum. It attracts certain people who lack so they train and overcompensate.

Grow a pair lol

I have a sister I've not seen in... at least twenty years. Don't even know her number, only met her husband once.

I don't expect to see her. You don't have any obligation to care, just to show up.
No need to pretend to give a shit about any of it beyond simple smiling and arms length friendliness.
I don't get this. My older brother was awful to me as s kid. But we're still close. I'm very close to my little brother also.
I see them like every three years and it's rough. I don't see how you can just let family bonds fade like that .

Back