My trip to visit Kurt Ossiander

Good luck CashBill! Hope you even up the score so Mundials can be the Rubber Match! :)

Thank you, Platfox... I do believe in luck. There are so many things out of our control when we compete. Missed calls, slips, freak injuries, bad ref decision, bad on the road food, etc... If luck helps me to victory then, I will take it.

Kurt is a great guy. He fought for my promotion back in the day. Also had one of his fighters beat one of mine but then pop for Roids:(.

He is your typical layer back surfer tough guy you find in San Fran! Real character!!:icon_excl

Thank you, Platfox... I do believe in luck. There are so many things out of our control when we compete. Missed calls, slips, freak injuries, bad ref decision, bad on the road food, etc... If luck helps me to victory then, I will take it.

True dat! So along with "good luck" I'll wish you "good skill" as well! :)

Nice matches today CashBill! Sick choke in the semis.

That was a tough ref's decision in the finals.

Nice matches today CashBill! Sick choke in the semis.

That was a tough ref's decision in the finals.

Kurt's dog bit him on the hand so he had to drop out of the competition. He's out for next week too.

Last edited:
Grats Bill!

On a separate note, part of me does wonder what kind of dog Kurt has...

It's a pit bull. (I think) He and his wife were arguing over something and the dog maybe tried to protect her. He showed me the stitches. I told him that as a teacher, I hear the old "My dog ate my homework" all the time. It adds to the mystique for sure...

Much respect to Kurt. He'll be back soon...

Kurt's dog bit him on the hand so he had to drop out of the competition. He's out for next week too.

Were you looking to set up the brabo with that under the arm lapel grip? It's my favorite choke from top, so I was hoping to see if you did anything different!

Were you looking to set up the brabo with that under the arm lapel grip? It's my favorite choke from top, so I was hoping to see if you did anything different!

Brabo, baseball bat, spin, bread cutter, are my options from there. I didn't have enough slack so I went to my current favorite; bow and arrow.

Having retired in 2004 after 21 years in the Navy prepared me for salty guys like Kurt. The thing that stood out for me during my very short visit was how nice he was. With a contagious smile and cheerful demeanor that also carried over to the students I interacted with.

When I visited Caio Terra's, he seemed nice enough but all business. His guys were nice enough too.

I visited Pablo Popovitch's place in Ft. Lauderdale, he wasn't there but the place wasn't at all friendly. I think one guy talked to me briefly and everyone else look right thru me as if I wasn't event there. I took the fundamentals class and was planning on taking the advanced class afterward but just didn't feel comfortable. I called it a night.

Back