My trip to visit Kurt Ossiander

KikoJones

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So I'm traveling for work this week and was lucky enough to stop in to San Francisco. I landed at 5 and hurried to the hotel to drop off my suit case and change. The hotel was nice enough to give me a lift to the BART station and I was in downtown in about 30 min. Super cheap way to travel. A 5 min trek down from the Civic Center train stop to Ralph Gracies and I had arrived.
Walking in and the smell of battle was thick. A bit overwhelming to be honest. After my lungs adjusted, I stepped up to the counter and behind it was none other than Kurt. With his Old man glasses on he was playing with his tablet. He looked up and with at HUGE smile, greeted me, feeling immediately at ease. The dude is so likeable! He handed me the waiver form and took my $35 drop in fee, which I gladly paid.
The gym is...well...what I would call an old school MMA/BJJ gym. One side for MMA/Muay Thai and the other had Huge mat space. You know that you're there to "Fuckin Train".

After slipping into my weathered Black Tatami 2.0, I headed to the mat area to watch the rolling and wait patiently for the 7:30 pm class. I wasn't there 2 min when someone asked me to roll. As a guest you never say "No". Told the guy that I was cold and wanted to go easy to warm up and he was cool. I freakin old and I got to get my body lubed up.
A couple of rounds later, the 7:30 class was called. It was primarily attended by Whites and a couple of Blues. The warmed up was led by one of Kurt's Blue belts. Started with standard stuff but lots of Jumping Jacks and squats. Also Drilled Seo Nagi then Tsuri-Goshi.
A little later Kurt comes in to show a relatively basic technique. Understandable for the audience. We drilled it and he hopped from pair to pair to inspect their execution. We finished up the class by rolling. Rolling a lot. As a guest I normally just sit there until someone picks me. I might also raise my hand to let them know that I'm available.

Overall, an AWESOME experience. Great vibe and super welcoming.

67208_10204284402463575_2151839870310958501_n.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm traveling to work this week and was lucky enough to stop in a San Francisco. I landed at 5 and hurried to the hotel to drop off my suit case and change. The hotel was nice enough to give me a lift to the BART station. I was in downtown in about 30 min. Super cheap way to travel. A 5 min trek down from the Civic Center train stop to Ralph Gracies and I had arrived.
Walked in and the smell of battle was thick. A bit overwhelming to be honest. After my lungs adjusted, I stepped up to the counter and behind it was none other than Kurt. With his Old man glasses on he was playing with his tablet. He looked up and with at HUGE smile he greeted me and made me feel at ease immediately. The dude is so likeable! He handed me the waiver form and informed me that there was a $35 drop in fee, which I was gladly paid.
The gym is...well...what I would call an old school MMA/BJJ gym. One side was for MMA/Muay Thai and the other was Huge mat space. You know that you're there to "Fuckin Train".

After slipping into my weathered Black Tatami 2.0, I headed to the mat area to watch the rolling and wait patiently for the 7:30 pm class. I wasn't there 2 min when someone asked me to roll. As a guest you never say "No". Told the guy that I wanted to go easy to warm up and he was down. I freakin old and I got to get my body lubed up.
The 7:30 class was called and it was primarily attended by Whites and a couple of Blues. We were warmed up by one of Kurt's Blue belts. Standard stuff really but lots of Jumping Jacks and squats though. Drilled Seo Nagi then Tsuri-Goshi.
A little later Kurt comes in and shows a relatively basic technique. Understandable for the audience. We drilled and he hopped from pair to pair to inspect their execution. We finished up the class by rolling. Rolling a lot. As a guest I normally just sit there until someone picks me. I might raise my hand to let them know that I'm available.

Overall, an AWESOME experience. Great vibe and super welcoming.

67208_10204284402463575_2151839870310958501_n.jpg

Great Picture. Thanks for sharing

Sounds awesome. I've been wanting to train there for a while!

First time I met Kurt was the first time I had ever seen him also. I had only heard his name. He shattered the traditional image I had of a bjj instructor. I had only previously met instructors who were very formal, zen or stoic - like in manner, none had long rock and roll hair, tattoos and cussed like a truck driver. But Kurt has this really cool way of talking shit and cussing at you without offending you.

At the first class I attended he started by talking about how he hated white belts and how useless they were. He cussed at people when they were slackin off. But no one took offense. It was like an older brother or uncle yelling at you. Really cool dude.

First time I met Kurt was the first time I had ever seen him also. I had only heard his name. He shattered the traditional image I had of a bjj instructor. I had only previously met instructors who were very formal, zen or stoic - like in manner, none had long rock and roll hair, tattoos and cussed like a truck driver. But Kurt has this really cool way of talking shit and cussing at you without offending you.

At the first class I attended he started by talking about how he hated white belts and how useless they were. He cussed at people when they were slackin off. But no one took offense. It was like an older brother or uncle yelling at you. Really cool dude.

He sounds hilarious, hahah.

That guy is hilarious.
It would've been funny if he said one of his cliches when he welcomed you to the gym...
"Bro...you fawked up a long time ago!"

He is like the Randy Machoman Savage of bjj.

Awesome...Thanks for sharing.. He's one of those guys to train with that's on my bucket list

I have never understood the reason people think he is the best thing since sliced bread
There are many great coaches in the bay
He definetly is a love em or hate him guy
And yes I've trained there multiple times

I have never understood the reason people think he is the best thing since sliced bread
There are many great coaches in the bay
He definetly is a love em or hate him guy
And yes I've trained there multiple times

I don't recall too many people proclaiming him the best or eveb an elite instructor. Just that he's a super cool dude that is fun to train with. But I will say it now, he is an awesome instructor. He breaks down moves quickly. He doesn't blab on too long. He also is a straight shooter. If you aren't doing something right, he'll get in your ass to make sure you do. He's old school but has adjusted accordingly to modern jiu jitsu. He still competes, so he has to stay updated. In fact, he's competing this weekend at the US Open.

I don't recall too many people proclaiming him the best or eveb an elite instructor. Just that he's a super cool dude that is fun to train with. But I will say it now, he is an awesome instructor. He breaks down moves quickly. He doesn't blab on too long. He also is a straight shooter. If you aren't doing something right, he'll get in your ass to make sure you do. He's old school but has adjusted accordingly to modern jiu jitsu. He still competes, so he has to stay updated. In fact, he's competing this weekend at the US Open.

Yes, he is competing against a very young good looking guy on Sunday morning at 9 a.m. You can watch it online at bjjtour.com.

Rematch time.

Much respect to Kurt. It will be a pleasure to compete against him again.

Yes, he is competing against a very young good looking guy on Sunday morning at 9 a.m. You can watch it online at bjjtour.com.

Rematch time.

Much respect to Kurt. It will be a pleasure to compete against him again.

Really looking forward to this match. Good luck Bill!

Really looking forward to this match. Good luck Bill!

It is just a coincidence. We happen to be around the same age, weight, and hair style. I think we are both using this tournament as a tune up for next week's Worlds.

9 am Sunday morning...

Live stream for free http://bjjtour.com

Last edited:
Good luck CashBill! Hope you even up the score so Mundials can be the Rubber Match! :)

Back