Nastalgia

I remember except the part about paying $30. Because here in the UK we got them for free.

I believe it went from $30-35 permanently for the Couture vs Liddell 3 fight.

Does anyone remember the days we would wait 3 months for a ppv...but it was always stacked and a must have to buy. Even as a senior in high school I could come up with the money, which was $30 back then. There was just so much more anticipation for the event back then.
Yeah, those were called PRIDE fights. I remember.

Does anyone remember the days we would wait 3 months for a ppv...but it was always stacked and a must have to buy. Even as a senior in high school I could come up with the money, which was $30 back then. There was just so much more anticipation for the event back then.
Yep, I was just looking through the next few UFC events, 228 & 229 really don't have much I'm interested in. 230 on the other hand is looking like one of those old cards

I guess it has more to do with how fewer fighters I care to watch these days rather than what is deemed 'great' by the masses

Back then I would wait until the fights were over before drinking, didn’t want to miss anything lol. Even at UFC 100 live I refused to drink. Maybe it was a bigger deal because it was new to me?

WTF? I started watching UFC in 1994. My first ever was UFC 3 The American Dream. I have to seriously disagree with you here. It sounds like you are not so old after all. I was out of college for around a decade before UFC 1! The many NHB fight friends that I hung out with were of similar age. We were ALL of legal drinking age long before ANYTHING that could be construed as MMA existed. We ALL drank and partook in "other chemical refreshment" in every one of the hundreds of MMA (many organizations!) events that we watched from day one!

FFS, We "senior citizen" MMA fans have been through a decade of NFL tailgating prior to the first ever UFC fight. I am talking belligerent sloppy drunk by noon every Sunday home game!!!!!

u spalt the tatle wrang

I'm one of the few people that has no interest in having one card every couple months. I absolutely love having weekly MMA fights. Also, just because there are "names" on the fight card, it certainly does not mean the fight will be good.

Nastalgia sounds like reminiscing about something disgusting.
Oona-Chaplin-Laugh.gif

I'm one of the few people that has no interest in having one card every couple months. I absolutely love having weekly MMA fights. Also, just because there are "names" on the fight card, it certainly does not mean the fight will be good.

When it comes to paying for cards, hell yes I prefer them stacked, but overall I much prefer the era of 40 cards a year.

Nostalgia

The word you are looking for is nostalgia.
Nastalgia sounds like reminiscing about something disgusting.

But yeah, I remember those days. Fans today are spoiled. Not so much with the quality of the cards, but the quantity.
I thought that he was referring to the Gary Goodridge vs. Pedro Octavio fight back in Vale Tudo! That was nAstAlgiA at it's best! Did you watch that NHB fight? You will understand if you do!

Gary inserts his big toe into The Pedro's rectum several times, and failing at the toefuk submission, he quickly transitioned to the hand in the jock strap position to clinch the testicle crouch hold and record the submission win!

ufc cards used to be so stacked that they would put guys like conor mcgregor on fightnight facebook prelims

I for one like more mma. Waiting sucked balls. Had to watch middle of the night bodog reruns just for a fix.

I remember sometimes waiting for a long ass time and then only getting to watch a couple fights. It wasn't that long ago we didn't have access to all the prelims.

Those were the events that made us fall in love with MMA.
The new fans have no idea of how good it used to be.

Here is UFC 31, for example:

Main Card
Heavyweight - Randy Couture (c) vs Pedro Rizzo
Welterweight - Carlos Newton vs Pat Miletich (c)
Light Heavyweight - Chuck Liddell vs Kevin Randleman
Welterweight - Shonie Carter vs Matt Serra
Heavyweight - Semmy Schilt vs Pete Williams
Light Heavyweight - Matt Lindland vs Ricardo Almeida

Prelims
Lightweight - B.J. Penn vs Joey Gilbert
Welterweight - Tony DeSouza vs Steve Berger

The above card had the HW championship and the WW championship belts on the line- I am pretty sure that was half of them as the 185 division was brand new and didn't have a champion yet (I think).

The fight between Rizzo and Couture is one of the best fights ever. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and watch it.

The card also had a top contender match in the up and coming Liddell vs Randleman (who had just lost the HW belt).

Serra was undefeated and had just won CBJJ and was up against UFC veteran and showman Shonie Carter, a very exciting match-up (Great finish).

Semmy Schilt vs Pete Williams was a great mid-card fight. Both were solid vets with good records. Semmy being 7 feet tall was rather intriguing as well.

Lindland vs Almeida was a fight between a recently awarded Olympic silver medalist (wrestling) vs a very accomplished grappler and BJJ player in Almeida.

The above can already be considered an amazingly high quality card but the prelims gave us the debut of BJ Penn. The prodigy was the most exciting BJJ player at the time. If you followed BJJ at the time, you had heard of the Prodigy.

There are no PPV's these days that can hold a candle to the quality of that card.

I've only gotten into watching mma the last couple of years. Got fight pass and watched every season of TUF. Now I'll watch the ppv's starting with UFC 1.

Tony "Nastalgia" Rigatoni has been evading law enforcement for over ten years. If you've seen him you need to call the FBI.

The cards weren't stacked, you just care more about the old fighters than you do the new ones.

Back