Nate Diaz fined $20,000, Suspended Three Months for Homophobic Slur

Rewatched the fight and Miguel Torres 100% beat Demetrius Johnson and it isn't even a discussion honestly.

When a every 6-12 months fighter gets a 3 months suspension.
And a 20k fine after generating media interest worth 100k

Good ol' UFC code of conduct. UFC used it to shine their brand image with it before the most recent social media culture wars took over. Now they have this "anti-woke" marketing strategy where you can say anything even in the press conference to sell the fight as "this is the fight business. People say mean things".

UFC has a history of doing shit like this. Remember when Mike Perry made fun of Hyun Gyu Lim? Maybe it was Perry's corner at that time. But the UFC was supposed to do an investigation, which meant, jack shit lol.

It's 2013? It's before they sold the company and they got mainstream. UFC still had this white trash public image. They use the word now but most people have to apologize. Dana can't even talk shit either since he got in trouble for slapping his wife.

Dana never actually got in trouble for slapping his wife though - not from the organization at least.

In a world of ( I feel) oversensitive people, I find this highly refreshing. The way the ufc have soften their stance. Reminds me of my teen years at school in the late 90s/ early 00s
Quality time to be alive.

Last edited:
Back then censoring speech wasn’t as big as it is now. It’s now political so of course Dana supports free speech now

May 17, 2013

Yj4NYg5.jpg

Nate Diaz's choice of words on Thursday cost him $20,000 the next day.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced Friday both a fine and a three-month suspension for the fighter, stemming from using a homophobic slur on Twitter against fellow competitor Bryan Caraway.

The suspension would put Diaz on the shelf through Aug. 17. While it is likely not to delay his next scheduled fight, it does mean that during his suspension UFC won't book him for any requested paid personal appearances during the period.

"The language used in his tweet was regrettable, offensive and inconsistent with the values and culture of the organization, and is not tolerable," said the statement by Zuffa, the parent company of the UFC.
They also stated that the money will be donated to charity.

Dana White in 2009 used the same word in an emotional diatribe against a reporter and a story, came under fire for it and immediately apologized. On several occasions, White has expressed the view that he realized it was a big mistake to use that word because of what is symbolizes to gays.

7ggkQKL.png

Diaz's manager, Mike Kogan, on Thursday night, defended his client's use of the word, stating that the Urban

Dictionary said the slur he used meant punk, and was not in reference to homosexuals.

Hehehe, I personally think the UFC should create some guidelines and enforce them.

But there would have to be a line in the sand moment, where they literally just said "from now on, none of this will fly", and racism, sexism, homophobia and some of the other red lines would have to be in there.

The funny thing about this is, the occasional headliner could still potentially get away with doing it now and again, getting a fine and a suspension that really wouldn't affect booking patterns lol - but the rest of the roster would be (rightly) expected to behave like professional athletes. The less they do it, the more shocking it is. When these idiots are doing this crap every week, it isn't selling fights.

I get why Dana doesn't want the headache of suspending his favourite fighters for 'drumming up interest', but I honestly think it's time MMA and the UFC moved beyond trash sport nonsense and started behaving like a serious sports league. If they can't do that without sidelining huge sections of society, maybe the UFC needs to do what other major sports leagues do - media train their athletes.

Thank you, that's the one. Has to be the most bizarre cut they've made, especially when you look at UFC now.

He didn't tweet anything about/from It's Always Sunny.

Someone else backpedaled Torres remark,

claiming it was from a tv show,

when it wasn't.

I love that he got a 3 month suspension. It's like giving a pitcher a 5 game suspension when he only has one start in that 5 game stretch. Only it's fighting, so there's a good chance he didn't have a fight for another 6-8 months.

Back